From: Proteus on
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:53:04 +0000, Aragorn wrote:
,,,
> If I want to listen to music on my laptop with XMMS, I have to launch
> /Noatun/ first and let it play a part of a song, even for a few seconds.
> If I don't do this, XMMS will crash on start-up. As it's my laptop and I
> plan to upgrade it one day soon, I haven't bothered to look into this
> anomaly.
,,,

Interesting, Aragorn, as I recently reinstalled UT2004 game and I can only
get it to play audio if I first play some music with XMMS or whatever for
just a few seconds. I had UT2004 installed before, and did not have to do
this, but now this install of the game requires I play audio with some
other app; I wish I could solve that mystery and find a way around it.

From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 18 August 2005 23:22, Proteus stood up and spoke the
following words to the masses...:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:53:04 +0000, Aragorn wrote:
>
>> If I want to listen to music on my laptop with XMMS, I have to launch
>> /Noatun/ first and let it play a part of a song, even for a few
>> seconds.
>>
>> If I don't do this, XMMS will crash on start-up. As it's my laptop
>> and I plan to upgrade it one day soon, I haven't bothered to look
>> into this anomaly.
>
> Interesting, Aragorn, as I recently reinstalled UT2004 game and I can
> only get it to play audio if I first play some music with XMMS or
> whatever for just a few seconds. I had UT2004 installed before, and
> did not have to do this, but now this install of the game requires I
> play audio with some other app; I wish I could solve that mystery and
> find a way around it.

Hmm... Looks like Mandriva are doing some strange things in regards to
device permissions...

My laptop still has MDK 8.2 on it. You would expect that they'd have
fixed that bug by now...

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(Registered Gnu/Linux user #223157)
From: Wayne on
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:45:33 +0000, Paul Ingram wrote:

>> Can anyone explain this behavior???
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Is there anyway to stop Kaff from being the default app to opening a DVD?

urpme kaffeine?

:-)

Wayne
--
Registered Linux user #375994
You can try sending mail to the address in the headers but it

From: imotgm on
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:24:00 +0000, Paul Ingram wrote:

> Can anyone explain this behavior???

Try this. Insert the DVD, and let Kaffeine start to play it. Close
Kaffeine. Hit Cltl + Esc, to bring up the Process Table window. Is
Kaffeine still listed? It is in mine. Select Kaffeine, and click the kill
button, and then click the second kill button. When Kaffeine is removed,
start xine or totem and select Play DVD. Works for me.

Kaffeine, for me, always stutters, and skips. Not much, but enough to be
annoying. Xine or totem play smoothly, as does mplayer.

I'd also like to know which file to edit to change the default DVD player
to something other than Kaffeine.

--
imotgm

From: Paul Ingram on
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:55:14 +0900, Wayne wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:45:33 +0000, Paul Ingram wrote:
>
>>> Can anyone explain this behavior???
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Is there anyway to stop Kaff from being the default app to opening a DVD?
>
> urpme kaffeine?
>
> :-)
>
> Wayne

I uninstalled Kaffeine and installed Totem. Seems to work much better.
Can't say why I am having the problem with Xine, but I can live with just
Totem just fine.

Thanks for all the input guys!

;)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last