From: Theo Markettos on
In uk.telecom.mobile Chris <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Have you really tried to build up a ssh connection to port 443?
> That would require a ssh server running on that port of course.
> Here in Germany, O2 used to offer a mobile only wap flat without data limit
> that actually only allowed http and https connections.
> However, clever people abused this offer to tunnel loads of data through
> a https-vpn. This did eventually cause O2 to discontninue this offering.

Yes, I've done that. One thing that can go wrong is the HTTPS socket gets
dropped after a period. One Greek mobile network had a 15 second timeout,
which could be avoided with SSH keepalives. But if the network forcibly
drops the connection whether there's traffic or not, you have to reconnect.
Will VPN software seamlessly reconnect every minute or so (for the limit
could be that) if necessary?

It gets worse if the network just blackholes packets after the timeout,
rather than sending a proper disconnect (I have no evidence of that
happening deliberately, but it happens frequently on flaky GPRS connections)

THeo