From: Tom Capizzi on

"TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

a lot of nonsense

Tom Capizzi wrote:
> "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Tom Capizzi wrote:
> > For some reason Outlook Express has failed to add attribution
carets
> to this
> > reply.
> > I will identify my comments with a "|".
> >
> > "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Tom Capizzi wrote:
> > > "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

SNIP

> > "inertial force
> > Encyclopýdia Britannica Article
> >
> > Page 1 of 1
> >
> > also called Fictitious Force, any force invoked by an observer
> > maintain the validity of Isaac Newton's second law of motion in a
> > reference frame that is rotating or otherwise accelerating at a
> > constant rate. For specific inertial forces, see centrifugal force;
> > Coriolis force; d'Alembert's principle."
> >
> > I can see why you picked that one, since none of the ones before
that
> > one make the same claim. I did not go beyond that page, but I
wonder
> if
> > any others make the same claim.
> >
> > The funny thing is, Brittanica identifies the "Fictitious Force" as
> > _any_ force used to defend the second law, but the second law does
> not
> > identify any particular forces since it is a simple equation to
> > determine the amount of force in an accelerated mass (F=ma). Which
> > would mean that any force which accelerates a mass is a fictitious
> > force! Of course, that cannot be correct, can it? It seems that
> > Brittanica is somewhat confused about this issue.
> >
> > | You parsed the sentence incorrectly. It does not mean _every_
force
> used
> > | defend the second law, but the second law in a reference frame
that
> is
> > rotating
> > | or otherwise accelerating at a constant rate
> >

> But "any" can mean "every" depending on how it is used. Weren't you
>
> | You miss the point. The issue is not whether to use "any" or
"every".

Well, you're the one who made it an issue, not me.

| Wrong again. Just look up 2 lines. That is your comment comparing "any"
| and "every". That was not my point. My point was you clipped the
qualifying
| clause off the sentence (that referred to rotation or acceleration).

> The
> | issue is whether you crop the sentence so that the qualifying
phrase "in a
> | reference frame that is rotating or otherwise accelerating at a
constant
> rate"
> | is not included. That changes the meaning of the statement
unacceptably.

Your argument then is that you interpret Brittanica as saying it only
happens in an accelerating frame? I said that at the very beginning.

| Bull. You wouldn't accept the definition of inertial forces as belonging
| to rotating or accelerating frames of reference until I spoon fed you
| the Britannica article.

But Brittanica doesn't say what you think it says, as I explained in my

| Where you repeated the same mistake.

> the one arguing in favor of synonyms? Above, you also made the
> statement that inertial forces only exist in accelerating frames,
then
> immediately contradicted that by saying, "Inertia causing a body to
>
> | No contradiction. Your mistake is thinking inertia is a force or
that
> inertia is
> | the same thing as inertial force. Since they are not, they don't
have to
> have
> | similar properties.

But how can you think otherwise in view of the fact that they have the
name and exist as part of the same law, and the alternative is to
believe the nonsensical notion that Law 1 states no force is needed for
it to be valid.

| The Law of Inertia does not mention inertial forces. Second, your
| alternative is not the only one. In any case your interpretation of it
| is truly nonsense.

> move in a straight line is a property of a non-rotating frame." Now,
> Brittanica did not say inertial forces exist only in accelerating
> frames, did it? In fact, it did not even say they exist at all nor
>
> | Yes, it did.

No, it didn't.

| This argument is becoming pointless. Read the text from the Britannica.

> that they do not exist. It simply dodges the issue in saying they
are
> "called" fictitious forces (not that they _are_ fictitious forces)
and
> used to "invoke" - which means, "to cite" - Newton's 2nd when talking
>
> | I don't accept your definition of "invoke". The closest it comes to
"cite"
> | is "to incite". It is more like beg or implore. In context, it
means that
> the
> | Second Law would break down in accelerated frames without these
> | fictitious forces being conjured up out of nothing.

No, that is not my definition - I read it in the book I cited just

| What book?

below it. I have all along suspected you had no idea what a reference
work is and how to cite from it, or even what cite means. Now you have
proven true my suspicions with your silly refusal to accept proper
definitions which we all must accept.

| If you believe what you just wrote, you are an imbecile. If not, you're
just
| a nasty little troll.

Making up your own definitions to replace well-accepted ones in order
to support your bankrupt claims does not work cannot be taken as valid
argument.

| You are guilty of making up your own definitions. You even start your
| own threads about it. I just reject your poor choices for definitions.

> about accelerated frames. That does not mean what you claim it means
-
> that inertial forces only exist in accelerating frames.
>
> In fact, Newton's 2nd says nothing about any other force except the
one
> pertaining to the particular object to which it refers. Quote: "The
> relationship between _an_ (my emphasis - which means _one_uno_1_ )
> object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F." He may
> not claim in his 1st law that there exists in every object a force
> which we call inertia, but that is inferred from the fact that
objects
> are accelerated when external forces overcome their inertial force.
>
> | You are mixing apples and oranges again. Inertia is resistance to
force
> | and is meaningful in unaccelerated frames. Inertial force is fake
and
> | applies to accelerated frames.

That is your problem, thinking that in physics the term "fictional
force" means fake force. It doesn't, as the force exists in one frame
but not in another, but neither frame is a preferred frame, so the
existence of it is not in question. Your mistaken idea of what is a
"fictional force" is what causes you to think that a non-existent, or
"fake" force, as you put it, can physically apply to accelerated
frames. You are perfectly willing to accept the time dilation effect,

| Which, I might point out, occurs in a non-accelerated frame.

which is at least as strange as this particular force which appears to
exist only in accelerating frames, but because you cannot think on your
own, you find it impossible to believe that inertial force exists, even
when you can find no reason to argue that it doesn't.

I also claim that the only reason that the centripetal force exists is
because it is a function of gravitation, and I predict that in ref.
frames free of any gravitation, it will not exist, just like the
centrifugal force cannot exist in inertial frames.

| Hey stupid, try whirling a mass on a string in empty space, free of
| gravity. There is still plenty of centripetal force coming from the
| tension in the string.

> > In an inertial frame (which
> > is not
> > | rotating or accelerating, simply moving at constant velocity in a
> straight
> > line)
> > | the so-called inertial forces disappear.
> >

> No. That's nonsense.
>
> | Nonsense is trying to invent your own dictionary.

Yes, that's what I said above about you making up your own definitions.

> > I used
> >
> > http://observe.arc.nasa.gov/nasa/space/centrifugal/
> >
> > for a refresher reference to inertial forces. I found I had
> forgotten
> > more than I thought.
> > >

> > > Go
> > > www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocld=9000908 and see for yourself.
> > Inertial
> > > forces are also called fictitious forces, and they exist only in
> > accelerated
> > > frames
> > > of reference.
> > >

> > I take exception to that in view of my claim that law 1 applies to
> any
> > frame of reference.
> >
> > | One of the examples given was a ball in a wagon. If they are both
> > stationary and
> > | the wagon gets pulled, the ball seems to move to the back of the
> wagon.
> > From
> > | the external, stationary frame we can see that the ball has not
> moved at
> > all, but
> > | the wagon has shifted under it. First Law is ok. But in the frame
> of the
> > wagon
> > | itself, the ball has spontaneously moved from the front to the
back
> of the
> > wagon.
> > | This is a violation of the 1st Law in the frame of the wagon.
> >

> Oh? And just how is that a violation?
>
> | Are you really that dense? In the frame of the wagon, the ball
> spontaneously
> | moves from the front to the rear of the wagon. Since there is no
rotation,
> you
> | can't even invoke centrifugal or Coriolis "forces". In the frame of
the
> wagon,
> | what causes the ball to move?

So, you cannot show how that is a violation. Why make claims you can't
even debate logically? Let me ask you once more: How does that
violate the 1st?

| How much clearer does it have to be? A body in motion tends to stay
| in motion and a body at rest rends to stay at rest. In the frame of the
| wagon, a ball at rest spontaneously moves to the back of the wagon.

> > > Inertia, which causes bodies to keep moving in a straight
> > > line,
> > > applies to non-rotating frames, because the trajectory does not
> > appear to be
> > > straight line to an observer in a rotating frame.
> > >

> > No, Brittanica did not say that, that is the basis of your argument
> > that law 1 applies only to inertial frames. I have explained that
> the
> > trajectory is curved in a rotating frame due to the strength of the
> > "pulling" or frictional force(s) involved being sufficient to
capture
> > the object by overcoming the object's inertial force described in
Law
> > 1.
> >
> > | I tried to find Newton's exact words, but I could only find
> restatements
> > | by various authorities. In any case, although it is known as the
> Law of
> > | Inertia, there was no reference to inertial forces in any of
them.

> Not so. Your own source Brittanica uses the term "inertial force".
>
> | But not in the statement of the 1st Law itself.

Well, so what? If you can't find the term right under your nose,
obviously it will not exist for you anywhere at all no matter who says
it.

| I make a statement. You make a lame reply. I correct you and you say
| so what? and then resort to insults.

> > My
> > point
> > | was that a straight line appears curved in a rotating frame of
> reference
> > | for no obvious reason at all. Suppose you are in a region of
space
> which
> > | is empty except for you and an object moving in a straight line.
> Further
> > | assume that you are spinning in place, making the view from your
> eyes
> > | the origin of a rotating frame of reference. Depending on the
> actual
> > direction
> > | of the path it will appear to you to be a different type of
spiral.
> You
> > are
> > | required to invent a variety of fictional forces to explain this
> > situation, in
> > | spite of the fact that there are no forces at work at all.
> >

> Of course there forces at work. You think that reality is modeled
> after geometry when it is really the other way round.
>
> | What force is involved when a body is moving in a straight line at
> | constant velocity? According to the 1st Law, such a body
experiences
> | zero net force.

The Inertial Force, or, momentum, as implied in the 1st law and as

| Inertial force is not momentum.

Hobble agrees with me. No, such a body does not experiment 0 net
force, it only experiences that 0 net force from _external_ forces.
That does not mean it has no force of its own, since the law refers
only to external forces.

| If it's not accelerating, there is simply no total force of any kind.

SNIP

> [...]
> > >

> Come again? Can you rephrase that to make sense?

> > law's
> > frames
> > wonder
> read
> > came
> > force
> > >
> > > I'm guessing that your usage of the term inertial force is not
> > actually
> > > consistent
> > > with the actual definition of the term. Inertia itself is not a
> > force. It is
> > > resistance
> > > to force, and is proportional to mass
> > >

> > Proportional to mass??? Inertia is not resistance to force. That
is
> > friction. You can guess about my use of terms all you want, but
> > guessing don't make it so. Support your claims, don't just say,
"I'm
> > guessing...."
> >
> > | Again I refer to standard definitions. Friction is not resistance
> > force,
> > | it is a force.
> >

> No it isn't. Friction: "physics resistance encountered by moving
> object: the resistance encountered by an object moving relative to
> another object with which it is in contact"
> Microsoftý Encartaý Reference Library 2005. ý 1993-2004 Microsoft
> Corporation. All rights reserved.
> >

| As above, your Encarta dishes out pop interpretations, playing fast and
| loose with the actual meanings.

> > Resistance to change of motion is inertia,
> >

> Which is not the same as "resistance to force" as you claimed above,
is
> it?

| Change of motion is acceleration. In the context of an actual mass, the
| product is force.

> SNIP
> >

> > > Newton explicitly mentions moving in a straight line. That
excludes
> > rotating
> > > frames of reference. "Straight lines" in a rotating reference
frame
> > are
> > > actually
> > > complex spirals in the non-rotating frame.
> > >

> > But the object would move in a straight line if it was not captured
> in
> > the rotating frame.
> >
> > | Here you are mixing frames again. The object does not have to be
> captured
> > | in the rotating frame to be observed from it.
> >

> I did not say that it did. Even if it appears to curve to the
observer
> on the rotating frame, it is still moving out of its orbit due to its
> own inertial force overcoming the lack of external forces.
> >

> | You really don't get it. There is no orbit for a body moving in a
straight
> line
> | in empty space. But to an observer in a rotating frame the straight
line
> looks
> | like a curve - it is purely an illusion.

You are the one who doesn't get it. If the forces which have captured
a body into an orbit are suddenly removed, the object will leave its
orbit and begin to travel in a straight line. It does not matter what
that looks like to any observer as far as we are concerned here.

| But what it looks like to the observer is the whole point of inertial
| forces. In any case, you just shot down your own straw man. I posed
| the question about how an object moving in a straight line in free
| space looks to an observer in a rotating coordinate system.

> > The only way you can see
> > that
> > | it is moving in a straight line is to observe it from the
> non-rotating
> > frame.
> >

> Of course, since it really is to the observers in the inertial frame.
> So what's your point?
>

> > No, not true. The thing which makes velocity a vector is the rate
of
> > change in position of something with respect to time, involving
speed
> > and direction. Direction is only one of the elements involved. As
> >
> > | But direction is what makes the difference between just speed and
> > | velocity. Speed is a scalar. When you add direction it becomes
the
> > | vector, velocity. You actually wrote that the poster was "using
it
> > | mean 'direction'". He also used the term tangent which is another
> clue
> > | that he was speaking of direction.
> >

> Yes, he was, and I pointed out that he meant "direction" instead of
> "velocity", with which you now agree. But you cannot maintain the
same

> | I do not agree. He said the velocity was parallel to the tangent
which
> also
> | changes direction constantly as you change position on the path.

You just said that direction is what makes the vector, meaning that he
meant to say "vector" and not "direction", I take it. Thus, you
believe that it is possible for a vector to remain constant even though
it's variables change, correct?

| Incorrect.
| You put the word "direction" in his mouth. What he said was "velocity"
| which everybody knows is a vector with both magnitude and direction.
| He used it in the context of being tangent to the path, which is a
direction
| reference. I can't even guess how you came to the last conclusion above.

TomGee

From: TomGee on
Tom Capizzi wrote:
> "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> a lot of nonsense
>
> Tom Capizzi wrote:
> > "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Tom Capizzi wrote:
> > > For some reason Outlook Express has failed to add attribution
> carets
> > to this
> > > reply.
> > > I will identify my comments with a "|".
> > >
> > > "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> SNIP
> > >
> > > "inertial force
> > > Encyclopædia Britannica Article
> > >
> > > Page 1 of 1
> > >
> > > also called Fictitious Force, any force invoked by an
observer
> > > maintain the validity of Isaac Newton's second law of motion in a
> > > reference frame that is rotating or otherwise accelerating at a
> > > constant rate. For specific inertial forces, see centrifugal
force;
> > > Coriolis force; d'Alembert's principle."
> > >
> > > I can see why you picked that one, since none of the ones before
> that
> > > one make the same claim. I did not go beyond that page, but I
> wonder
> > if
> > > any others make the same claim.
> > >
> > > The funny thing is, Brittanica identifies the "Fictitious Force"
as
> > > _any_ force used to defend the second law, but the second law
does
> > not
> > > identify any particular forces since it is a simple equation to
> > > determine the amount of force in an accelerated mass (F=ma).
Which
> > > would mean that any force which accelerates a mass is a
fictitious
> > > force! Of course, that cannot be correct, can it? It seems that
> > > Brittanica is somewhat confused about this issue.

> force
> > used
> that
> > is
> > > rotating
> > >

> > But "any" can mean "every" depending on how it is used. Weren't
you

> > | You miss the point. The issue is not whether to use "any" or
> "every".
> >

> Well, you're the one who made it an issue, not me.
>
> | Wrong again. Just look up 2 lines. That is your comment comparing
"any"
> | and "every". That was not my point. My point was you clipped the
> qualifying
> | clause off the sentence (that referred to rotation or
acceleration).

No. You made it a point by putting underlines before and after "every"
which puts your emphasis on it.

> > The
> > | issue is whether you crop the sentence so that the qualifying
> phrase "in a
> > | reference frame that is rotating or otherwise accelerating at a
> constant
> > rate"
> > | is not included. That changes the meaning of the statement
> unacceptably.
> >

> Your argument then is that you interpret Brittanica as saying it only
> happens in an accelerating frame? I said that at the very beginning.
>
> | Bull. You wouldn't accept the definition of inertial forces as
belonging
> | to rotating or accelerating frames of reference until I spoon fed
you
> | the Britannica article.

Bull. Now you're trying to put words in my mouth. I do not agree with
you or Brittanica that inertial force occurs only in an accelerating
frame. My reference is to centrifugal force and not to other inertial
forces.

> But Brittanica doesn't say what you think it says, as I explained in
my

> | Where you repeated the same mistake.

No. That is your mistake.

> > the one arguing in favor of synonyms? Above, you also made the
> > statement that inertial forces only exist in accelerating frames,
> then
> > immediately contradicted that by saying, "Inertia causing a body to
> >
> > | No contradiction. Your mistake is thinking inertia is a force or
> that
> > inertia is
> > | the same thing as inertial force. Since they are not, they don't
> have to
> > have
> > | similar properties.
> >

> But how can you think otherwise in view of the fact that they have
the
> name and exist as part of the same law, and the alternative is to
> believe the nonsensical notion that Law 1 states no force is needed
for
> it to be valid.
>
> | The Law of Inertia does not mention inertial forces.

Um, if you're referring to Law 1, the title of it is "inertial forces"
in my reference, and your Brittanica ids them as "inertial forces", so
how can you deny it? And if you still refuse to accept that, tell us
what force keeps the object in its state of motion? To say that no
force is needed for that is to swallow whole the implication which has
ever been pushed as fact that Newton actually claimed that. I claim
that he said otherwise and that it was obviously lost in translation or
deliberately left out.

Your Brittanica refers to the second law specifically, but the 2nd law
applies to and explains the centripetal force, and that is not
fictional in a non-rotating frame, so Brittanica is obviously wrong in
its information about inertial forces, since it calls the centripetal
force fictional. However, from my POV, it is correct because I claim
that it is indeed fictional in a frame free of the gravitational force.

> Second, your
> | alternative is not the only one.

An alternative cannot be the only one, obviously, by definition.
Besides, I did not say it was, I said it is an alternative explanation
to the one all of us have been taught.

> In any case your interpretation of it
> | is truly nonsense.

That is your opinion and you're welcome to it, but your opinion is
truly nonsensical in view of the fact that my claim being true is a
possibility.

> > move in a straight line is a property of a non-rotating frame."
Now,
> > Brittanica did not say inertial forces exist only in accelerating
> > frames, did it? In fact, it did not even say they exist at all nor
> >
> > | Yes, it did.
> >

> No, it didn't.
> >

> | This argument is becoming pointless. Read the text from the
Britannica.

I did. See below:

> > that they do not exist. It simply dodges the issue in saying they
> are
> > "called" fictitious forces (not that they _are_ fictitious forces)
> and
> > used to "invoke" - which means, "to cite" - Newton's 2nd when
talking

> > | I don't accept your definition of "invoke". The closest it comes
> "cite"
> > | is "to incite". It is more like beg or implore. In context, it
> means that
> > the
> > | Second Law would break down in accelerated frames without these
> > | fictitious forces being conjured up out of nothing.
> >

> No, that is not my definition - I read it in the book I cited just
>
> | What book?

I meant to say in the book you cited.

> below it. I have all along suspected you had no idea what a
reference
> work is and how to cite from it, or even what cite means. Now you
have
> proven true my suspicions with your silly refusal to accept proper
> definitions which we all must accept.
>
> | If you believe what you just wrote, you are an imbecile. If not,
you're
> just
> | a nasty little troll.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

> Making up your own definitions to replace well-accepted ones in order
> to support your bankrupt claims does not work cannot be taken as
valid
> argument.
> >

> | You are guilty of making up your own definitions. You even start
your
> | own threads about it. I just reject your poor choices for
definitions.

No, I have never made up a definition. I have supported every
definition with a supporting reference. My choices are not poor and
you do not reject them because you think that but because you have a
psychological barrier beyond normal which delays unnecessarily your
final acceptance of new ideas, especially when they conflict with what
you have been taught.

> > about accelerated frames. That does not mean what you claim it
means
> -
> > that inertial forces only exist in accelerating frames.
> >
> > In fact, Newton's 2nd says nothing about any other force except the
> one
> > pertaining to the particular object to which it refers. Quote:
"The
> > relationship between _an_ (my emphasis - which means _one_uno_1_ )
> > object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F." He
may
> > not claim in his 1st law that there exists in every object a force
> > which we call inertia, but that is inferred from the fact that
> objects
> > are accelerated when external forces overcome their inertial force.
> >
> > | You are mixing apples and oranges again. Inertia is resistance to
> force
> > | and is meaningful in unaccelerated frames. Inertial force is fake
> and
> > | applies to accelerated frames.
> > >

> That is your problem, thinking that in physics the term "fictional
> force" means fake force. It doesn't, as the force exists in one
frame
> but not in another, but neither frame is a preferred frame, so the
> existence of it is not in question. Your mistaken idea of what is a
> "fictional force" is what causes you to think that a non-existent, or
> "fake" force, as you put it, can physically apply to accelerated
> frames. You are perfectly willing to accept the time dilation
effect,

> | Which, I might point out, occurs in a non-accelerated frame.
>
> which is at least as strange as this particular force which appears
> exist only in accelerating frames, but because you cannot think on
your
> own, you find it impossible to believe that inertial force exists,
even
> when you can find no reason to argue that it doesn't.
>
> I also claim that the only reason that the centripetal force exists
is
> because it is a function of gravitation, and I predict that in ref.
> frames free of any gravitation, it will not exist, just like the
> centrifugal force cannot exist in inertial frames.
> >

> | Hey stupid, try whirling a mass on a string in empty space, free of
> | gravity. There is still plenty of centripetal force coming from the
> | tension in the string.

No, I don't think so, fool, as you and the string are part of the mass,
like when whirling a baton there is no center-seeking force. And isn't
whirling a mass on a string in an area free of gravitation a rotating
frame? And wouldn't it be centrifugal force keeping the mass out in
orbit?

