From: Dragontamer on

rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu wrote:
> Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
> >
> > No. Any label has a scope where it is defined and outside this
> > scope it is undefined. This is true for ANY label and has nothing
> > to do with local or not local labels. In assembly programming
> > a "local label" is label which scope is exactly the space between
> > two normal labels. This implicit defined scope for "local labels"
> > reduces the need to explicitly define the scope for a label.
>
> My, how limited your definition of "local label in assembly language"
> is. Like Rene, you seem to feel that the definition of a local symbol
> in *your* assembler is the only valid one. "There is only *one* true
> local symbol, the one *I've* defined", eh?
>
> How do you explain, then, the concept of local labels in most
> languages? They are *not* defined to be local between two symbols, but
> local when a given scope in the program. Indeed, a Google search for
> "Local Symbols" and "Local Labels" turns up *many* different variations
> on this theme.
>
> But don't take my word for it. Pick up a programming language design
> text book and see what it has to say about local symbols.

Just as a future note: can we get to a more lively argument?

Arguing about the *name* of a concept is pathetic.

What we should truely be arguing about (if arguing at all); is the best
implementation of
the concept.

Aka, why say; it is best for "local labels" to be like this. And not
"Local labels are defined
like so".

--Dragontamer

From: Herbert Kleebauer on
rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu wrote:
> Herbert Kleebauer wrote:

> > No. Any label has a scope where it is defined and outside this
> > scope it is undefined. This is true for ANY label and has nothing
> > to do with local or not local labels. In assembly programming
> > a "local label" is label which scope is exactly the space between
> > two normal labels. This implicit defined scope for "local labels"
> > reduces the need to explicitly define the scope for a label.
>
> My, how limited your definition of "local label in assembly language"
> is. Like Rene, you seem to feel that the definition of a local symbol
> in *your* assembler is the only valid one. "There is only *one* true
> local symbol, the one *I've* defined", eh?

You can also define any scope for time you like: for the
whole planet, for a continent, for a county, for town, for
house or even for a room. And any of this definition gives
you a time which is local within this scope. But that doesn't
change anything on the fact, that with the term "local time"
the time in one of the 24 time zones (to which the location
belongs) is meant.

You can define any scope for variables or labels you like:
the whole program, a module, a procedure, a macro or
even 10 lines of code. And any of this definitions gives
you a label which is local within this scope. But that doesn't
change anything on the fact, that the term "local label"
in assembly programming means a label which scope is limited
by the enclosing normal labels.

> How do you explain, then, the concept of local labels in most
> languages? They are *not* defined to be local between two symbols, but
> local when a given scope in the program. Indeed, a Google search for
> "Local Symbols" and "Local Labels" turns up *many* different variations
> on this theme.

Maybe you should read before writing. I said 'In assembly programming
a "local label" is ..' and not 'In most languages a "local label" is ...'.

When I say "in assembly programming an OR instruction is the bitwise
OR of two operands", then you answer: 'My, how limited your definition
of "OR in assembly language" is. How do you explain, then, the concept
of "OR" in most languages? They are *not* defined to be only a
bitwise OR but can also be a logical OR'. Your problem seems to be,
that you never completely read a posting and then try to argue with
arguments completely out of the current context.
From: rhyde on

o//annabee wrote:

> Why dont you hurry up and post the 6 links to the 6 non-trivial asmmbly
> application you have written.

I've told you a half-dozen times now, download the HLA examples file.
How many more times do you need to be told.

> You seem to have time enough for posting
> links to your books.

And what link do I give? Why the same link I'm giving you:
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu.
After about seven million hits (since 2000), I get the impression that
people can find their way around Webster. What's your problem?

> Why not show us how a truely amazing asm experts
> write assembly?

Been doing it for years. Again, download the HLA examples and you too
can learn how an amazing asm expert writes code.

> Since your a "master" of assembly, having written the
> books "Arts and Assembly" and "Greatnesses of code" it should be of
> interest that people could actually find any of the non-trivial apps you
> have created.

Most people are, apparently, a bit brighter than you are. When I tell
them to download the HLA examples from the HLA downloads page, they've
found it and have been quite happy.

> To see how it should really be done. I looked at you page,
> and came up clean. Cant you just post the links?

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu.
Whiner. Do a little work yourself. Again, if you were serious about
this, I'd help you out a little. But you're simply playing games, so
I'll continue to play along.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: rhyde on

Dragontamer wrote:
> rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu wrote:
>
> Arguing about the *name* of a concept is pathetic.

Now you're catching on.

> What we should truely be arguing about (if arguing at all); is the best
> implementation of
> the concept.

These two guys don't seem to understand that there could be more than
one implementaiton of the concept. That's the problem.

> Aka, why say; it is best for "local labels" to be like this. And not
> "Local labels are defined
> like so".

Good question. That's what I've been asking.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: Betov on
Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> ?crivait

> You can define any scope for variables or labels you like:
> the whole program, a module, a procedure, a macro or
> even 10 lines of code. And any of this definitions gives
> you a label which is local within this scope. But that doesn't
> change anything on the fact, that the term "local label"
> in assembly programming means a label which scope is limited
> by the enclosing normal labels.

Seconded. There are, at least, two RosAsm writting that way.
Though, i do not recommand writing that way, because True
Local Symbols are better, and easier.

Another point is that the concept of Pseudo Local Labels'
Scope, has been invented from pure mythology, that is the
"Names Conflict" mythology.

In fact, not only Names Conflicts are surprisingly uncommon,
but "better", if one comes out, it is a very usefull thing,
as long as it shows that the naming itself was incorrect.

I mean: If i give the same name to two different things,
while trying to write fully self descriptive names, if they
conflict, either i did a bad naming job, or i am writting
twice the same stuff.

:))

Betv.

< http://rosasm.org >