From: LewB on
"I see no problem as long as they are not all running at the same time.
(Same with AV programs, BTW...)"

I get conflicting responses about the AV's on same computer. See this post.

replies inline....

"LewB" <whoislew(a)hotmail.com(sparethespam)> wrote in message
>I have Microsoft Antispyware Program on this computer, apparently
>there
> since 2006. Was this the predecessor of the MSE program and needs to
> be
> removed before downloading MSE? I should be able to disable the
> McAfee and
> then run the MSE to see how the two compare?

By "Microsoft Antispyware Program", I assume you mean Windows
Defender....no? If so, no, you don't have to uninstall it or disable it
to install MSE. MSE installs some updated versions of Defender files,
and disables the Defender interface automatically, so you don't have to
do anything with it.

I do NOT recommend installing MSE or any other AV with McAfee still
installed. Even if it is disabled, it can still cause issues. You
should not install any AV while another AV is installed. Although you
can disable McAfee's resident scanner, its drivers and services are
still loaded, and they can interfere with another AV's drivers and
services.

LB

--
LJB

From: Daave on
I will ammend my statement to reflect that the AV programs need to be
well-mannered. McAfee does not fit that description. :-) That is, even
if you try to configure McAfee in such a way that it is not running,
part of it may very well be running, nevertheless. Personally, I
wouldn't touch McAfee with a ten-foot pole!

But feel free to install both Avira AntiVir and ClamWin (as an example).
Just make sure they're both not running at the same time. This is easy
to do.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Only one (1) anti-virus application should be installed *and loading at
boot* (running in the background) on your computer.