From: PD on
mme...(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:
> In article <1112196981.243012.132440(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> writes:

[snip]

> [...]
students
> >leaving high school have no idea how to apply for a career-oriented
> >job. It's also my experience that there is an enormous number of
> >students who get an undergraduate degree and then enter a career
path
> >that has nothing to do with their undergraduate majors -- grocery
store
> >managers with poli.sci. degrees, marketing assistants with English
> >degrees, bankers with psychology degrees. You want an enlightening
> >experience? Go to a university commencement sometime and count the
> >number matriculating with psychology, marketing, or media
> >communications degrees.
> >
> >To me, the years 18-22 are imbued with enormous learning capacity
and
> >energy and drive. Unless one *needs* to go to school to attain an
> >objective, I see little value in wasting four years of prime time
> >learning things that will be of lesser value than on-the-job
training.
> >There are exceptions, of course; schools of architecture, nursing,
> >engineering, law, medicine, and the like -- those are clearly
> >identified with a specific end-goal.
> >
> Well, note that that modern university does in fact encompass two
> completely different types of institutions, which used to be separate

> (and which might've been better off for remaining separate).
>
> The traditional university was a place where kids from affluent
> families (plus the occasional poor but bright youngster with an
> affluent sponsor) went to acquire social and cultural polish. Its
> degree didn't qualify you to do anything specific and didn't signify
> any exceptional skills other than possibly the ability to maintain
> pleasant and refined conversation at social functions. Of course,
> there was also the sprinkling of "weirdos" who went to university to
> study something they were passionately interested in, but it was
> numerically insignificant (as it remains).
>
> The second kind of higher learning institutions were high fallutin
> vocational schools. Early on law and medicine, later engineering,
> nursing, teachers colleges and the like. Here there was no pretense
> of "general knowledge and culture", you went there to acquire
specific
> skills required to practice a specific profession. Much of the
> learning was hands on, you were actually tested on your ability to
> perform what's needed in your chosen profession, and the diploma you
> got (assuming you got that far) attested that "yes, so and so is
> qualified as beginning practitioner of such and such field".
> Completely different setup than the one above. And, yes, getting a
> diploma from such school gave you a good chance to advance in life
but
> you had to work hard for such diploma (and have the necessary skills
> as well).
>
> So now, we confused together these two different types of
institutions with
> quite different guiding philosophies, and confused the students as
> well.
> >
> >Increasingly, I'm becoming a fan of the old
> >apprentice/journeyman/master system of training.
>
> Of course. The oldest of teaching schemes and by far the best.
Only,
> being very demanding in terms of teacher/student ratio, it is not
> really applicable as a model for universal education. thus ...

[snip]

Ironically, the students who do go on to graduate school (and physics
is not unique in this, though physics is an excellent case study) end
up being valuable and versatile in the marketplace, even if they end up
doing work completely unrelated to traditional physics. Why? Because
their graduate work, under the guidance of a professor on a
apprentice/journeyman/master arrangement, trains them to be excellent
collaborators in a small work group, excellent communicators, highly
self-motivated, and excellent problem-solvers where the solution is not
obvious. It's a big Duh!

In other words, specifically by eschewing a liberal arts and sciences
education, PhDs end up being well-rounded and agile in just about any
field. This, more than anything, should point to the future of liberal
arts and science education at universities in a general way.
Unfortunately, it will likely take 200 years and 50 generations of
students before a fundamental change in university structure takes
over.

PD

From: mmeron on
In article <1112221708.840067.203290(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>mme...(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:
>> In article <1112196981.243012.132440(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>"PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
>[snip]
>

>> >Increasingly, I'm becoming a fan of the old
>> >apprentice/journeyman/master system of training.
>>
>> Of course. The oldest of teaching schemes and by far the best.
>Only,
>> being very demanding in terms of teacher/student ratio, it is not
>> really applicable as a model for universal education. thus ...
>>
>[snip]
>
>Ironically, the students who do go on to graduate school (and physics
>is not unique in this, though physics is an excellent case study) end
>up being valuable and versatile in the marketplace, even if they end up
>doing work completely unrelated to traditional physics. Why? Because
>their graduate work, under the guidance of a professor on a
>apprentice/journeyman/master arrangement, trains them to be excellent
>collaborators in a small work group, excellent communicators, highly
>self-motivated, and excellent problem-solvers where the solution is not
>obvious. It's a big Duh!

Yep. It works beautifully.

>In other words, specifically by eschewing a liberal arts and sciences
>education, PhDs end up being well-rounded and agile in just about any
>field. This, more than anything, should point to the future of liberal
>arts and science education at universities in a general way.

Well, liberal arts and sciences education may be valuable enriching
the lives of those who *are* genuinely interested in the topics. On
the others (who are the vast majority) it is wasted. And as
preparation for the workplace it has no merits.

