From: Steve Terry on
"Andy Burns" <usenet.aug2009(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote in message
> Chris Blunt wrote:
>> I've been connecting my laptop to the internet via mobile phones for
>> at least the last 10 years now, but I've noticed the use of the word
>> "tethering" being used recently to describe doing something like this.
>> I may be missing something here, but is this just a fashionable new
>> use of the word to describe what I've already been doing
>
> Yep, usually over USB, Bluetooth or WiFi (is infrared dead for
> phones/laptops now?)

Yep, but tethering also tends to imply using your phones low cost
internet access meant for Wap use, instead for broadband use on a PC.

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Andy Burns on
jasee wrote:
> "DevilsPGD"<Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> wrote in message
>> In message<jI2dne9LOvIQBNjRnZ2dnUVZ8oednZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk> Andy
>> Burns<usenet.aug2009(a)adslpipe.co.uk> was claimed to have wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, usually over USB, Bluetooth or WiFi (is infrared dead for
>>> phones/laptops now?)
>
> Is this really right, I thought it refered to being forced to use only
> particular applications with a phone

No, that's just a locked-down phone (possibly limited to a walled-garden
too)

From: Gyp on
Peter wrote:

> Apple and their antics aside, is there ANY evidence that any network
> has ever been *detecting* tethering?
>
> They try to stop it in their small print but that's not the
> question...

I think you'll see more of this over the next few months, mainly because
a very small percentage of users are swallowing up a large proportion of
the available bandwidth. i.e. a few people are using their PCs tethered
and are streaming/downloading/torrenting, whilst the majority are just
getting occasional e-mails etc.

To maintain a decent level of service to the vast majority, the networks
have the choice of increasing capacity (expensive) or reducing extreme
usage (not as expensive).

--
Gyp
From: Andy Burns on
Gyp wrote:

> I think you'll see more of this over the next few months, mainly because
> a very small percentage of users are swallowing up a large proportion of
> the available bandwidth.

The move (that some networks have already made, others are just mumbling
about) from "unlimited data" contracts to contracts with 500MB or 1GB of
inclusive data, where the user pays extra if they need more should sort
that out ...

From: tim.... on

"Gyp" <Gyp(a)gyponline.co.uk> wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>
>> Apple and their antics aside, is there ANY evidence that any network
>> has ever been *detecting* tethering?
>>
>> They try to stop it in their small print but that's not the
>> question...
>
> I think you'll see more of this over the next few months, mainly because a
> very small percentage of users are swallowing up a large proportion of the
> available bandwidth. i.e. a few people are using their PCs tethered and
> are streaming/downloading/torrenting, whilst the majority are just getting
> occasional e-mails etc.

I can't see why.

Most mobile broadband contracts come with a pathetic "fair usage" total
download limit which is completely useless for streaming/torrents. If you
use your mobile for this you go over your download limit in about 30 minutes
so there is no need to "catch" people using a PC to do this, IMHO.

tim