From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:52:29 -0600, arturo wrote:

> when my tv and other appliances blow out i trash
> them. the dead calculators sit in my desk drawer.
>
> maybe it's time to let them go- not for me but for
> them or rather what they may become after i put
> them in the recycling bin. they will live again.

"Old calculators never die,
they go to the bit-bucket in the sky."

(better than "...their display just fades away")

-[ ]-
From: John H Meyers on
"Mr. President, Mr. Speaker and distinguished members of the Congress:

I stand on this rostrum with a sense of deep humility and great pride -
humility in the wake of those great architects of our history
who have stood here before me, pride in the reflection
that this home of legislative debate
represents human liberty in the purest form yet devised.

Here are centered the hopes and aspirations and faith
of the entire human race.

[...]

I address you with neither rancor nor bitterness
in the fading twilight of life,
with but one purpose in mind: to serve my country.

[...]

I know war as few other men now living know it,
and nothing to me is more revolting.

I have long advocated its complete abolition,
as its very destructiveness on both friend and foe
has rendered it useless as a means of settling international disputes.

Indeed, on the second day of September, 1945,
just following the surrender of the Japanese nation
on the battleship Missouri, I formally cautioned as follows:

Men since the beginning of time have sought peace.
Various methods through the ages have been attempted
to devise an international process to prevent or settle disputes
between nations. From the very start workable methods were found
in so far as individual citizens were concerned,
but the mechanics of an instrumentality of larger international scope
have never been successful.

Military alliances, balances of power, leagues of nations,
all in turn failed, leaving the only path
to be by way of the crucible of war.

The utter destructiveness of war now blocks out this alternative.
We have had our last chance.
If we will not devise some greater and more equitable system,
our Armageddon will be at our door.

The problem basically is theological
and involves a spiritual recrudescence,
an improvement of human character
that will synchronize with our almost matchless advances
in science, art, literature,
and all material and cultural developments
of the past two thousand years.
It must be of the spirit if we are to save the flesh.

[...]

I have just left your fighting sons in Korea.
They have met all tests there,
and I can report to you without reservation
that they are splendid in every way.

It was my constant effort to preserve them
and end this savage conflict honorably
and with the least loss of time and a minimum sacrifice of life.
Its growing bloodshed has caused me the deepest anguish and anxiety.
Those gallant men will remain often in my thoughts and in my prayers always.

I am closing my fifty-two years of military service.
When I joined the army, even before the turn of the century,
it was the fulfillment of all my boyish hopes and dreams.

The world has turned over many times
since I took the oath on the plain at West Point,
and the hopes and dreams have long since vanished,
but I still remember the refrain
of one of the most popular barracks ballads of that day
which proclaimed most proudly
that old soldiers never die; they just fade away.

And like the old soldier of that ballad,
I now close my military career and just fade away,
an old soldier who tried to do his duty
as God gave him the light to see that duty.

Good-bye."

- Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964)
Address to U.S. Congress, April 19, 1951

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/trm048.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/macarthur/filmmore/reference/primary/macspeech05.html
From: Giancarlo on
On 8 Feb, 21:31, "Veli-Pekka Nousiainen" <DROP_...(a)dlc.fi> wrote:
> Veli-Pekka has:
> HP-75C
> HP-71B * 2
> HP 50G
> HP 49g+
> HP 49G * 2 (one is overclocked to 5MHz)
> HP 48GII
> HP-48GX
> HP-48SX
> HP-28S * 2
> HP-41CX * 3 (all somewhat broken)
> HP-42S
> HP 33S
> HP-32S
> HP-18C
> HP 17BII+
> HP-16C
>
> Perhaps a few others, no Xpander :-(
>
> I could sell any of those to raise money because I'm between jobs
> Later I will regret (like selling my HP-15C)
> but that's another story
> AND
> I'm definately not a "standard" nerd...I just like gadgets

Here's my roster:

15 C * 2 (one always with me in the work-bag)
25
28 S
33 E
35
38 C
38 E
41 CX * 2
42 S (always with me in the work-bag)
45
48 GX
49 G+
50 G (always with me in the work-bag)
67
71 B
80
95 LX
And maybe I wished I was a nerd, but did not succeed :)
Best regards.
Giancarlo

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
I C ... a piece of history-cake

From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 05:14:47 -0600:

> I C ... a piece of history-cake

Yes, and I thought most remarkable
for MacArthur's insight into the need
for the spiritual essence in human life
to end the useless waste and failure and scourge of warfare.

Though the full meaning of "spiritual"
is beyond what can be explained,
residing only deep within personal awareness
of the innermost pure self.

"The utter destructiveness of war now blocks out this alternative.
We have had our last chance.
If we will not devise some greater and more equitable system,
our Armageddon will be at our door."

"The problem basically involves...
a spiritual recrudescence,
an improvement of human character
that will synchronize with our almost matchless advances
in science, art, literature,
and all material and cultural developments
of the past two thousand years.
It must be of the spirit if we are to save the flesh."

Heard anything comparable from a present-day top military General?

With best wishes from http://www.mum.edu
and http://www.maharishischooliowa.org