From: Tim Perry on

"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> It is common to run an amp with a continuous power rating around 2x
> the rms rating of a speaker.
>
> I agree it is common, and often done, just as leaving the input
> attentuators to minimum attentuation is.
> I will also agree many many well meaning people will qoute this as gospel,
> Myself, I won't do it, IMO it is foolish to attempt to go around a corner
> at twice the posted speed limit and just as foolish to run 2x the amp into
> a speaker
> but this has been debated ad nausum both here and in other foru,ms and the
> trade magazines
> do so at your own risk, you will get away with it and there is no "one
> number" that is universially considered proper
> Debate it as you will
> I am out of this thread
> George

I have first hand experience with the DTH running with 2 EP2500's bridged.
Cost me a recone.

My DTH is for sale. In perfect operating condition and near new cosmetic
condition with one speakon 8 pole connector.

Make offer.

From: Phildo on

"Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
> On 30/01/2010 01:40, in article hk02vp0147v(a)enews5.newsguy.com, "JWald"
> <wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote:
>
>> I guess I'm stupid. Are you suggesting a re-wire/jumping of the sub
>> input?
>> If so, 1+ to ?
>> Thanks.
>
> You can do it at the sub input, but you can do it also at the sub end of
> the
> cable, inside the Speakon connector.
>
> 1+ to 2+ and 1- to 2-.

But be VERY sure to mark that cable.

Phildo

From: Rupert on
On Jan 31, 7:55 pm, "Tim Perry" <timpe...(a)donespameroadrunner.com>
wrote:
> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bm...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:GuSdnahUx76SsfvWnZ2dnUVZ_rWdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com...
>

> > It is common to run an amp with a continuous power rating around  2x
> > the rms rating of a speaker.
>
> > I agree it is common, and often done, just as leaving the input
> > attentuators to minimum attentuation is.
> > I will also agree many many well meaning people will qoute this as gospel,
> > Myself, I won't do it, IMO it is foolish to attempt to go around a corner
> > at twice the posted speed limit and just as foolish to run 2x the amp into
> > a speaker
> > but this has been debated ad nausum both here and in other foru,ms and the
> > trade magazines
> > do so at your own risk, you will get away with it and there is no "one
> > number" that is universially considered proper
> > Debate it as you will
> > I am out of this thread
> > George
>
> I have first hand experience with the DTH running with 2 EP2500's bridged..
> Cost me a recone.
>
> My DTH is for sale. In perfect operating condition and near new cosmetic
> condition with one speakon 8 pole connector.
>
> Make offer.

Let see, the EP2500 is rated at 1300-1500 watts into 8 ohms bridged
@0.1% THD. If you like to clip a bit on subs, that number can easily
hit over 2000 watts. I'd say you were exceeding the "2x guideline" a
bit if you were powering each 1000 watt program rated driving with one
amp. If you're driving the amp with a processor that's capable of rms
limiting, you can get away with the bigger amp. If not, it's certainly
a gamble - especially with high compressed/low crest factor source
material.

Rupert
From: JWald on
Is that 1 sub or 2?

--
J Wald

From: Rupert on
On Feb 1, 2:09 pm, "JWald" <wl...(a)grics.net> wrote:
> Is that 1 sub or 2?
>
> --
> J Wald
>
> "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... ""Tim Perry" <timpe...(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in message

> > "George's Pro Sound Co." <bm...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> >> It is common to run an amp with a continuous power rating around  2x
> >> the rms rating of a speaker.
>
> >> I agree it is common, and often done, just as leaving the input
> >> attentuators to minimum attentuation is.
> >> I will also agree many many well meaning people will qoute this as
> >> gospel,
> >> Myself, I won't do it, IMO it is foolish to attempt to go around a corner
> >> at twice the posted speed limit and just as foolish to run 2x the amp
> >> into a speaker
> >> but this has been debated ad nausum both here and in other foru,ms and
> >> the trade magazines
> >> do so at your own risk, you will get away with it and there is no "one
> >> number" that is universially considered proper
> >> Debate it as you will
> >> I am out of this thread
> >> George
>
> > I have first hand experience with the DTH running with 2 EP2500's bridged.
> > Cost me a recone.
>
> > My DTH is for sale. In perfect operating condition and near new cosmetic
> > condition with one speakon 8 pole connector.
>
> > Make offer.

If it's the DTH version I'm thinking of, it has 2 drivers which can be
wired independently. Each driver is rated at 1000 watts program, 500
watts rms (there's another version that's rated at 700/350W). You can
drive the box with one or two amps. For economy, I'd say driving it
with 2 is expensive. From the sound of Tim's post, it seems to be a
single box he was driving with 2 amps. FWIW, the DTH sub doesn't go
very low , it only goes down to about 45Hz. If Tim's version is the
700 watt/driver model, than a bridged EP2500 on each driver would be
particularly too powerful.

Rupert