From: Proteus on
Paul Ingram wrote:

> Proteus wrote:
>

>> What version of Mandrake are you using, what platform? It should not be
>> hard to play DVDs. You simply install Mandrake or Mandriva, then as root
>> do an rpm install of the libdvdcss package. That is it. No install of
>> libdvdread, libdvdnav needed.
>>

> I am using Mandriva 10.2LE

I can not speak to that version per se, as I have Mandriva LE2005 installed,
and before that Mandrake 9.2 But all I needed to do was install the
operating system and just about every package (be sure to install all the
great multimedia packages), then download and install libdvdcss rpm. You
could go into the software manager and install apps you might not have
installed during the original install.
From: Paul Ingram on
Proteus wrote:
> Paul Ingram wrote:
>

>>Proteus wrote:

> I can not speak to that version per se, as I have Mandriva LE2005 installed,
> and before that Mandrake 9.2 But all I needed to do was install the
> operating system and just about every package (be sure to install all the
> great multimedia packages), then download and install libdvdcss rpm. You
> could go into the software manager and install apps you might not have
> installed during the original install.

Proteus,
There is just something screwed up somewhere and I may have to reinstall
the OS because I put the exact some version of Mandrake on my other
computer along with the same packages and all is well. I don't know what
the problem is on this computer though. As strange as it may sound the
movie played the first time great after installing the packages and then
all the problems listed arose. I know, everyone is probably thinking
that I have deleted something or other or changed something, but I
didn't do anything I can possibly think of. I simply went from playing
it in Kaffeine to trying to play in Xine and then the error came up. I
went back to Kaff and the same error appeared never to work right
afterwards.

:(
From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 18 August 2005 12:30, Paul Ingram stood up and spoke the
following words to the masses...:

> Proteus,
> There is just something screwed up somewhere and I may have to
> reinstall the OS because I put the exact some version of Mandrake on
> my other computer along with the same packages and all is well.

Reinstalling an operating system over something like this is totally
unnecessary. ;-)

> I don't know what the problem is on this computer though. As strange
> as it may sound the movie played the first time great after installing
> the packages and then all the problems listed arose. I know, everyone
> is probably thinking that I have deleted something or other or changed
> something, but I didn't do anything I can possibly think of. I simply
> went from playing it in Kaffeine to trying to play in Xine and then
> the error came up. I went back to Kaff and the same error appeared
> never to work right afterwards.

The way I see it, there are two possible causes. Either you have a
runaway process blocking the device - e.g. due to a buggy driver or
library - or something changed the permissions of the device.

I've seen a similar thing happen on my laptop, which still has Mandrake
8.2 on it - yes, I know that's old. ;-) That problem doesn't have
anything to do with watching movies, but with sound.

If I want to listen to music on my laptop with XMMS, I have to launch
/Noatun/ first and let it play a part of a song, even for a few
seconds. If I don't do this, XMMS will crash on start-up. As it's my
laptop and I plan to upgrade it one day soon, I haven't bothered to
look into this anomaly.

I suspect that what you're experiencing is very similar. Check if your
user account is added to the /video/ group. It may make a
difference...

Hope this was helpful... ;-)

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(Registered Gnu/Linux user #223157)
From: CBFalconer on
Paul Ingram wrote:
> Proteus wrote:
>
>> I can not speak to that version per se, as I have Mandriva LE2005
>> installed, and before that Mandrake 9.2 But all I needed to do
>> was install the operating system and just about every package (be
>> sure to install all the great multimedia packages), then download
>> and install libdvdcss rpm. You could go into the software manager
>> and install apps you might not have installed during the original
>> install.
>
> There is just something screwed up somewhere and I may have to
> reinstall the OS because I put the exact some version of Mandrake
> on my other computer along with the same packages and all is well.
> I don't know what the problem is on this computer though. As
> strange as it may sound the movie played the first time great
> after installing the packages and then all the problems listed
> arose. I know, everyone is probably thinking that I have deleted
> something or other or changed something, but I didn't do anything
> I can possibly think of. I simply went from playing it in Kaffeine
> to trying to play in Xine and then the error came up. I went back
> to Kaff and the same error appeared never to work right afterwards.

Do you have ECC memory? If not, there are possibilities of subtle
foul ups, possibly during initial installation, from such
non-repeatable things as cosmic rays.

From: Proteus on
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:30:11 +0000, Paul Ingram wrote:
,,,
> anything I can possibly think of. I simply went from playing it in
> Kaffeine to trying to play in Xine and then the error came up. I went back
> to Kaff and the same error appeared never to work right afterwards.

Well I am starting to believe you (smile), as today I had a very very
weird thing happen related to kaffeine that messed up my system. I used
kaffeine to play a downloaded mpeg file, then I went back to my online
editing via a webpage (D2L HTML online editor for online courses I teach),
and after doing some edits I clicked the SAVE button and shazam (ok not
ver technical) some weird Kate box dialog comes up asking me if I want to
open the document with Kate, but when I click NO I am f*cked and can not
save my HTML doc I have been editing online. Very weird, and only thing
that changed was choosing Kaffeine as default player when I chose to
download the mpeg video file. So I removed Kate software package, which
said it would need to remove about a dozen other packages because of
dependency issues, so yeah I said Ok. Now I have no Konqueror and will
need to reinstall it. But hey, my online HTML editor in the D2L (virtual
campus software infrastructure) is now working again. Yes Kaffeine just
must be related to this odd behavior.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Burning software