From: Mathal on
On Aug 4, 12:08 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/4/10 9:23 AM, Curious George wrote:
>
> > By the way, I was watching a show on "Discovery". I think I had heard
> > the presenter say that there are whole galaxies "speeding faster than
> > light" away from us?  If that is true, how can one reconcile that with
> > the principles of relativity?
>
>    I'm sure there is, but it's bot part of our observable universe or
>    causally connected.

If the presenter said whole galaxies are speeding away from us at
faster than light speed there are two possibilities. Either they have
always been speeding away from us at faster than light-in which case
we have never been aware of them ((from a relativistic point of view)
from a quantum mechanical point of view entangled particles ignore the
speed of light so if there were a mechanism to allow an entangled
three-some -one in the middle in the light-cone of both galaxies to
share entangled information between faster than light separated
galaxies we in some far fetched future may become 'aware' of the
galaxy. But, I think not. that's just my opinion though.
The other alternative is that we see them now but this is an image
of something that happened in the past.
Present speculation is that the universe is accelerating. The reason
for this speculation is that with certain supernova there is a
specific pattern of intensity in the blast. It has a distinct shape to
the curve of the blast and scientists are relatively confident about
the relative size of the star that collapses to create the supernova.
From measuring the light intensity of this region of the supernova
data an alternative distance has been determined for the galaxies that
the supernova occured in. Everything is in accord between the Hubble
constant and this model of measuring distances from near to 5 to 8
billion light years away(different sources give different estimates of
this distance/time). From this point on the new measurement indicates
by the drop in light intensity that the galaxy is further than the
Hubble constant says that it is. This has led to the speculation that
the universe started accelerating 5 to 8 billion years ago. This is
probably what the Discover show was talking about but I don't have
cable so I don't get Discover and I didn't see the show.
The principle of relativity (SR) would not accept galaxies
travelling faster than light. It is interresting. It may be the Hubble
constant will just get retooled into a not so constant constant. If
the data stands as it is presented a candle measurement of distance
would certainly get prescedence over the Hubble constant which up
until now has appeared to be a reasonable hypothesis.

Mathal
From: Mathal on
On Aug 4, 12:13 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/4/10 9:05 AM, Mathal wrote:
>
> > The observer does not pass through the event horizon. There is no
> > event horizon. If there were the observer would never get there and he
> > would never be aware that he never got there in his proper time. If
> > you understood the math you would see that that is necessarily true.
>
>    You are confusing black holes with singularities, perhaps?
>    There is lots of evidence for back holes. What's inside the
>    event horizon is another matter.
>
>    One thing for sure, Mathal, is that you need to understand
>    the relativistic measurements are observer dependent!
>
>    Physics FAQ: Are There Any Good Books on Relativity Theory?
>      http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Administrivia/rel_booklist.html

Relativity measurements are not frame independant. They scale.

Relativity- GR and SR allows us to translate one frame's perspective
into another frames perspective. We don't 'see' what they see but we
can calculate what they see and measure and experience in their frame
from their point of view. Until you get that, you don't 'get'
relativity-either form.
Your take, and many others is that there is no 'real' realationship
between frames. You think in the same universe an event is
instantaneously happening in one frame and not happening in another
frame just because it isn't seen at the same time. This is not what
Relativity is saying-not even close. An event is observed by different
frames as happening at different times from each frames perspective
but the event is happening at one moment which can be defined as a
space/time point. When each frame translates where and when this
space/time point is , it is the same point in both calculations. I
don't expect you to accept that but that is the point you keep
missing.
When the observer is the event -passing through the event horizon
nothing changes. The outside observer can still use relativity to
calculate what is happening. What I have been describing is what
relativity says is happening. The event horizon is like the speed of
light -the observer's frame just keeps slowing down no matter how hard
he tries to achieve his goal. In both cases the observer doesn't feel
time slowing down because in his frame it isn't.
Mathal
From: BURT on
On Aug 4, 9:11 pm, Mathal <mathmusi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 10:50 am, Curious George <cgeorg...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > >    In essence that is what I am saying. Zero in your equation is
> > > unachievable. Black holes are unachievable. What does exist is a close
> > > approximation to zero but it never gets there.

> > >    It is the "hardware" of the universe that is affected by gravity
> > > and relative velocity.

> > > 'Frame  of reference' is the area in which a measurement is made.
> > > 'Medium' is just a word that describes the ability of an object to
> > > allow light to pass through it. Even a brick wall will allow low
> > > frequency radio waves to pass through it.
>
> > > Mathal- Hide quoted text -

> > I am really curious about the answers to the quaetions I have asked.
> > But you are just repeating/stating things and the "Science" you are
> > using is beginning to look like faith-based system to me.
>
> > C.G.
>
> No. I do not rely on what 'science' tells me is true. Not all things
> science 'believes' are true turn out to be true. I don't repeat what
> I've heard. I think about, analyse and decide if it makes sense to me.
> I don't ever give links to sites that put forward this or that
> perspective. I give my perspective. That is all any truthful person
> can do. I am not saying that I know the TRUTH, all I can offer are
> conclusions I have come to and the reason's I have come to these
> conclusions. It is up to you to come to your own conclusions about
> science and everything else in life. I don't really care if anyone
> else agrees or disagrees with me. What interests me most are
> interesting points of view. Ones that have (from my perspective) some
> hope of being real and not just zany flights of fancy.
>    It is interesting communicating with you.
>            Mathal- Hide quoted text -

Science is too young to be close to the truth. For man this is true in
general about everything. I ask what will science know a million years
from now? Science is about 400 years old. Modern medicine, religion
and art along with the age of our worlds civilization are all very
young. So now is just the beginning.

Mitch Raemsch
From: Y.Porat on
On Aug 4, 9:13 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/4/10 9:05 AM, Mathal wrote:
>
> > The observer does not pass through the event horizon. There is no
> > event horizon. If there were the observer would never get there and he
> > would never be aware that he never got there in his proper time. If
> > you understood the math you would see that that is necessarily true.
>
>    You are confusing black holes with singularities, perhaps?
>    There is lots of evidence for back holes. What's inside the
>    event horizon is another matter.
>
>    One thing for sure, Mathal, is that you need to understand
>    the relativistic measurements are observer dependent!
>
>    Physics FAQ: Are There Any Good Books on Relativity Theory?
>      http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Administrivia/rel_booklist.html

if galaxies are running away from us
faster than light
then
what is the detection tool (instead of light--)
to detect it ???!!!

Y.P