From: David W. Fenton on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Another much fancier option might be to interrogate Active
>>> Directory and give the initial user, the developer, a list of
>>> accounts which they could then click on to add. But that's
>>> not really necessary. Someone can easily type in six or ten
>>> characters of a user name to add to the configuration file.
>>
>>Neither workstation nor user logon would have helped me one iota
>>in the situation I was in. In the future, I'll just write a batch
>>file to do it, but because I'll be running it from the user's
>>logons on their workstations, it will have to be without any
>>security limitations.
>>
>>Why not have an option in your config file so I could put in
>>workstation "*" and it would allow all of them to run it? When I'm
>>done configuring all the workstations, I could remove it.
>
> Or to change your wording slightly allow a * until you've finished
> testing your test workstations?
>
> If so I'd change that slightly to have the utility add up to five
> work station and user id pairs, or maybe just three or five user
> ids automatically until the slots are full up. Then any new
> workstation ids/user ids won't be added.

It just seems easier to me to have a wildcard, rather than an
arbitrary limit. What happens if I set up 6 workstations?

In future, regardless of what you do with the wizard, I'll likely
just create a batch file to do the job. Or, if I understand how your
wizard INI file works, I'd clear the first workstation, and then the
wizard would run again, no?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on

>>> That particular feature has been there for a few years and was
>>> on a form called from the main INI file list form. Maybe it
>>> wasn't obvious to open the form that allows you to select the
>>> icon file and choose the icon.
>>
>>I haven't actually configured a site with it in at least 5 years.
>
> BTW every seven days, unless you change the value, that you run
> the Auto FE Updater it will now ask you if you want to check for
> an update. The users do not get this prompt. Just the users
> running from the workstations as mentioned in my previous posting.

Not good. I'll have to do something about that so that the
workstation I used for the setup (which is sometimes an active
workstation) doesn't prompt.

> (And every 30 days it will now ask you to voluntarily purchase a
> license for the program. Again the users won't get that message.)

I have never encountered the type of setup you've implemented with
recording the workstations in the INI file with any other utility or
application, so I don't quite understand what it's trying to
accomplish.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Clif McIrvin on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message

<snip>
> But I'm setting up the workstations for them, so I'm going from
> machine to machine running the utility to get the shortcut on the
> desktop. If I could get the wizard to run, I could select the INI
> file and run it to create the desktop shortcut.
>
> Now, obviously, in large organizations, this wouldn't be helpful.
> But I was at the client last Friday setting it up and there were 4
> workstations to set up. The first was the one I created the INI
> files on, but the other three required me to pass the full
> commandline. I guess, obviously, I could have created a shortcut or
> batch file on the server to run the thing without launching the
> wizard, but I was expecting EASE OF USE, which meant that I expected
> it to behave the same way on the other machines as it did on the one
> where I ran it the first time.

Hmm...

I've been working with Tony a bit in the area of documentation for the
Auto FE Updater. Your comments caught my attention as indicating that
we may have shortcomings in communication.

Did you notice the bit about creating an email containing a hyperlink to
send the users for the initial launch from user workstations (as opposed
to admin workstations)? I'm curious if you considered that and rejected
that option because of the simplicity of simply walking around the
office to four workstions and doing the setup yourself; or actually
never even noticed that option.

In the short while that I've been working with this utility the usage
that you describe has never even occurred to me --- after all, one main
point of the utility is removing the necessity of visiting individual
workstations for doing the setup.

To do what you describe, the method of choice would in fact be to use
the wizard to create a shortcut on the server, which you would then
invoke one time only from the user workstations.

EASE OF USE ... Ah, the wonderful world of anticipating expectations
:-).

Would you care to suggest what could be done differently in the writeup
to have helped you avoid this bit of frustration?

Clif McIrvin

From: Clif McIrvin on
> "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in

>>>Neither workstation nor user logon would have helped me one iota
>>>in the situation I was in. In the future, I'll just write a batch
>>>file to do it, but because I'll be running it from the user's
>>>logons on their workstations, it will have to be without any
>>>security limitations.
>>>
>>>Why not have an option in your config file so I could put in
>>>workstation "*" and it would allow all of them to run it? When I'm
>>>done configuring all the workstations, I could remove it.
>>
>> Or to change your wording slightly allow a * until you've finished
>> testing your test workstations?
>>
>> If so I'd change that slightly to have the utility add up to five
>> work station and user id pairs, or maybe just three or five user
>> ids automatically until the slots are full up. Then any new
>> workstation ids/user ids won't be added.
>
> It just seems easier to me to have a wildcard, rather than an
> arbitrary limit. What happens if I set up 6 workstations?
>
> In future, regardless of what you do with the wizard, I'll likely
> just create a batch file to do the job. Or, if I understand how your
> wizard INI file works, I'd clear the first workstation, and then the
> wizard would run again, no?

My suggestion would be rather to use the wizard to create an easily
accessible shortcut on the server which you launch once from each
workstation ... much simpler than re-running the wizard.

If you wish to re-launch the wizard from each workstation you could
simply delete the wizard INI file -- much simpler than editing it to
remove the first workstation.

Clif McIrvin

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Clif McIrvin" <clare.moe(a)nevergmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Did you notice the bit about creating an email containing a hyperlink to
>send the users for the initial launch from user workstations (as opposed
>to admin workstations)? I'm curious if you considered that and rejected
>that option because of the simplicity of simply walking around the
>office to four workstions and doing the setup yourself; or actually
>never even noticed that option.
>
>In the short while that I've been working with this utility the usage
>that you describe has never even occurred to me --- after all, one main
>point of the utility is removing the necessity of visiting individual
>workstations for doing the setup.
>
>To do what you describe, the method of choice would in fact be to use
>the wizard to create a shortcut on the server, which you would then
>invoke one time only from the user workstations.
>
>EASE OF USE ... Ah, the wonderful world of anticipating expectations
>:-).
>
>Would you care to suggest what could be done differently in the writeup
>to have helped you avoid this bit of frustration?

Actually David has a good point. I was thinking of the scenario of a
full time developer who works on site and is hooked up to the
corporate email system along with all the users. David's coming from
the viewpoint of someone who brings in the FE via a USB memory stick
and installs it.

So he is correct a few paragraphs in when he states he could've
created a shortcut on the server, again using the utility, and then
clicked on that shortcut on each station. So I need to make David's
scenario, which is the second option on the Initial User Install page
http://autofeupdater.com/pages/userinstall.htm, more clear as to when
and why you'd want to use that option.

Also in thinking about it I need to add to the Quick Start page to
explain what to do once you have the "master" work station working.
Just a few lines telling them to now open the user install page.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP