From: o//annabee on
P? Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:37:45 +0100, skrev randyhyde(a)earthlink.net
<randyhyde(a)earthlink.net>:

> o//annabee wrote:

>> So, backwards compabilty is not a design parameter of HLA ? Users may
>> expect it to break.
>
> But as I said, if I can make the language signficantly better, I don't
> have a problem breaking existing code.

That means USERs code. Breaking Users code.

> After all, that is the purpose
> of a prototype -- to get the rough edges out before commiting to a
> version in which legacy support is important.

Seem irresponsable to me.

> And you better believe that when HLA v2.0 comes out, a lot of code will
> break.

:))) I have a real hard time beliving that.......... :)))

> Will this matter? Hardly at all.

Because you only have one users. And this is yourself.

> People who feel it's too much work to
> translate their existing source code can continue to compile under HLA
> v1.x.

That is only you. So no problem.

From: o//annabee on
P? Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:15:14 +0100, skrev Betov <betov(a)free.fr>:

> I know of a better one: "Unexpected error encounted".
>
> The subtil grace of "SEH".
>
> :))

:) Funny.

In XP a few of the SEH are catched and the app manages to recover.
It was quite nice the day it happend for a SEH I had not known about.
I could repeat the process leading to the SEH.

But it didnt work the same in NT. And it didn work for all of them.
Someday I will get it to work.

>> Sorry if I sound grumpy. I havent gotten any coffie yet.
>
> You did not slept long enough: Go back to bed.

:)) - Yes Master Betov.

From: o//annabee on
P? Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:06:05 +0100, skrev Frank Kotler
<fbkotler(a)comcast.net>:

>> Sorry if I sound grumpy. I havent gotten any coffie yet.
>
> Understood. We gotta get "retoxified for the day", according to our
> preferences :)

Yep!

> I was gonna clean this up a bit - maybe add a couple more examples...
> but since you're impatient, here 'tis, as-is.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~fbkotler/winreboot.zip

Thanks a lot Frank. This is all that I needed. Now, I will have the
examples I need, and can add to this, by somehow having a direction when I
look up the nasm docs.

> This one *is* "-f bin". "nasm -f bin -o reboot.exe" (still called
> "shutdown" from the way Numit_or had it, but now it reboots. Most useful
> Windows program I know of! :)

;))) The really horrible thing is, that it worked!!

But many thanks.

If you feel up to it. Can you explain this macro?

; - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

%macro Call 1-*
%define %%_j %1
%rep %0-1
%rotate -1
%ifstr %1
PushStr %1
%elifidni %1, eax
push eax
%elifidni %1, ebx
push ebx
%elifidni %1, ecx
push ecx
%elifidni %1, edx
push edx
%elifidni %1, esi
push esi
%elifidni %1, edi
push edi
%elifidni %1, ebp
push ebp
%elifidni %1, esp
push esp
%elifid %1
%ifnum %1
%if %1<040h
push byte %1
%else
pushd %1
%endif
%else
pushd %1
%endif
%elifnum %1
%if %1<254
push byte %1
%else
pushd %1
%endif
%else
pushd %1
%endif
%endrep
%ifdef PEFILE
apicall %%_j
%else
call %%_j
%endifs
%endmacro

; - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From: sevagK on

o//annabee wrote:

> If you feel up to it. Can you explain this macro?
>
>[snip] ; - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Scans the macro arguments: pushes all the arguments after the 1st and
then calls the 1st.
NASM has a somewhat horrid macro syntax, though it is quiet capable.

-sevag.k
www.geocities.com/kahlinor

From: Betov on
o//annabee <fack(a)szmyggenpv.com> ?crivait news:op.s6g95polce7g4q(a)bonus:

> ah.... I got it. each "if" increment the counter, and each "end_if"
> decrements it. So when it have unfolded the inner IF / END_IF the
> counter must be '0' (its initial value) or some unpairing has
> occured. Okey now I understand the purpose if the ".If" / ".End_If"
> It surrounds the multilevel ifs in a boxed security that will prevent
> errors developing.

Exactly. It could be done several other ways. For example
we could put some "Source_End" Macro, that would, at once
test if all Constructs Variables are zeroed and send messages
like "Unpaired If" // unpaired "Do" // and all, but, in that
case, it could not point to the proper location, in the user
source.

> It look nice _now_, when I understand it. Even if I think it could be
> put to better use elsewhere. Multilevels if as RARE

Not, it is not. The problem is the other way round: We always
tend to organize our Source, _while_ we are writting. So,
along the devs, it is quite common to have more and more
nesting inflation. This was why, in the actual default
set, i have limited it to 4 levels, as long as, above four,
we are evidently not writing something well organized.

Quite frankely, in the new version, enabling 10 levels, is
done that way, because it is the natural limit of Local
Label (could easiy be extended by using several...), but
10 is already a "poisonned gift".

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >