From: David W. Fenton on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in

> Another much fancier option might be to interrogate Active
> Directory and give the initial user, the developer, a list of
> accounts which they could then click on to add. But that's not
> really necessary. Someone can easily type in six or ten characters
> of a user name to add to the configuration file.

Neither workstation nor user logon would have helped me one iota in
the situation I was in. In the future, I'll just write a batch file
to do it, but because I'll be running it from the user's logons on
their workstations, it will have to be without any security
limitations.

Why not have an option in your config file so I could put in
workstation "*" and it would allow all of them to run it? When I'm
done configuring all the workstations, I could remove it.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>>>I just installed it this morning. The real win is picking the icon
>>>and having your wizard figure out the index number (which is not
>>>obvious from the interface that Windows provides when creating a
>>>shortcut).
>>
>> That particular feature has been there for a few years and was on
>> a form called from the main INI file list form. Maybe it wasn't
>> obvious to open the form that allows you to select the icon file
>> and choose the icon.
>
>I haven't actually configured a site with it in at least 5 years.

BTW every seven days, unless you change the value, that you run the
Auto FE Updater it will now ask you if you want to check for an
update. The users do not get this prompt. Just the users running
from the workstations as mentioned in my previous posting.

(And every 30 days it will now ask you to voluntarily purchase a
license for the program. Again the users won't get that message.)

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>> Another much fancier option might be to interrogate Active
>> Directory and give the initial user, the developer, a list of
>> accounts which they could then click on to add. But that's not
>> really necessary. Someone can easily type in six or ten characters
>> of a user name to add to the configuration file.
>
>Neither workstation nor user logon would have helped me one iota in
>the situation I was in. In the future, I'll just write a batch file
>to do it, but because I'll be running it from the user's logons on
>their workstations, it will have to be without any security
>limitations.
>
>Why not have an option in your config file so I could put in
>workstation "*" and it would allow all of them to run it? When I'm
>done configuring all the workstations, I could remove it.

Umm, I don't quite understand your suggestion and how it relates to
the utility.

The idea of adding the first workstation, or in the future the userid,
as being the only workstation that sees the GUI. You get it going on
your work station, test it an another and then the users start
executing it. They will continue to execute the utility for the
next x years never seeing the GUI. All they know is they click on a
shortcut on the desktop, Quick Launch or Start >> Programs menu.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>> Another much fancier option might be to interrogate Active
>> Directory and give the initial user, the developer, a list of
>> accounts which they could then click on to add. But that's not
>> really necessary. Someone can easily type in six or ten characters
>> of a user name to add to the configuration file.
>
>Neither workstation nor user logon would have helped me one iota in
>the situation I was in. In the future, I'll just write a batch file
>to do it, but because I'll be running it from the user's logons on
>their workstations, it will have to be without any security
>limitations.
>
>Why not have an option in your config file so I could put in
>workstation "*" and it would allow all of them to run it? When I'm
>done configuring all the workstations, I could remove it.

Or to change your wording slightly allow a * until you've finished
testing your test workstations?

If so I'd change that slightly to have the utility add up to five work
station and user id pairs, or maybe just three or five user ids
automatically until the slots are full up. Then any new workstation
ids/user ids won't be added.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: David W. Fenton on

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Another much fancier option might be to interrogate Active
>>> Directory and give the initial user, the developer, a list of
>>> accounts which they could then click on to add. But that's
>>> not really necessary. Someone can easily type in six or ten
>>> characters of a user name to add to the configuration file.
>>
>>Neither workstation nor user logon would have helped me one iota
>>in the situation I was in. In the future, I'll just write a batch
>>file to do it, but because I'll be running it from the user's
>>logons on their workstations, it will have to be without any
>>security limitations.
>>
>>Why not have an option in your config file so I could put in
>>workstation "*" and it would allow all of them to run it? When I'm
>>done configuring all the workstations, I could remove it.
>
> Umm, I don't quite understand your suggestion and how it relates
> to the utility.
>
> The idea of adding the first workstation, or in the future the
> userid, as being the only workstation that sees the GUI. You get
> it going on your work station, test it an another and then the
> users start executing it. They will continue to execute the
> utility for the next x years never seeing the GUI. All they know
> is they click on a shortcut on the desktop, Quick Launch or Start
> >> Programs menu.

But I'm setting up the workstations for them, so I'm going from
machine to machine running the utility to get the shortcut on the
desktop. If I could get the wizard to run, I could select the INI
file and run it to create the desktop shortcut.

Now, obviously, in large organizations, this wouldn't be helpful.
But I was at the client last Friday setting it up and there were 4
workstations to set up. The first was the one I created the INI
files on, but the other three required me to pass the full
commandline. I guess, obviously, I could have created a shortcut or
batch file on the server to run the thing without launching the
wizard, but I was expecting EASE OF USE, which meant that I expected
it to behave the same way on the other machines as it did on the one
where I ran it the first time.

Of course, the whole thing was an exercise in frustration. The first
workstation I set up lost its ability to see their server by name
(but not by IP) after I uninstalled A2007 and installed A2003 (they
aren't ready to move to the new UI yet). The 2nd workstation went
fine, but on the third, after doing the same thing, the user's
Outlook shortcut stopped working (I just launched Outlook explicitly
and it reconfigured Office 2007 and worked again). So, everything I
did worked differently on each different workstation (even though
the first two were identical Vista boxes).

I have reached the point in my computer work that I no longer scoff
at voodoo troubleshooting. Sometimes I almost believe I should carry
a live chicken with me and slaughter it and sprinkle its blood in
appropriate places to insure that the computers work correctly.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/