From: Sue Morton on
That poor guy, just trying to get some help, the only advise is to get a
brand new OS and brand new hardware instead...

Do you think the 'Reaper' word would get censored if mentioned right now?
LOL If no one is going to tell him how to fix Sonar, at least it's a
cheaper suggestion than new OS and new hardware :-)
--
Sue Morton

From: kitekrazy on
On 1/30/2010 1:40 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> Good gawd this is funny. A guy in the Cake web forum states that he
> upgraded from a perfectly functioning SPE 7.x to SPE 8.5x, but is seeing
> massive CPU spikes. The usual defenders of the Holy Cake instantly come
> out and tell him that "XP64, is not supported" even though he's running
> XP32, and that he needs to buy a "proper audio card" at which point he will
> be in Sonar bliss. Hehe, they just can't admit that Sonar is a very very
> touchy app, and that it takes very little to disturb it, audio engine wise.
>
> http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1932107
>
> I'm sure the guy will find the happy place for his system, after spending
> hours disabling things, and adjusting buffers and what not. It wouldn't
> require so much work to find that perfect balance point if the audio engine
> in Sonar were more efficient.

I've had a run in or two with that CJay guy.

"Your soundcard is not Recommended by Cakewalk."

Odd answer.

From: kitekrazy on
On 1/31/2010 1:22 AM, Rick Paul wrote:
> It's kind of like around here when someone posts something about SONAR, good
> or bad, and the thread turns into a Cakewalk-bashing, Reaper-loving rant.
> ;-) Equally helpful.

Despite all of that 8.5 got 10/10 rating in CM.

> Definitely a bunch of ignorant responses.

You see a lot of that in other forums ever since the new generation of
Intel processors. They'll spend over $300 on a processor and then equip
it with a Fast Track USB, along with a power hungry Geforce 260 and one
big drive.

Of all of the forums I've been to, the Cakewalk forum has the worst fan
boys. I also think it's not appropriate to go to a company forum and
bash their product and then praise a competitor.
From: kitekrazy on
On 1/31/2010 8:58 AM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:hk453d$473$1(a)news.eternal-september.org the killer robot kitekrazy
> <kitekrazy(a)kitekrazy.org> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> Of all of the forums I've been to, the Cakewalk forum has the worst fan
>> boys.
>
> I saw a thread there a while back where the original poster was told that
> their CPU was not up to snuff for Sonar. The guy had a brand new i7.

One of the developers at Image Line posted specs on % of price upgrade
vs. % of increased performance. Some i7s that cost 50% more with only
20% more performance isn't worth it.

The ignorance of an efficient DAW is increasing. People think you need
to overclock. How did we ever manage to get anything done back in the
single core days,under 3ghz and 1 gig of RAM?

I bet if they could clean up that GUI, it would shave off resources. If
you look at all of the other DAW apps, they have less buttons.

I never understood their thinking when it comes to "features". Having a
arpeggiator on each track is silly. The synths they package have that
feature.

There's many times I wanted to go to that forum and tell them to clean
up the GUI. The last time I seen a post like that, a guy got really
flamed. They even found a way to ruin that excellent piano roll. It took
me awhile how to get rid of that annoying magnifying glass.
From: Martin Holmes on
The way I read it, the whole conversation was derailed by that CJ guy,
who doesn't seem to know very much. I clicked on his name, and it seems
he's made over 24,000 posts since he joined in 2006:

<http://forum.cakewalk.com/showprofile.aspx?memid=33776>

That seems frankly insane. It's an average of over 20 posts a day, if my
math is right. He seems to have been posting every few minutes today. I
guess if he posted less and spent a bit of time learning a bit more,
he'd be more helpful. But you can't fault his commitment. It's amazing
he has time to make any music.

Cheers,
Martin

Rick Paul wrote:
> "Rick Paul" <rickpaul(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Without getting into the fray over there, because someone really needs to
>
> Well, I decided to get in the fray over there after all, posting a slightly
> reworded version of the technical part of my response. We'll see if it
> helps. I'm cautiously optimistic.
>
> Rick
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6