From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
This release of the Auto FE Updater is a huge, huge improvement in
developer ease of use. There's a wizard to get you going with the
basic operations in less than a minute. Need to make a change to a
setting? Just a few mouse clicks as all settings are updated by forms
rather than having to use Notepad as in the past.

But it's even better. Now, with three mouse clicks, a formatted email
containing a hyperlink for the users initial install of your app will
be created. Your users can be running your app with two or three
mouse clicks. (This depends on the number of hyperlink warning
messages. (Sorry, nothing I can do about the email client security
warnings.)

Have you looked at the Auto FE Updater in the past and decided it was
rather ugly to use? The thought of editing configuration files using
Notepad made you shudder with distaste? Taking an hour or three to
read somewhat confusing web pages was a task to be done next month or
next year? Visit http://www.autofeupdater.com and take a look.

(More screenshots will likely go up there in a day or so.)

I�d like to thank Tom Wickerath, Crystal Long, Clif McIrvin and Tom
van Stiphout for all the suggestions and criticisms as I bounced ideas
their way. I�d also like to thank John Mishefske and Michel for
their suggestions of using a listbox as an alternative to an ugly
multi-line tab control. See Interface Hall of Shame - Tabbed Dialogs
down a short ways for what it could�ve looked like. <smile>
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: David W. Fenton on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in

> This release of the Auto FE Updater is a huge, huge improvement in
> developer ease of use. There's a wizard to get you going with the
> basic operations in less than a minute. Need to make a change to a
> setting? Just a few mouse clicks as all settings are updated by
> forms rather than having to use Notepad as in the past.

I just installed it this morning. The real win is picking the icon
and having your wizard figure out the index number (which is not
obvious from the interface that Windows provides when creating a
shortcut).

The one thing I didn't understand was why in some cases, the wizard
would run, and in others it would tell me I hadn't provided an ini
file in the commandline.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>> This release of the Auto FE Updater is a huge, huge improvement in
>> developer ease of use. There's a wizard to get you going with the
>> basic operations in less than a minute. Need to make a change to a
>> setting? Just a few mouse clicks as all settings are updated by
>> forms rather than having to use Notepad as in the past.
>
>I just installed it this morning. The real win is picking the icon
>and having your wizard figure out the index number (which is not
>obvious from the interface that Windows provides when creating a
>shortcut).

That particular feature has been there for a few years and was on a
form called from the main INI file list form. Maybe it wasn't obvious
to open the form that allows you to select the icon file and choose
the icon.

>The one thing I didn't understand was why in some cases, the wizard
>would run, and in others it would tell me I hadn't provided an ini
>file in the commandline.

Were you running it from different virtual systems to the same folder
on a common server? It uses the workstation id to decide if you are a
"master" and thus allowed to view the settings. If you aren't it
gives that message.

I"m seriously thinking of changing that to use the userid instead or a
combination of workstation and userid. If a combination then I'd add
the second and subsequent combinations automatically with a message
telling you so. So that this would make more sense what is all
happening.

I probably should've changed this a long time ago but just never got
around to it.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Salad on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> This release of the Auto FE Updater is a huge, huge improvement in
> developer ease of use. There's a wizard to get you going with the
> basic operations in less than a minute. Need to make a change to a
> setting? Just a few mouse clicks as all settings are updated by forms
> rather than having to use Notepad as in the past.
>
> But it's even better. Now, with three mouse clicks, a formatted email
> containing a hyperlink for the users initial install of your app will
> be created. Your users can be running your app with two or three
> mouse clicks. (This depends on the number of hyperlink warning
> messages. (Sorry, nothing I can do about the email client security
> warnings.)
>
> Have you looked at the Auto FE Updater in the past and decided it was
> rather ugly to use? The thought of editing configuration files using
> Notepad made you shudder with distaste? Taking an hour or three to
> read somewhat confusing web pages was a task to be done next month or
> next year? Visit http://www.autofeupdater.com and take a look.
>
> (More screenshots will likely go up there in a day or so.)
>
> I�d like to thank Tom Wickerath, Crystal Long, Clif McIrvin and Tom
> van Stiphout for all the suggestions and criticisms as I bounced ideas
> their way. I�d also like to thank John Mishefske and Michel for
> their suggestions of using a listbox as an alternative to an ugly
> multi-line tab control. See Interface Hall of Shame - Tabbed Dialogs
> down a short ways for what it could�ve looked like. <smile>

Like David, I dl'd it. Excellent job.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:

>Like David, I dl'd it. Excellent job.

Thanks for your kind words. That's what I was hoping for.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP