From: Gregory L. Hansen on
In article <StY1e.114735$Ze3.67073(a)attbi_s51>,
Sam Wormley <swormley1(a)mchsi.com> wrote:
>TomGee wrote:
>> Wormy, Bilge, PD, and all you other lemmings,
>>
>> you cannot understand that it is the _measurement_ of the force which
>> is fictional and not the feeling of being pulled out as a carousel
>> spins. You cannot make the force disappear just by invalidating your
>> own measurements. You should not think that websites are the ultimate
>> authority on anything, either, as subjective opinion runs rampart all
>> through it. You will learn that, Bilgy, when if ever you get to the
>> fifth grade.
>>
>> TomGee
>>

> Poor TomGee--Stuck in the 5th grade--use your playground as a
> reference. Your "centrifugal force" disappears.

What if he uses himself as the origin? It's only natural, if he's the one
making the observation. There's nothing special about the inertial frame
and nothing invalid about the accelerated frame.

Inertial forces are a common experience and theoretically sound. But the
objections that inevitably arise whenever the term "centrifugal" is
mentioned seems, to me, tiresome. Who is the person that needs the
refresher on physics, the one that doesn't acknowledge that the sensation
is really caused by a centripetal acceleration, or the one that thinks
mechanics can't be done in an accelerated frame?

--
"A nice adaptation of conditions will make almost any hypothesis agree
with the phenomena. This will please the imagination but does not advance
From: PD on

Gregory L. Hansen wrote:
> In article <1112035436.549412.84900(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> PD <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >TomGee wrote:
> >> Wormy, Bilge, PD, and all you other lemmings,
> >>
> >> you cannot understand that it is the _measurement_ of the force
which
> >> is fictional and not the feeling of being pulled out as a carousel
> >> spins.
> >
> >Nope. You feel the force pulling you *in*, which is a force you are
> >Let me ask you another question. As an elevator suddenly starts to
> >descend, you feel lighter. Are you in fact lighter? Why should
Earth's
> >Let me ask you another question. You are on a road making a circular
> >bend left in your car. What force acting on the car enables you to
>
> Reference frames, Paul. TomGee feels, TomGee is in, TomGee turns...

> Who's making the measurement? A hypothetical 2nd observer stationary
with
> respect to the Earth, or TomGee?
>
> In those three situations, TomGee is in an accelerated frame. If
TomGee
> is pushed to the left against a wall, there's an inertial force
pushing
> him to the left. A 2nd, inertial observer might say no, TomGee is
REALLY
> being pushed to the right, but so what? He's not in the car. He's
just
> asserting that there's something special about his reference frame
such
> that he can make valid observations but TomGee can't, and pretending
> there's no valid way to transform between them.
>
> Centrifugal force is called a force because it acts like a force. It
will
> cause something to accelerate relative to the stationary observer
who's
> already pinned against the wall. The stationary observer is, of
course,
> spinning madly about if viewed by the hypothetical 2nd observer who's

> at rest relative to the Earth, but so what? There's nothing special
about
> the Earth frame, nothing wrong with the accelerated frame. If TomGee
is
> pinned to the wall of a centrifuge, then TomGee is still at rest with

> respect to himself and he can define a reference frame from his
> perspective.
> --

Yeah, but I'm opposed to this kind of presentation, especially to the
uneducated. I really believe that forces should be taught as being
characterized by interactions between two objects, and those
interactions should be traceable to one of the four (or less)
fundamental interactions, and that forces are the cause and
accelerations are the effect.

Saying that centrifugal force is force because it acts like a force
comes at the penalty of losing sight of cause and effect (the
acceleration appears to create the force here) and permits the concept
of a force without an interaction. Someone who knows to attach the
little red flag to this notion while carrying it around can do so with
some finesse, but those who are still learning physics should not be
encouraged to equivocate.

PD

From: PD on

Sam Wormley wrote:

> An TomGee thinks this Newtonian perspective has something to do
with
> the quantum mechanical behavior of electrons... Is he right?

No, of course not, but one must correct the simpler and more basic
errors first.

PD

From: mmeron on
In article <d29lo4$v6q$1(a)rainier.uits.indiana.edu>, glhansen(a)steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) writes:
>In article <1112035436.549412.84900(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>PD <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>TomGee wrote:
>>> Wormy, Bilge, PD, and all you other lemmings,
>>>
>>> you cannot understand that it is the _measurement_ of the force which
>>> is fictional and not the feeling of being pulled out as a carousel
>>> spins.
>>
>>Nope. You feel the force pulling you *in*, which is a force you are
>>Let me ask you another question. As an elevator suddenly starts to
>>descend, you feel lighter. Are you in fact lighter? Why should Earth's
>>Let me ask you another question. You are on a road making a circular
>>bend left in your car. What force acting on the car enables you to
>
>Reference frames, Paul. TomGee feels, TomGee is in, TomGee turns...
>Who's making the measurement? A hypothetical 2nd observer stationary with
>respect to the Earth, or TomGee?
>
>In those three situations, TomGee is in an accelerated frame. If TomGee
>is pushed to the left against a wall, there's an inertial force pushing
>him to the left. A 2nd, inertial observer might say no, TomGee is REALLY
>being pushed to the right, but so what? He's not in the car. He's just
>asserting that there's something special about his reference frame such
>that he can make valid observations but TomGee can't, and pretending
>there's no valid way to transform between them.
>
>Centrifugal force is called a force because it acts like a force. It will
>cause something to accelerate relative to the stationary observer who's
>already pinned against the wall. The stationary observer is, of course,
>spinning madly about if viewed by the hypothetical 2nd observer who's
>at rest relative to the Earth, but so what? There's nothing special about
>the Earth frame, nothing wrong with the accelerated frame. If TomGee is
>pinned to the wall of a centrifuge, then TomGee is still at rest with
>respect to himself and he can define a reference frame from his
>perspective.
>--
Exactly!

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
meron(a)cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"
From: mmeron on
In article <1112038415.659261.203550(a)l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> writes:

>TomGee wrote:
>> Wormy, Bilge, PD, and all you other lemmings,
>>
>> you cannot understand that it is the _measurement_ of the force which
>> is fictional and not the feeling of being pulled out as a carousel
>> spins. You cannot make the force disappear just by invalidating your
>> own measurements. You should not think that websites are the
>ultimate
>> authority on anything, either, as subjective opinion runs rampart all
>> through it. You will learn that, Bilgy, when if ever you get to the
>> fifth grade.
>>
>> TomGee
>
>One more little experiment, Tom, on your carousel. Take your
>pocketwatch on the carousel with you and hang it by its chain between
>your thumb and forefinger. If you don't have a pocketwatch, take your
>wristwatch and hang it by a string in the same way. Now have someone
>spin you up on the carousel.
>
>You see the watch swings outward on the chain. Why, you ask? Is it
>centrifugal force? No, your fourth grade teacher says, look again.

Yes, that's probably what the teacher will say. physics teachers know
little physics.

There is ***nothing*** wrong with centrifugal force. The term
"fictitious" is misleading. True, it doesn't stem from interaction,
just from chice of reference frame. So? It is quite often convenient
to deal with a problem in an accelerated frame, rather than transform
to an inertial frame and back. And when you want to deal with a
problem in the accelerated frame and still use Newton's laws, you
include inertial forces (i much prefer the term "inertial" than the
misleading "fictitious").

Try the following problem. Assume that you've, say, the space shuttle
in a circular orbit around Earth, with a small mass placed in the
middle of the cargo hold, motionless relative to the shuttle. Now
give it a slight nudge. Write the Lagrangian for the system, in the
shuttle coordinates and observe the equations of motion. You'll find
a centrifugal term (and a Coriolis term, as well). Of course, if
you'll use an inertial frame, insted, these terms will disappear. But
you'll find the inertial frame far less convenient. It is a matter of
pragmatism, not ideological soap boxes.

Consider the equation

ax^2 + bx + c = 0

I'm sure that you're aware that one can always eliminate the middl
(linear) term by a proper shift of the origin of x. So? Do we call
this middle term "fictitious" and warn students never to use it? That
would be nonsense.

Mind you, this has nothing to do with the value of TomGee's gibberish.
But then, since you chose to waste your time by responding to him ...