From: Daryl McCullough on
Gregory L. Hansen says...

>Daryl McCullough <stevendaryl3016(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>I guess whether or not the ball accelerates when you let go of it
>>depends on how you define "acceleration". Here's the way I see
>>things, mathematically: Letting V be the velocity vector, and
>>A be the acceleration vector, we have: (where e_k = the kth basis
>>vector)
>>
>> V = V^k e_k
>> A = (d/dt V^k) e_k + V^k (d/dt e_k)
>> = (d/dt V^k) e_k + V^i (d/dt e_i) (changing the dummy index k to i)
>>
>>Now, we can rewrite d/dt e_i as follows:
>>
>> d/dt e_i = dx^j/dt d/dx^j e_i
>> = V^j (d/dx^j e_i)
>> = V^j G^k_ji e_k
>>
>>where the matrix G^k_ji is defined via
>>
>> d/dx^j e_i = G^k_ji e_k
>>
>>Putting this altogether,
>>
>> A = (d/dt V^k) e_k + V^i V^j G^k_ji e_k
>>
>>Or in component form,
>>
>> A^k = (d/dt V^k) + V^i V^j G^k_ji
>>
>>If you release a ball while sitting on a spinning carousel,
>>the first term (d/dt V^k) is nonzero, but the second term
>>V^i V^j G^k_ji exactly cancels it, to give zero acceleration.
>
>The way I see that, you have declared "There shall be no mechanics
>performed in an accelerated frame!"

Why do you say that? I'm telling you *how* to do mechanics
in an accelerated frame. There is no way to do it without
connection coefficients. The question is whether you call them
"force terms" or "acceleration terms".

>What makes you think the e_i have a time dependence?

Well, in order to compare vectors at different times, you
have to have some operational way to do parallel transport.
For spatial vectors, you can use gyroscopes: Set the gyroscope
into motion pointing along a particular vector A at time t1.
At a later time, t2, you compare A at time t2 to the direction
that the gyroscope is pointing.

>On a spinning carousel, if I define e_1 by a line
>extending from the center to the black horse, and
>e_2 from the black horse to the red one just ahead,
>then they're not going to change.

The coordinates of the black horse don't
change with time, but the basis vectors do.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Bilge on
mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu:
>In article <slrnd4h9dg.6h5.dubious(a)radioactivex.lebesque-al.net>,
>dubious(a)radioactivex.lebesque-al.net (Bilge) writes:
>> mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu:
>>
>> >I don't see anything in the formulation of newton's laws saying that
>> >forces must be traceable to fundamental interactions. What should be
>> >taught is that there are "physical forces" which are, indeed, a
>> >measure of interactions between objects, and there may be additional
>> >"inertial forces" which are an artifact of the choice of reference
>> >frame. But being an artifact, does not mean that they've no
>>
>> ``Inertial force'' is an oxymoron. If ``inertial forces'' are
>>to be considered forces, then the word ``force'' is nothing but
>>a placeholder for a noun, since anything is then a force.
>>
>Not "anything". Just anything that can be plugged into f = ma to
>yield equations of motion.

That would be anything, if you admit ``inertial forces'' to be
forces. ``Fictitious force'' would be a lot more apt.

>You can use, say, the Coriolis force in
>this way, but I doubt very much that pepperoni pizza will work.

Sure I can, just by balancing the electromagnetic force with
the ``force of gravity'' to treat the pizza oven as an inertial
frame when explaining why the pizza is (supposedly) at rest.

From: PD on

Bill Hobba wrote:
> <mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu> wrote in message
> > In article <hT%1e.15978$C7.12491(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Bill
Hobba"
> <bhobba(a)rubbish.net.au> writes:
> > >
> > ><mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu> wrote in message
<1112038910.784307.230090(a)o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,

<1112035436.549412.84900(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

> carousel

> circular

> stationary

If
TomGee is
He's

> It
> who's

If
> TomGee
> with

I see

> > >Which is just another reason force should be considered as a
secondary
> > >concept - the PLA is the primary concept. End of rant.
> > >
> > Oh, the PLA most certainly is ***the*** primary concept. So
primary,
> > in fact, that it serves as foundation not only for Newtonian
mechanics
> > but (with appropriate generalizations) for most of physics. No
> > argument about it.
> >
> > This said, the fact remains that, for applying the PLA, a level of
> > mathematical knowledge and sofistication is required which is way
> > beyond the capabilities of a beginning (high school) physics
student
> > and, in fact, way beyond this that most people ever reach. So, we
> > maintain forces as a crutch to be used till more is learned.
That's
> > really their remaining role.
>
> Most certainly. But if we are to use forces then I think we need a
> discussion of what they really mean along the lines of what Feynman
did in
> the lectures. In fact I consider that to be compulsory reading even
for
> grade 8 students (at least the chapters they have the mathematics to
> understand - other chapters can be added as their mathematical
knowledge
> grows). Having understood what Feynman wrote I think a lot of
confusion can
> be avoided. In my case I always wondered why a definition could be a
law.
> It confused me for many years until I read a rather nifty old book on
> classical mechanics. It clearly explained the real import of
Newton's Laws
> was in his third law. That was the start of actually understanding
what was
> happening. The full resolution came with Landua - Mechanics. I
think it
> would be great if students did not need to go through this process
and were
> taught what was happening right form the start - at least as much of
it as
> they can initially handle.
>
> Thanks
> Bill

IMHO, the number-one problem students have in physics is making a
connection between physics and reality. You can appeal to them about
what they've all seen about the flight of a baseball, and then you ask
them to draw the trajectory of a fly ball in a physics problem and you
get straight lines, you get trajectories with corners, you get crazy
stuff. And I've *asked* them, "You've been to baseball games, right?
Does this look like what you see?" And they'll look at me blankly and
say, "But this doesn't have to look real. It's physics."

The number-two problem is ill-formed and overlapping concepts, like
distinguishing displacement, acceleration, and velocity in the
catch-all "to go", or the distinction between force, momentum, kinetic
energy, and power. Teaching students to be careful and precise in their
definitions is asking a lot of them.

The number-three problem is pre-existing misconceptions, like thinking
that a bullet falls to the ground because it is slowing in flight.

None of these would be addressed by pulling out a Power Tool, making a
Tim-Allen guttural grunt, and saying, "Now THIS is REAL physics!" IMHO,
we do our students a service by teaching them to
* check against their intuition
* recast their intuitive ideas with carefully defined terms
* recognize places where the edges of their intuition are a little
fuzzy
* be rigorous in making explicit predictions they can check with
observation, and thereby incorporate those observations into an
expanded intuition.
To me, this is teaching them to think like a physicist.

PD

From: PD on

TomGee wrote:
> PD wrote:
> > TomGee wrote:
> > > Wormy, Bilge, PD, and all you other lemmings,
> > >
> > > you cannot understand that it is the _measurement_ of the force
> which
> > > is fictional and not the feeling of being pulled out as a
carousel
> > > spins.
> >
> > Nope. You feel the force pulling you *in*, which is a force you are
> > unaccustomed to, and so you mistakenly associate that with a force
> > pulling you out. Your naive interpretations are what's tripping you
> up.
> >

> Next time you're on a carousel, PD, let go and fall in toward the
> center ofit, ok?

Now, if I let go and my head and shoulders go in a straight line, and
my feet that are pulled toward the center by the friction with the
surface of the carousel, what's going to happen?

> I am glad you agree that it is the measurements which
> are fictional and not the force (though Otherwise you would have made
> some attempt at disagreeing with that, right?).
> >

> > Let me ask you another question. As an elevator suddenly starts to
> > descend, you feel lighter. Are you in fact lighter? Why should
> Earth's
> > gravity pull on you less just because the floor of the elevator
> started
> > to go down?

Answer this one, Tom.

> > Let me ask you another question. You are on a road making a
circular
> > bend left in your car. What force acting on the car enables you to
> > change your straight-line motion? You hit an icy patch in the
middle
> of
> > the turn. What happens to your car? Does it go *straight* or does
it
> go
> > *outward*? What force has disappeared when you hit the icy patch?

Answer this one, Tom.

> > > You cannot make the force disappear just by invalidating your
> > > own measurements. You should not think that websites are the
> > ultimate
> > > authority on anything, either, as subjective opinion runs rampart
> all
> > > through it.
> >
> > Which is why I reference textbooks, Tom. Which you refuse to read.
> >

> No, I don't. I already read them, and they did not support your
> claims.

You are so full of ****. Write down the 2nd, 3rd, 4th words on the
second line of page 938 of Fishbane, Gasiorowicz, Thornton, 3rd
edition, if you've read it.

> > > You will learn that, Bilgy, when if ever you get to the
> > > fifth grade.
> > >

> > You call us lemmings, Tom, but we're pointing out things that
really
> > are basic, classical physics.
> >

> No, you're not. Your claims are even wilder than mine, and you
refuse
> to support them. Your interpretations of common terms are so far off
> that they don't even make sense. That is because you only read
> opinionated wefsites claiming to be factual

Like what? I've been referencing books and articles, not websites.

From: TomGee on
Yes, PD, but none have anything to do with our subject specifically nor
do they support your claims.
TomGee