From: TomGee on
bz,
You seem to think that acceleration means "to speed up", which it does,
but not in physics.
TomGee

From: PD on

"PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> >TomGee wrote:
> >> Wormy, Bilge, PD, and all you other lemmings,
> >>
> >> you cannot understand that it is the _measurement_ of the force
which
> >> is fictional and not the feeling of being pulled out as a carousel
> >> spins. You cannot make the force disappear just by invalidating
your
> >> own measurements. You should not think that websites are the
> >ultimate
> >> authority on anything, either, as subjective opinion runs rampart
all
> >> through it. You will learn that, Bilgy, when if ever you get to
the
> >> fifth grade.
> >>
> >> TomGee
> >
> >One more little experiment, Tom, on your carousel. Take your
> >pocketwatch on the carousel with you and hang it by its chain
between
> >your thumb and forefinger. If you don't have a pocketwatch, take
your
> >wristwatch and hang it by a string in the same way. Now have someone
> >spin you up on the carousel.
> >
> >You see the watch swings outward on the chain. Why, you ask? Is it
> >centrifugal force? No, your fourth grade teacher says, look again.
>
> Yes, that's probably what the teacher will say. physics teachers
know
> little physics.

Gee, and I thought most university-based physicists were physics
teachers.

> There is ***nothing*** wrong with centrifugal force. The term
> "fictitious" is misleading. True, it doesn't stem from interaction,
> just from chice of reference frame. So? It is quite often
convenient
> to deal with a problem in an accelerated frame, rather than transform

> to an inertial frame and back. And when you want to deal with a
> problem in the accelerated frame and still use Newton's laws, you
> include inertial forces (i much prefer the term "inertial" than the
> misleading "fictitious").
>
> Try the following problem. Assume that you've, say, the space
shuttle
> in a circular orbit around Earth, with a small mass placed in the
> middle of the cargo hold, motionless relative to the shuttle. Now
> give it a slight nudge. Write the Lagrangian for the system, in the
> shuttle coordinates and observe the equations of motion. You'll find

> a centrifugal term (and a Coriolis term, as well). Of course, if
> you'll use an inertial frame, insted, these terms will disappear.
But
> you'll find the inertial frame far less convenient. It is a matter
of
> pragmatism, not ideological soap boxes.

Maybe it's just me, but computational pragmatism should follow physical
intuition IMHO. You are absolutely right that it's more convenient to
work sometimes in the accelerated frame and see things like effective
potential and a Coriolis term, and in such cases it's always a good
idea to mentally note "And that thing there is because we are working
in an accelerated frame."

> Consider the equation
>
> ax^2 + bx + c = 0
>
> I'm sure that you're aware that one can always eliminate the middl
> (linear) term by a proper shift of the origin of x. So? Do we call
> this middle term "fictitious" and warn students never to use it?
That
> would be nonsense.

No, but by the same token, I wouldn't say, "This problem is much more
conveniently solved if we shift the origin." Indeed, I would probably
work it both ways (or have students do it) so that they could see both
the more intuitive but harder-to-solve method, as well as the clever
trick, so that they could look at what's going on in the clever trick.

> Mind you, this has nothing to do with the value of TomGee's
gibberish.
> But then, since you chose to waste your time by responding to him ...

Ah, we each have our chosen crosses, don't we?

> Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
> meron(a)cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the
same"

From: bz on
"TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in news:1112115150.600993.187790
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> bz,
> You seem to think that acceleration means "to speed up", which it does,
> but not in physics.
> TomGee

I understand. It was the person I was conversing with that said that since
the gyro precession was at a constant speed, there was no acceleration, thus
no force and no work. Argh.

I have been trying to administer clue.

I have learned a few things myself during research to refute his ideas.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
From: PD on

Gregory L. Hansen wrote:
> In article <slrnd4h9dg.6h5.dubious(a)radioactivex.lebesque-al.net>,
> Bilge <cranks(a)fghfgigtu.com> wrote:
> > mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu:
> >
> > >I don't see anything in the formulation of newton's laws saying
that
> > >forces must be traceable to fundamental interactions. What should
be
> > >taught is that there are "physical forces" which are, indeed, a
> > >measure of interactions between objects, and there may be
additional
> > >"inertial forces" which are an artifact of the choice of reference

> > >frame. But being an artifact, does not mean that they've no
> >
> > ``Inertial force'' is an oxymoron. If ``inertial forces'' are
> >to be considered forces, then the word ``force'' is nothing but
> >a placeholder for a noun, since anything is then a force.
>
> A force makes something accelerate. If you're at rest in an
accelerate
> frame you might see a ball accelerate spontaneously. If it
accelerated, a
> force must have acted on it. "Inertial force" might not be the best
name
> for that because they don't appear in an inertial reference frame.
> --

It's a common, common misconception that the motion produces the force.
Battling this is a key beachhead.

PD

From: RP on

mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:
> In article <d2ac7c$65m$5(a)rainier.uits.indiana.edu>, glhansen(a)steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) writes:
>
>>In article <slrnd4h9dg.6h5.dubious(a)radioactivex.lebesque-al.net>,
>>Bilge <cranks(a)fghfgigtu.com> wrote:
>>
>>>mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu:

>>> ``Inertial force'' is an oxymoron. If ``inertial forces'' are
>>>to be considered forces, then the word ``force'' is nothing but
>>>a placeholder for a noun, since anything is then a force.
>>
>>A force makes something accelerate. If you're at rest in an accelerate
>>frame you might see a ball accelerate spontaneously. If it accelerated, a
>>force must have acted on it. "Inertial force" might not be the best name
>>for that because they don't appear in an inertial reference frame.
>>--
>
> Got a point. Lets call them "non-inertial forces".

How about artificial gravitational forces.

Richard Perry