From: David Kaye on
I have an interesting dilemma maybe someone can figure out. I removed malware
from a customer's XP Professional SP3 computer and I can start it and shut it
down quickly, that is, within about 20-25 seconds for startup and about 10
seconds for shutdown.

I had him scan again with MB and it turned up negative. (Sometimes you have
to scan 2 or 3 times to make sure everything is gone.)

The customer called to tell me that it still works that way UNLESS he uses a
browser such as IE or Firefox. Then it takes anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes to
shut down. Now, when I was there I deleted the pagefile and let it rebuild.
I removed all the temp files from user\Local Service, Windows\Temp, Prefetch,
etc. I've defragged the thing.

Now, I know that Firefox misbehaves when being shut down. It tends to linger
for about 10 to 20 seconds on most machines after you exit it. But he tells
me the exact same thing is happening with IE and no Firefox whatsoever. Oh,
and I had reset the cache for IE to 20 MB and 20 days retention, the standard
I always apply.

I'm stumped. He wants me to come back in the next few days and I don't have a
clue as to a fix. The computer is not running any unusual programs, though it
does have a dreaded HP printer, which always puts in a boatload of apps.

Anyone?

From: Peter Foldes on
David

Most likely scenario

Might want to ask your client to disable all the Add Ons in IE and Firefox and give
it a try and see if the shutdown is improved and back to normal. If it is then one
of the Add Ons is the culprit. Then you need to add them back one by one until the
guilty party is found. Tedious work but do-able

--
Peter

From: Peter Foldes on
BTW David you clock or Time Zone is off by almost 1 hr

From: David Kaye on
"Peter Foldes" <bounce(a)bounce> wrote:

>Might want to ask your client to disable all the Add Ons in IE and Firefox and
> give
>it a try and see if the shutdown is improved and back to normal.

DUH! Sometimes my brain isn't engaged. Of course. It's probably a stupid
update to an add-on. Acrobat downloaded an update or two I'll check it.
Thanks.

From: David Kaye on
"Peter Foldes" <bounce(a)bounce> wrote:

>BTW David you clock or Time Zone is off by almost 1 hr

That's the server at eternal-september I guess. My system clock adjusted just
fine the other night.