From: Tim Perry on

"JWald" <wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote in message
> Is that 1 sub or 2?
>
> --
> J Wald
>
> "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "
> "Tim Perry" <timperry(a)donespameroadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> It is common to run an amp with a continuous power rating around 2x
>>> the rms rating of a speaker.
>>>
>>> I agree it is common, and often done, just as leaving the input
>>> attentuators to minimum attentuation is.
>>> I will also agree many many well meaning people will qoute this as
>>> gospel,
>>> Myself, I won't do it, IMO it is foolish to attempt to go around a
>>> corner at twice the posted speed limit and just as foolish to run 2x the
>>> amp into a speaker
>>> but this has been debated ad nausum both here and in other foru,ms and
>>> the trade magazines
>>> do so at your own risk, you will get away with it and there is no "one
>>> number" that is universially considered proper
>>> Debate it as you will
>>> I am out of this thread
>>> George
>>>

>> I have first hand experience with the DTH running with 2 EP2500's
>> bridged. Cost me a recone.
>>
>> My DTH is for sale. In perfect operating condition and near new cosmetic
>> condition with one speakon 8 pole connector.
>>
>> Make offer.

just one... it used to live in a church somewhere.

From: Tim Perry on

"Rupert" <foodsteaks(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 31, 7:55 pm, "Tim Perry" <timpe...(a)donespameroadrunner.com>
wrote:
> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bm...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
> messagenews:GuSdnahUx76SsfvWnZ2dnUVZ_rWdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com...
>

> > It is common to run an amp with a continuous power rating around 2x
> > the rms rating of a speaker.
>
> > I agree it is common, and often done, just as leaving the input
> > attentuators to minimum attentuation is.
> > I will also agree many many well meaning people will qoute this as
> > gospel,
> > Myself, I won't do it, IMO it is foolish to attempt to go around a
> > corner
> > at twice the posted speed limit and just as foolish to run 2x the amp
> > into
> > a speaker
> > but this has been debated ad nausum both here and in other foru,ms and
> > the
> > trade magazines
> > do so at your own risk, you will get away with it and there is no "one
> > number" that is universially considered proper
> > Debate it as you will
> > I am out of this thread
> > George
>
> I have first hand experience with the DTH running with 2 EP2500's bridged.
> Cost me a recone.
>
> My DTH is for sale. In perfect operating condition and near new cosmetic
> condition with one speakon 8 pole connector.
>
> Make offer.

>Let see, the EP2500 is rated at 1300-1500 watts into 8 ohms bridged
@0.1% THD. If you like to clip a bit on subs, that number can easily
hit over 2000 watts. I'd say you were exceeding the "2x guideline" a
bit if you were powering each 1000 watt program rated driving with one
amp. If you're driving the amp with a processor that's capable of rms
limiting, you can get away with the bigger amp. If not, it's certainly
a gamble - especially with high compressed/low crest factor source
material.

>Rupert

When I screw up I'll admit it. There were 100 + boot scooters dancing that
night and it was the first time I had used the box. The band had switched to
an E-drummer so with zero feedback problems I could push it like a DJ
system. The Show went on as these were just supplementing the system I had
been using.

I used it last summer as a backline bass rig. All the bass players liked it
a lot. Some of the guitar players used it also. I added a 2-way 15" speaker
when they did.

I think one time I even had 2 guitars using the speaker at the same time....
when was the last time you ever saw that happen?

From: JWald on
"Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message

> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>> On 30/01/2010 01:40, in article hk02vp0147v(a)enews5.newsguy.com, "JWald"
>> <wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess I'm stupid. Are you suggesting a re-wire/jumping of the sub
>>> input?
>>> If so, 1+ to ?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> You can do it at the sub input, but you can do it also at the sub end of
>> the
>> cable, inside the Speakon connector.
>>
>> 1+ to 2+ and 1- to 2-.
>
> But be VERY sure to mark that cable.
>
> Phildo

Thanks. What are the concerns?

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message

>>> You can do it at the sub input, but you can do it also at the sub end of
>>> the
>>> cable, inside the Speakon connector.
>>>
>>> 1+ to 2+ and 1- to 2-.
>>
>> But be VERY sure to mark that cable.
>>
>> Phildo
>>

> Thanks. What are the concerns?
> --
> J Wald
>
> "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "
that you do not use it to feed a bi-amp box as pins 2+/2- feed the hf
drivers and ifyou have jumped 1+ to 2+ and 1- to 2- you will be feeding lf
content to hf driver, that is not good
george

From: JWald on

> "JWald" <wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote in message
>> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message

>>> But be VERY sure to mark that cable.
>>>
>>> Phildo
>>>

>> Thanks. What are the concerns?
>> --
>> J Wald
>>
>> "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "

> that you do not use it to feed a bi-amp box as pins 2+/2- feed the hf
> drivers and ifyou have jumped 1+ to 2+ and 1- to 2- you will be feeding lf
> content to hf driver, that is not good
> george

Roger that.
I guess I was thinking that the 1 side of the input was feeding both hi and
low thru the internal x-over, and the 2 side was just there doing nothing. I
shoulda' knowed better. Thanks.