>Unfortunately, it will likely take 200 years and 50 generations of
>students before a fundamental change in university structure takes
>over.

It takes generations to fix what took generations to screw up:-(
Though, employers may hasten up the process if and when they'll
adjust their selection criteria.

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
meron(a)cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"
From: Bill Hobba on

<jmfbahciv(a)aol.com> wrote in message news:RtidnWcXTP7uC9ffRVn-2Q(a)rcn.net...
> In article <07n2e.41$45.5359(a)news.uchicago.edu>,
> mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:
> >In article <GJk2e.16991$C7.9156(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Bill Hobba"
> <bhobba(a)rubbish.net.au> writes:
> <snip>

> >>Having read the replies by yourself, Gregory and PD I relise in
> suggesting
> >>that I had forgetten one of the things I emphasize in education. It
must
> >>actually be tested rather than be based on what I or others may think
> >>belongs in a course.
> >>
> >Aye, exactly.
>
> The Mass. board of education is now trying to add science
> as part of the high school graduation requirement.

Hmmmm. Although a proponent of science teaching in schools I am not sure if
knowledge of science beyond grade 10 or even grade 8 is required. Many
professions such as law, graphic design etc require only minimal science. I
think the interests of students would be better served by examining the
needs of each student on an individual basis and igniting an interest in
math and science (look what Jaime Escalante did) rather than setting
minimums.

> The
> year proposed was 2008 but news broadcasts are now saying
> it can't happen until 2010. Listen for the whinging from
> teachers' unions. One of them is already running ads that
> they can't teach science because there is only 1 microscope/
> 10 students. That's an awfully high ratio even though the
> ads want you to think that it's too low. When I went to
> high school, I estimate the ration to be 1/100.

The carry on of unions sometimes is pathetic - and where I worked I was a
union delegate. But keep in mind their purpose is to get the best deal
possible for their members. They couch it in the language we want what is
best for the students but it is easy to see what there true agenda is. If
they were really concerned we would see more teachers taking matters into
their own hands - teachers like Jaime Escalante. Here in Australia it is
well known that a much higher percentage of teachers send their students to
private schools. When reporters ask about this you know what the union
advises the teachers to say - we are just exercising our right to choose.
They must think people are brain dead or something.

Thanks
Bill

From: Bill Hobba on

<mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu> wrote in message
> In article <e9adncBCPNmLCdffRVn-uw(a)rcn.net>, jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:
> >In article <f1l2e.34$45.5068(a)news.uchicago.edu>,
> > mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:

> >deserves.

> >Coulombs

> >the

> >velocity
> >work.

> >>I don't see why it should hurt. Of course, it is better if you can
> >>use calculus, not just algebra.
> >
> >Oh, it hurts because the concept of changes doesn't show up
> >when doing the math.
>
> Well, that's true. Newton had good reasons to create calculus,
> without it you're mostly limited to static situations. Unfortunately,
> though, high schools teach calculus late (if at all).

Is that true Mati? Here in Australia it is taught in grade 11 and 12 (which
would make the students 16 and 17) And last I heard it was being taught in
some private schools in grade 9 and 10 which I thought was a positive move.
I wonder why? I learnt about it when I was 14 and had no trouble.

Thanks
Bill

From: mmeron on
In article <g3G2e.18186$C7.13173(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Bill Hobba" <bhobba(a)rubbish.net.au> writes:

><mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu> wrote in message
>> In article <e9adncBCPNmLCdffRVn-uw(a)rcn.net>, jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:

>> >deserves.

>full
>> >Coulombs

>> >the

>result

>> >velocity
>> >work.

>> >Oh, it hurts because the concept of changes doesn't show up
>> >when doing the math.
>>
>> Well, that's true. Newton had good reasons to create calculus,
>> without it you're mostly limited to static situations. Unfortunately,
>> though, high schools teach calculus late (if at all).
>
>Is that true Mati? Here in Australia it is taught in grade 11 and 12 (which
>would make the students 16 and 17) And last I heard it was being taught in
>some private schools in grade 9 and 10 which I thought was a positive move.
>I wonder why? I learnt about it when I was 14 and had no trouble.

Well, you have to realize that in the US there is no such thing as
nationwide (or even state wide) public school curriculum. Policies
are set on the school district level and the population a given
school district serves may range in size from 10-20 thousand to few
millions. So, it is quite possible to have high schools in
neighboring towns at widely different levels (yes, I'm aware that even
where the schools are nominally all the same, they're not really so,
but the differences here are larger).

This said and done, in any US public school I know, calculus is taught
(not to all, only the students who opt to take it) in grade 12 (with a
possibility of a bright 11 grader taking it as en elective).