From: Josef Matz on
My opinion: The electron inernally spins everywhere with c. The magnetic
field such
that the Lorentz force is zero.

From: The Ghost In The Machine on
In sci.physics, Nick
<macromitch(a)yahoo.com>
wrote
on 27 Mar 2005 01:00:25 -0800
<1111914025.767519.298700(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:
> What is the velocity of an electron in a shell?
> Can they move at different speeds and remain in the
> same shell?
>
> More imporatant is what sustains them in their perpetual motions?
> Mitch -- Light Falls --

The Bohr model, like the J. J. Thompson variant before it,
was discredited long ago. The general QM variant might
be able to give one a probability curve of momenta and
positions, but that's about it.

I'd frankly have to restudy QM at this point (specifically
the eigenvalues/vectors of the hydrogen atom) to see what
one might deduce regarding the speed (as opposed to the
velocity) of an electron therein.

You might glean some insight from the Orbitron:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/orbitron/index.html

but even that has some problems, as the depictions of the
orbitals aren't quite fuzzy enough, and it is far from
clear to me that an electron can't inhabit, say, *all six* of
the 2p orbitals at once. (The energy of the orbitals might
be distorted by e.g. an externally-applied magnetic or
electric field, leading to some interesting effects
as the electron tries to occupy a lower-energy state.
A mathematical description for the 2p orbitals can be had at
http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/orbitron/AOs/2p/equations.html .)

Then there's the issue of the rotation of the coordinate
axes.

In short: the atomic world is very weird. :-) Consistent, but weird.

#191, ewill3(a)earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
From: TomGee on
Nick and Mitch, I find it incredible that these posters, all the way
down to "Ghost", cannot remember that the negatively charged electrons
in an atom are attracted to the positively charged protons in the
atom's nucleus and that it is this force of attraction which binds
the electrons to the atom.

TomGee

From: Nick on
You say attraction causes motion?
But how?

Do you know that?

I didn't think so.

Mitch Raemsch -- Light Falls --

From: RP on

TomGee wrote:

> Nick and Mitch, I find it incredible that these posters, all the way
> down to "Ghost", cannot remember that the negatively charged electrons
> in an atom are attracted to the positively charged protons in the
> atom's nucleus and that it is this force of attraction which binds
> the electrons to the atom.
>
> TomGee

:)

Richard Perry