From: Paul Ingram on
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:57:40 +0900, Wayne wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:29:53 +0000, Paul Ingram wrote:
>
>> I am getting soooo tired of these programs telling me that they can't read
>> the DVD disc or that there is no MRL. Obviously to me when the lib
>> packages were installed they are installing to the wrong place or these
>> programs are not seeing them. I really don't want to do a fresh install
>> here, but I really need help.
>>
>> The questions don't seem to generate a lot of response.
>
> Where did you get the packages from? Are they PLF made for the version
> of your distro or did you get them from somewhere else?
>
> Wayne

Wayne,
I downloaded what I could from urpmi and what I couldnet get there I
usually go to the RPM Repository and look for a package that is made for
Mandrake.

From: Wayne on
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:22:56 +0000, Paul Ingram wrote:

>> Where did you get the packages from? Are they PLF made for the version
>> of your distro or did you get them from somewhere else?
>>
>> Wayne
>
> Wayne,
> I downloaded what I could from urpmi and what I couldnet get there I
> usually go to the RPM Repository and look for a package that is made for
> Mandrake.

Everything you need is in PLF free and non-free.

If your sources are set up for both repositories then you could have
issued:

urpmi libdvdcontrol9 libdvdcss2 libdvdnav4 libdvdread3

from a terminal.

That's all I do, plus DVDrip and a few other things (DVDAuthor, etc)
and have no problem playing my DVD's with Xine, Totem or MPlayer.

Wayne
--
Registered Linux user #375994
You can try sending mail to the address in the headers but it

From: Peter on
Paul Ingram wrote:
> Here is the problem:
> xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/]
> xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]
> xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator
> demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi:

How about you post the output of this command?
$ rpm -qa | grep dvd
This might help us understand what you have installed on your system.

HTH

Peter

From: Danny@Kendal on
"Paul Ingram" <pingramnet(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:02:31 -0500, Proteus wrote:
>
>> Have you installed libdvdcss rpm?
>> http://www.linuxsoft.cz/en/sw_detail.php?id_item=915
>> A must install to play commercial (movie) DVDs. Download rpm for your
>> distro
>> (rpm for redhat might work), then do
>> su
>> rpm -i whateverpathto/fileyoudownloaded.rpm
>> Then all you do is insert a movie, run xine, then click the 'DVD' button
>> on
>> xine. I believe MRL stands for media resource location, sort of like ULR
>> for websites, MRL is for source of media.
>>
>> Xine plays movie DVDs great.
>
> Yes, I have along with
> libdvdread
> libdvdnav
> libdvdplay
>
> I just don't get what is going on. In an earlier post I mentioned that at
> one point I was actually playing the Braveheart movie in Kaffeine. Then it
> just stopped working in Kaf, Xine, everything.

From Kaffeine, look at the Xine engine parameters and somewhere there should
be the path to the DVD device. On my home system I find it works better if I
set it to /mnt/cdrom rather than /dev/dvd

Maybe there was an error while reading the DVD and some component hasn't
closed properly which is locking access to the DVD.

From: Proteus on
Paul Ingram wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:02:31 -0500, Proteus wrote:
>
>> Have you installed libdvdcss rpm?
>> http://www.linuxsoft.cz/en/sw_detail.php?id_item=915
>> A must install to play commercial (movie) DVDs. Download rpm for your
>> distro (rpm for redhat might work), then do
>> su
>> rpm -i whateverpathto/fileyoudownloaded.rpm
>> Then all you do is insert a movie, run xine, then click the 'DVD' button
>> on
>> xine. I believe MRL stands for media resource location, sort of like ULR
>> for websites, MRL is for source of media.
>>
>> Xine plays movie DVDs great.
>
> Yes, I have along with
> libdvdread
> libdvdnav
> libdvdplay
>
> I just don't get what is going on. In an earlier post I mentioned that at
> one point I was actually playing the Braveheart movie in Kaffeine. Then it
> just stopped working in Kaf, Xine, everything.
>
> I need to troubleshoot the problem. Should I uninstall the packages and
> then reinstall them?
>
> Is there anywhere I can go for a resource to tell me all the packages
> require to play DVD's?
>
> TIA

What version of Mandrake are you using, what platform? It should not be hard
to play DVDs. You simply install Mandrake or Mandriva, then as root do an
rpm install of the libdvdcss package. That is it. No install of libdvdread,
libdvdnav needed.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Burning software