From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Peter Foldes" <okf22(a)hotmail.com>

| David

| Most likely scenario

| Might want to ask your client to disable all the Add Ons in IE and Firefox and give
| it a try and see if the shutdown is improved and back to normal. If it is then one
| of the Add Ons is the culprit. Then you need to add them back one by one until the
| guilty party is found. Tedious work but do-able

Dave posts at 0200 hrs and you reply as 0130 hrs.

Hmmmmm.... somebody has the wrong time set on their PC :-)

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
~BD~ <BoaterDave.is.(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Tell me why you selected to post in *this* group if you are certain that
>the computer in question is clean - sorry, *please* tell me!

Because though the malware may be gone, the effects of the malware may remain.
For instance, some malware will disassociate certain files with the programs
that launch to run them. The malware can be removed but the file
disassociations will remain unless reset manually or by using a script to
reset the file associations.

From: Oreally on

--
Oreally

From: ~BD~ on
David Kaye wrote:
> ~BD~<BoaterDave.is.(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Tell me why you selected to post in *this* group if you are certain that
>> the computer in question is clean - sorry, *please* tell me!

Thanks for your reply, David

> Because though the malware may be gone, the effects of the malware may remain.

I note your use - twice - of the word "may". <wink> :)

You didn't respond to my query "Are you saying that you do not believe
what is said in that MS article?". *I* believe it best to do a clean
install whenever a computer has been attacked - at least one can then be
*sure*!

> For instance, some malware will disassociate certain files with the programs
> that launch to run them. The malware can be removed but the file
> disassociations will remain unless reset manually or by using a script to
> reset the file associations.

I didn't know that.

What effect would this have on the overall performance of a computer?

Just for fun, I have reviewed many hundreds of HJT analyses by PC help
forum staff .... and not once noticed any reference to this phenomenon.
I'm intrigued!

What sort of help/advice are you hoping to get from the members of this
particular newsgroup? I don't recall seeing anything about such matters
here either.

Time will tell!

--
Dave

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"~BD~" <BoaterDave.is.(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> What sort of help/advice are you hoping to get from the members of
> this particular newsgroup? I don't recall seeing anything about such
> matters here either.

You don't recall ever seeing the "exefix" reg file being mentioned? How
about the DNS settings being modified and needing to be corrected? Have
you been sleeping in class? :o)