From: David Jennings on
Send $500.00 per agreement. RSVP. daj

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David Jennings" <davidajennings(a)verizon.net> wrote:

>Send $500.00 per agreement. RSVP. daj

Ummm, what agreement?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: David W. Fenton on

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> This release of the Auto FE Updater is a huge, huge improvement
>>> in developer ease of use. There's a wizard to get you going with
>>> the basic operations in less than a minute. Need to make a
>>> change to a setting? Just a few mouse clicks as all settings are
>>> updated by forms rather than having to use Notepad as in the
>>> past.
>>
>>I just installed it this morning. The real win is picking the icon
>>and having your wizard figure out the index number (which is not
>>obvious from the interface that Windows provides when creating a
>>shortcut).
>
> That particular feature has been there for a few years and was on
> a form called from the main INI file list form. Maybe it wasn't
> obvious to open the form that allows you to select the icon file
> and choose the icon.

I haven't actually configured a site with it in at least 5 years.

>>The one thing I didn't understand was why in some cases, the
>>wizard would run, and in others it would tell me I hadn't provided
>>an ini file in the commandline.
>
> Were you running it from different virtual systems to the same
> folder on a common server? It uses the workstation id to decide
> if you are a "master" and thus allowed to view the settings. If
> you aren't it gives that message.

Well, I first did it from a workstation, then went to another
workstation to set it up (involved removing A2007 and installing
A2003, then setting up the shortcuts), and I thought I'd just do the
same thing I did on the first workstation. But it didn't work.

I do recall now that the INI file for the updater did list the name
of the machine I first set things up on, so is that what controls
it?

I'm wondering what the purpose of this feature is? Seems awfully
easy to circumvent, no?

> I"m seriously thinking of changing that to use the userid instead
> or a combination of workstation and userid.

That wouldn't have made a difference, as I needed to set it up for
each user, so was logged on as the primary user for each
workstation.

> If a combination then I'd add
> the second and subsequent combinations automatically with a
> message telling you so. So that this would make more sense what
> is all happening.
>
> I probably should've changed this a long time ago but just never
> got around to it.

Why not just add it as an option in the error dialog?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>>>I just installed it this morning. The real win is picking the icon
>>>and having your wizard figure out the index number (which is not
>>>obvious from the interface that Windows provides when creating a
>>>shortcut).
>>
>> That particular feature has been there for a few years and was on
>> a form called from the main INI file list form. Maybe it wasn't
>> obvious to open the form that allows you to select the icon file
>> and choose the icon.
>
>I haven't actually configured a site with it in at least 5 years.

Ah, that would explain it then.

>>>The one thing I didn't understand was why in some cases, the
>>>wizard would run, and in others it would tell me I hadn't provided
>>>an ini file in the commandline.
>>
>> Were you running it from different virtual systems to the same
>> folder on a common server? It uses the workstation id to decide
>> if you are a "master" and thus allowed to view the settings. If
>> you aren't it gives that message.
>
>Well, I first did it from a workstation, then went to another
>workstation to set it up (involved removing A2007 and installing
>A2003, then setting up the shortcuts), and I thought I'd just do the
>same thing I did on the first workstation. But it didn't work.
>
>I do recall now that the INI file for the updater did list the name
>of the machine I first set things up on, so is that what controls
>it?
>
>I'm wondering what the purpose of this feature is? Seems awfully
>easy to circumvent, no?

Yes, it is. The whole idea though is that the developer(s) who are
working with the Auto FE Updater gets the user friendly screens. But
users, who aren't in that list of up to five workstations, only ever
get an error message.

>> I"m seriously thinking of changing that to use the userid instead
>> or a combination of workstation and userid.
>
>That wouldn't have made a difference, as I needed to set it up for
>each user, so was logged on as the primary user for each
>workstation.
>
>> If a combination then I'd add
>> the second and subsequent combinations automatically with a
>> message telling you so. So that this would make more sense what
>> is all happening.
>>
>> I probably should've changed this a long time ago but just never
>> got around to it.
>
>Why not just add it as an option in the error dialog?

Trouble is I don't want the users to be able to see the GUI and muck
with things. I would far sooner err on the side of being too
restrictive, which is what it is now.

One option I'm going to put in real soon now is to give the developer
another form so they can indicate which user accounts do have full
access. That almost made it into this release but I wanted to get
this last version onto the website.

In thinking about this recently I have no idea why I chose to use work
station as my main criteria way, way back in 2004 or so. In these
days of Terminal Server and Virtual PC sessions it's more of a PITA.
Userid really should be my only criteria here.

Another much fancier option might be to interrogate Active Directory
and give the initial user, the developer, a list of accounts which
they could then click on to add. But that's not really necessary.
Someone can easily type in six or ten characters of a user name to add
to the configuration file.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>"David Jennings" <davidajennings(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Send $500.00 per agreement. RSVP. daj
>
>Ummm, what agreement?

Ahh, never mind. I see you've posted several other requests for $.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP