From: mmeron on
In article <pPmdnT872IUW8tTfRVn-rw(a)rcn.net>, jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:
>In article <7K52e.21$45.3808(a)news.uchicago.edu>,
> mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:
>>In article <Xns9627C5AEB62D6WQAHBGMXSZHVspammote(a)130.39.198.139>, bz
><bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> writes:
>>>mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote in

>Hobba"

>correction

>>>Especially when someone keeps insisting that force is always the result
>of
>>>acceleration
>>
>>Cause, not result.
>>
>>> and that without acceleration (as for example when a gyro
>>>precesses at a constant rate, or when a mass moves at a constant velocity
>>>because it is overcoming drag or friction) there is no force and no work.
>>>
>>Where there is net force, there is acceleration. The F in Newton's
>>law is the total (i.e.) net force acting. Since forces are vectors,
>>it is perfectly possible to have different non-zero forces to sum up
>>to a zero net force.
>
>This is why using algebra in first physics courses hurts learning
>more than it helps.

I don't see why it should hurt. Of course, it is better if you can
use calculus, not just algebra.

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
meron(a)cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"
From: mmeron on
In article <slrnd4j3jn.6h5.dubious(a)radioactivex.lebesque-al.net>, dubious(a)radioactivex.lebesque-al.net (Bilge) writes:
> mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu:
> >In article <d2ac7c$65m$5(a)rainier.uits.indiana.edu>,
> >glhansen(a)steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) writes:

> >>A force makes something accelerate. If you're at rest in an accelerate
> >>frame you might see a ball accelerate spontaneously. If it accelerated, a
> >>force must have acted on it. "Inertial force" might not be the best name
> >>for that because they don't appear in an inertial reference frame.
> >>--
> >Got a point. Lets call them "non-inertial forces".
>
> That would be redundant.

There is no keepiong everybody happy, I see:-)

From: mmeron on
In article <1112115765.897415.6600(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> writes:

>mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:
>> In article <1112038415.659261.203550(a)l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

>which
>your
>> >ultimate
>all
>the

>> >One more little experiment, Tom, on your carousel. Take your
>> >pocketwatch on the carousel with you and hang it by its chain
>between
>> >your thumb and forefinger. If you don't have a pocketwatch, take
>your
>> >wristwatch and hang it by a string in the same way. Now have someone
>> >spin you up on the carousel.
>> >
>> >You see the watch swings outward on the chain. Why, you ask? Is it
>> >centrifugal force? No, your fourth grade teacher says, look again.
>>
>> Yes, that's probably what the teacher will say. physics teachers
>know
>> little physics.
>
>Gee, and I thought most university-based physicists were physics
>teachers.

Oh, but are they good teachers?:-)

>> There is ***nothing*** wrong with centrifugal force. The term
>> "fictitious" is misleading. True, it doesn't stem from interaction,
>> just from chice of reference frame. So? It is quite often
>convenient
>> to deal with a problem in an accelerated frame, rather than transform
>
>> to an inertial frame and back. And when you want to deal with a
>> problem in the accelerated frame and still use Newton's laws, you
>> include inertial forces (i much prefer the term "inertial" than the
>> misleading "fictitious").
>>
>> Try the following problem. Assume that you've, say, the space
>shuttle
>> in a circular orbit around Earth, with a small mass placed in the
>> middle of the cargo hold, motionless relative to the shuttle. Now
>> give it a slight nudge. Write the Lagrangian for the system, in the
>> shuttle coordinates and observe the equations of motion. You'll find
>
>> a centrifugal term (and a Coriolis term, as well). Of course, if
>> you'll use an inertial frame, insted, these terms will disappear.
>But
>> you'll find the inertial frame far less convenient. It is a matter
>of
>> pragmatism, not ideological soap boxes.
>
>Maybe it's just me, but computational pragmatism should follow physical
>intuition IMHO. You are absolutely right that it's more convenient to
>work sometimes in the accelerated frame and see things like effective
>potential and a Coriolis term, and in such cases it's always a good
>idea to mentally note "And that thing there is because we are working
>in an accelerated frame."

Sure, no argument with this.

>> Consider the equation
>>
>> ax^2 + bx + c = 0
>>
>> I'm sure that you're aware that one can always eliminate the middl
>> (linear) term by a proper shift of the origin of x. So? Do we call
>> this middle term "fictitious" and warn students never to use it?
>That
>> would be nonsense.
>
>No, but by the same token, I wouldn't say, "This problem is much more
>conveniently solved if we shift the origin." Indeed, I would probably
>work it both ways (or have students do it) so that they could see both
>the more intuitive but harder-to-solve method, as well as the clever
>trick, so that they could look at what's going on in the clever trick.

Yes. And they would find the ability to see it both ways quite
useful. The one thing you wouldn't do would be stating "only one of
these ways is legitimate".

>> Mind you, this has nothing to do with the value of TomGee's
>gibberish.
>> But then, since you chose to waste your time by responding to him ...
>
>Ah, we each have our chosen crosses, don't we?

Indeed, tell me about it:-) Well, good luck, then.

From: Bill Hobba on

"PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> > discussion of what they really mean along the lines of what Feynman
> did in
> > the lectures. In fact I consider that to be compulsory reading even
> for
> > grade 8 students (at least the chapters they have the mathematics to
> > understand - other chapters can be added as their mathematical
> knowledge
> > grows). Having understood what Feynman wrote I think a lot of
> confusion can
> > be avoided. In my case I always wondered why a definition could be a
> law.
> > It confused me for many years until I read a rather nifty old book on
> > classical mechanics. It clearly explained the real import of
> Newton's Laws
> > was in his third law. That was the start of actually understanding
> what was
> > happening. The full resolution came with Landua - Mechanics. I
> think it
> > would be great if students did not need to go through this process
> and were
> > taught what was happening right form the start - at least as much of
> it as
> > they can initially handle.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Bill
> >

> IMHO, the number-one problem students have in physics is making a
> connection between physics and reality. You can appeal to them about
> what they've all seen about the flight of a baseball, and then you ask
> them to draw the trajectory of a fly ball in a physics problem and you
> get straight lines, you get trajectories with corners, you get crazy
> stuff. And I've *asked* them, "You've been to baseball games, right?
> Does this look like what you see?" And they'll look at me blankly and
> say, "But this doesn't have to look real. It's physics."
>
> The number-two problem is ill-formed and overlapping concepts, like
> distinguishing displacement, acceleration, and velocity in the
> catch-all "to go", or the distinction between force, momentum, kinetic
> energy, and power. Teaching students to be careful and precise in their
> definitions is asking a lot of them.
>
> The number-three problem is pre-existing misconceptions, like thinking
> that a bullet falls to the ground because it is slowing in flight.
>
> None of these would be addressed by pulling out a Power Tool, making a
> Tim-Allen guttural grunt, and saying, "Now THIS is REAL physics!" IMHO,
> we do our students a service by teaching them to
> * check against their intuition
> * recast their intuitive ideas with carefully defined terms
> * recognize places where the edges of their intuition are a little
> fuzzy
> * be rigorous in making explicit predictions they can check with
> observation, and thereby incorporate those observations into an
> expanded intuition.
> To me, this is teaching them to think like a physicist.

PD you have experience in teaching students physics - I do not (limited to
teaching some math). So I must say your observations hold much greater
weight than mine. But perhaps as I suggested in another post there may be
some value in tailoring material to the requirements of each student? After
all when a student does have questions like I did and they get no
satisfactory answer are we not doing a disservice to that student? Of
course the problem is how can we accommodate these students with limited
teaching resources. Perhaps we need more teachers like Jaime Escalante
http://www.govtech.net/magazine/visions/feb98vision/escalante.php
He does not believe in separating students out - he believes in challenging
them. But I am biased - along with Feynman he is one of my heroes.

Thanks
Bill

From: Tom Capizzi on

<puppet_sock(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> dubious(a)radioactivex.lebesque-al.net (Bilge) wrote in message
>> Nick:
>> >What is the velocity of an electron in a shell?
>>
>> Velocity isn't a quantum mechanical observable.
>
> Of course it is. What ever do you think you get when you take
> the time derivative of position?

Electrons don't really have position. They have complex probability
amplitudes.
What do you get when you take the derivative of that?