From: Rupert Moss-Eccardt on
Chris wrote:
> In uk.telecom.mobile Peter<occassionally-confused(a)nospam.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Chris<me(a)privacy.net> wrote
>>
>>> However, there already exist some workarounds for most devices that would
>>> basically allow the provider to charge extra for that service.
>>> For instance, if you were dump enough to buy an iphone, you will have to jail-
>>> break it and install Cydia in order to use tethering for free.
>>> Cydia is a good idea in any case, since you will get Flash as well (afaik).
>>> Don't worry about possibly voiding the warranty - I heard of many cases of
>>> people returning their jailbroken iphone but not of a single case where Apple
>>> would have denied the warranty.
>>
>> Apple and their antics aside, is there ANY evidence that any network
>> has ever been *detecting* tethering?
>>
>> They try to stop it in their small print but that's not the
>> question...
> This is not really possible since modern mobile phones are very hard to distinguish
> from real computer or netbooks, as they address the same services and protocols.
> E.g., you can find Skype and other messenger clients on smartphones as well, and
> people are accessing the full internet through their phones, not only wap pages.
> Therefore, some mobile operators try to prevent tethering by removing this capability
> from the mobile phone software or charging extra for that. However, there are several
> possibilities to enable tethering for free if the operator has done so.
> Regards,

Sometimes the access point is different for different SIMs. So I can use
the full broadband APN for Orange with my dongle, but not my HTC S740
which is annoying as my corporate VPN uses HTTPS which can't break out
of the orangeinternet but can from the consumerbroadband.

From: Rupert Moss-Eccardt on
Chris wrote:
> In alt.cellular.gsm Rupert Moss-Eccardt<r.moss-eccardt(a)computer.org> wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes the access point is different for different SIMs. So I can use
>> the full broadband APN for Orange with my dongle, but not my HTC S740
>> which is annoying as my corporate VPN uses HTTPS which can't break out
>> of the orangeinternet but can from the consumerbroadband.
>>
> Can't you just add a new APN to your device's configuration?
> If it's not possible with the genuine Orange firmware, you should maybe
> install an open image.
> xda-developers.com is a very helpful ressource for WiMo users.

I can add the APN, but traffic doesn't flow as the APN knows my phone
isn't authorised.
That won't change even if I change the firmware. I can, of course, put
the SIM from the dongle in the phone and that works but voice calls then
don't work :-(

From: franklinjesus on

'Chris Blunt[_2_ Wrote:
> ;214205']I've been connecting my laptop to the internet via mobile
> phones for
> at least the last 10 years now, but I've noticed the use of the word
> "tethering" being used recently to describe doing something like this.
> I may be missing something here, but is this just a fashionable new
> use of the word to describe what I've already been doing, or is there
> something more to it?
>
> To me, tethering is something you do to animals to stop them running
> away.
>
> Chris

sorry i have no idea

--
franklinjesus
From: Chris Blunt on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:21:04 +0100, Andy Burns
<usenet.aug2009(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:

>Gyp wrote:
>
>> I think you'll see more of this over the next few months, mainly because
>> a very small percentage of users are swallowing up a large proportion of
>> the available bandwidth.
>
>The move (that some networks have already made, others are just mumbling
>about) from "unlimited data" contracts to contracts with 500MB or 1GB of
>inclusive data, where the user pays extra if they need more should sort
>that out ...

You mean being honest about describing a product, and selling
customers just what they need so that those who need more pay a bit
more. You'd never get a job with a mobile carrier with ideas like that
;-)
From: Rupert Moss-Eccardt on
Chris wrote:
> In uk.telecom.mobile Rupert Moss-Eccardt<r.moss-eccardt(a)computer.org> wrote:
>> Chris wrote:

>>> Can't you just add a new APN to your device's configuration?
>>> If it's not possible with the genuine Orange firmware, you should maybe
>>> install an open image.
>>> xda-developers.com is a very helpful ressource for WiMo users.
>>
>> I can add the APN, but traffic doesn't flow as the APN knows my phone
>> isn't authorised.
>> That won't change even if I change the firmware. I can, of course, put
>> the SIM from the dongle in the phone and that works but voice calls then
>> don't work :-(
>>
> But then it's rather a limitation by your carrier.
> Can't you get a data option that would allow you to use the other APN?
> Another possibility is to build a VPN over https and tunnel all the traffic
> through the tunnel. This can easily be done with ssh.
> Since the traffic will be encrypted, the provider won't be able to see
> what is really going on - however, you will get full internet access.

But that is what is being blocked at the moment. If I use a old-style
VPN, the Nortel or Cisco ones for example, it works on the
orangeinternet APN. If I use SSTP it doesn't.
It's because the HTTPS proxy out of the walled garden is, I imagine, too
clever for me.

My current data bundle is a really good deal and is on a contract that
has no time to serve. I don't really want to supplant that and I think
also that Orange (under the FR 'simplification' mantra) won't allow
proper data bundles on voice contracts, but I could be wrong.