From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>> The idea of adding the first workstation, or in the future the
>> userid, as being the only workstation that sees the GUI. You get
>> it going on your work station, test it an another and then the
>> users start executing it. They will continue to execute the
>> utility for the next x years never seeing the GUI. All they know
>> is they click on a shortcut on the desktop, Quick Launch or Start
>
>But I'm setting up the workstations for them, so I'm going from
>machine to machine running the utility to get the shortcut on the
>desktop. If I could get the wizard to run, I could select the INI
>file and run it to create the desktop shortcut.
>
>Now, obviously, in large organizations, this wouldn't be helpful.
>But I was at the client last Friday setting it up and there were 4
>workstations to set up. The first was the one I created the INI
>files on, but the other three required me to pass the full
>commandline. I guess, obviously, I could have created a shortcut or
>batch file on the server to run the thing without launching the
>wizard, but I was expecting EASE OF USE, which meant that I expected
>it to behave the same way on the other machines as it did on the one
>where I ran it the first time.

Ok, I see where you're coming from. Yes, you could've had the
utility create a shortcut on the server which you could've then
clicked on from each PC.

I'm going to have to think about how to redesign the web pages so it's
clearer on how this works.

>I have reached the point in my computer work that I no longer scoff
>at voodoo troubleshooting. Sometimes I almost believe I should carry
>a live chicken with me and slaughter it and sprinkle its blood in
>appropriate places to insure that the computers work correctly.

Hehehe. Or the story I read about 20 years ago about the person who
was told to do the same by his mother for his new car he just
purchased after moving to the USA. He thought about it a while and
decided to drive over an egg.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>> If so I'd change that slightly to have the utility add up to five
>> work station and user id pairs, or maybe just three or five user
>> ids automatically until the slots are full up. Then any new
>> workstation ids/user ids won't be added.
>
>It just seems easier to me to have a wildcard, rather than an
>arbitrary limit. What happens if I set up 6 workstations?
>
>In future, regardless of what you do with the wizard, I'll likely
>just create a batch file to do the job. Or, if I understand how your
>wizard INI file works, I'd clear the first workstation, and then the
>wizard would run again, no?

Yes, the clear the workstation would do it. But it would've been much
easier to have the utility create a server shortcut and then click on
the shortcut at each workstation.

So I'll think about how to change the website docs to explain this
better.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:

>> BTW every seven days, unless you change the value, that you run
>> the Auto FE Updater it will now ask you if you want to check for
>> an update. The users do not get this prompt. Just the users
>> running from the workstations as mentioned in my previous posting.
>
>Not good. I'll have to do something about that so that the
>workstation I used for the setup (which is sometimes an active
>workstation) doesn't prompt.

If you remove all workstations from the AutoFEUpdater configuration
file then none of the users will ever get any nag screens.

>> (And every 30 days it will now ask you to voluntarily purchase a
>> license for the program. Again the users won't get that message.)
>
>I have never encountered the type of setup you've implemented with
>recording the workstations in the INI file with any other utility or
>application, so I don't quite understand what it's trying to
>accomplish.

The idea is that there is a developer full time on site who sees and
works with the GUI. Just their workstation would be an entry in
the AutoFEUpdater.INI file.

In your situation just that one workstation was the "master" for a few
minutes.

So I have to update my website and the utility to better reflect your
situation which also happens a lot.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Salad on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>>>If so I'd change that slightly to have the utility add up to five
>>>work station and user id pairs, or maybe just three or five user
>>>ids automatically until the slots are full up. Then any new
>>>workstation ids/user ids won't be added.
>>
>>It just seems easier to me to have a wildcard, rather than an
>>arbitrary limit. What happens if I set up 6 workstations?
>>
>>In future, regardless of what you do with the wizard, I'll likely
>>just create a batch file to do the job. Or, if I understand how your
>>wizard INI file works, I'd clear the first workstation, and then the
>>wizard would run again, no?
>

> Yes, the clear the workstation would do it. But it would've been much
> easier to have the utility create a server shortcut and then click on
> the shortcut at each workstation.
>
> So I'll think about how to change the website docs to explain this
> better.
>
> Tony

Didn't you have a .LNK file that was created that one could send to a
person's email?
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:

>Didn't you have a .LNK file that was created that one could send to a
>person's email?

Yes, assuming David had a laptop available while he's at the client
site and in which he uses Outlook or other MAPI supported email
client..

But he is correct in that his situation where he doesn't necessarily
have email available needs to be explained better. So I've updated
the pages a bit but I'm not at all sure that it's clear enough.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP