From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>Now, obviously, in large organizations, this wouldn't be helpful.
>But I was at the client last Friday setting it up and there were 4
>workstations to set up. The first was the one I created the INI
>files on, but the other three required me to pass the full
>commandline. I guess, obviously, I could have created a shortcut or
>batch file on the server to run the thing without launching the
>wizard, but I was expecting EASE OF USE, which meant that I expected
>it to behave the same way on the other machines as it did on the one
>where I ran it the first time.

So here's what I'm going to do.

1) Always default to creating a server shortcut. (Right now I only
create a server shortcut if they click on the Create User App Email.)

Thus if you click on the server shortcut from another workstation away
it goes which is the way it currently works.

2) If you click on the StartMDB.exe, which is what you did from the
other workstations, I will then look for the server shortcut(s). If
only one I will ask if you want to execute it. If multiple then I
display a list box asking which one you'd like to execute.

Thanks very much for explaining in detail what you were expecting and
your situation!

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>So here's what I'm going to do.
>
>1) Always default to creating a server shortcut. (Right now I only
>create a server shortcut if they click on the Create User App Email.)

Ignore this posting. I was fixated on server shortcuts.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>But I'm setting up the workstations for them, so I'm going from
>machine to machine running the utility to get the shortcut on the
>desktop. If I could get the wizard to run, I could select the INI
>file and run it to create the desktop shortcut.

I'll change the logic so that:

If the user is not a "master" workstation, and you/they click on the
StartMDB.exe it brings up the same screen showing all the
configuration files that the "master" user gets. However the only
option visible is to choose which configuration file to execute.
None of the other command buttons will be visible or selectable. And
no menu options will be visible either.

IOW al the user can run is "Run Configuration File."

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>>But I'm setting up the workstations for them, so I'm going from
>>machine to machine running the utility to get the shortcut on the
>>desktop. If I could get the wizard to run, I could select the INI
>>file and run it to create the desktop shortcut.
>
>I'll change the logic so that:
>
>If the user is not a "master" workstation, and you/they click on the
>StartMDB.exe it brings up the same screen showing all the
>configuration files that the "master" user gets. However the only
>option visible is to choose which configuration file to execute.
>None of the other command buttons will be visible or selectable. And
>no menu options will be visible either.
>
>IOW al the user can run is "Run Configuration File."

Make that "IOW all the user .."

BTW thanks for pointing this out. I've never liked that unfriendly
message telling the user "Null command line." But I've never been
able to figure out a good means of replacing it. And now I have with
your help.

Well, with one exception. The exception being the case where an
AutoFEUpdater.INI file exists, this user/ workstation isn't in it and
there are no configuration files. Oh well.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: David W. Fenton on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in

> So here's what I'm going to do.
>
> 1) Always default to creating a server shortcut. (Right now I
> only create a server shortcut if they click on the Create User App
> Email.)
>
> Thus if you click on the server shortcut from another workstation
> away it goes which is the way it currently works.
>
> 2) If you click on the StartMDB.exe, which is what you did from
> the other workstations, I will then look for the server
> shortcut(s). If only one I will ask if you want to execute it.
> If multiple then I display a list box asking which one you'd like
> to execute.

Sounds foolproof! Even a fool like me would get *that* one right!

> Thanks very much for explaining in detail what you were expecting
> and your situation!

This is why I hate creating user documentation (pace a
Stackoverflow.com thread on that topic that you've contributed to),
because I don't know what needs to be explained.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/