> > > In an inertial frame (which
> > > is not
> > straight
> > > line)
> > >

> > No. That's nonsense.
> >
> > | Nonsense is trying to invent your own dictionary.
> > >

> Yes, that's what I said above about you making up your own
definitions.

> > > I used
> > >
> > > http://observe.arc.nasa.gov/nasa/space/centrifugal/
> > >
> > > for a refresher reference to inertial forces. I found I had
> > forgotten
> > > more than I thought.

> > > Inertial
> > > accelerated
> > > >

> > > I take exception to that in view of my claim that law 1 applies
> > any
> > > frame of reference.

> > > stationary and
> > wagon.
> > > From
> > moved at
> > > all, but
> > of the
> > > wagon
> back
> > of the
> > > wagon.
> > >

> > Oh? And just how is that a violation?
> >
> > | Are you really that dense? In the frame of the wagon, the ball
> > spontaneously
> > | moves from the front to the rear of the wagon. Since there is no
> rotation,
> > you
> > | can't even invoke centrifugal or Coriolis "forces". In the frame
of
> the
> > wagon,
> > | what causes the ball to move?
> >

> So, you cannot show how that is a violation. Why make claims you
can't
> even debate logically? Let me ask you once more: How does that
> violate the 1st?
> > > >

> | How much clearer does it have to be? A body in motion tends to stay
> | in motion and a body at rest rends to stay at rest. In the frame of
the
> | wagon, a ball at rest spontaneously moves to the back of the wagon.

Oh, stop! I'm ROTFL, you're so hilarious!

> > > appear to be
> > > >

> > > No, Brittanica did not say that, that is the basis of your
argument
> > > that law 1 applies only to inertial frames. I have explained
that
> > the
> > > trajectory is curved in a rotating frame due to the strength of
the
> > > "pulling" or frictional force(s) involved being sufficient to
> capture
> > > the object by overcoming the object's inertial force described in
> Law
> > > 1.

> > restatements
> > Law of
> them.
> > >

> > Not so. Your own source Brittanica uses the term "inertial force".
> >
> > | But not in the statement of the 1st Law itself.
> >

> Well, so what? If you can't find the term right under your nose,
> obviously it will not exist for you anywhere at all no matter who
says
> it.
> >

> | I make a statement. You make a lame reply. I correct you and you
say
> | so what? and then resort to insults.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

> > > My
> > > point
> > reference
> space
> > which
> > Further
> > eyes
> > actual
> > > direction
> spiral.
> > You
> > > are
> > > situation, in
> > >

> > Of course there forces at work. You think that reality is modeled
> > after geometry when it is really the other way round.
> >
> > | What force is involved when a body is moving in a straight line
at
> > | constant velocity? According to the 1st Law, such a body
> experiences
> > | zero net force.

No, that's false. Such a body experiences zero net _external_ force.
You keep trying to leave out essential words just to win your argument,
but that won't work with me.

> The Inertial Force, or, momentum, as implied in the 1st law and as
>
> | Inertial force is not momentum.
>
> Hobble agrees with me. No, such a body does not experiment 0 net
> force, it only experiences that 0 net force from _external_ forces.
> That does not mean it has no force of its own, since the law refers
> only to external forces.
> > >

> | If it's not accelerating, there is simply no total force of any
kind.

That's what you've been taught, but fortunately I'm here to teach you
the truth.

> SNIP
> > >

> > Neither, I am trying to get back to using synonyms, which you seem
> > prefer. Momentum: "forward movement: the speed or force of
forward
> > movement of an object
> > the momentum gained on the downhill stretches of the course"
> > Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005. © 1993-2004
Microsoft
> > Corporation. All rights reserved.

> > > force,
> > >

> > No it isn't. Friction: "physics resistance encountered by moving
> > object: the resistance encountered by an object moving relative to
> > another object with which it is in contact"
> > Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005. © 1993-2004
Microsoft
> > Corporation. All rights reserved.
> > >

> | As above, your Encarta dishes out pop interpretations, playing fast
and
> | loose with the actual meanings.

Pot. Kettle. Black. [In defense of all encyclopedias]

> > > Resistance to change of motion is inertia,
> > >

> > Which is not the same as "resistance to force" as you claimed
above,
> is
> > it?
>
> | Change of motion is acceleration. In the context of an actual mass,
the
> | product is force.

Which is still not the same as "resistance to force" as you claimed
above,
is it?

> > SNIP

> excludes
> > > rotating
> frame
> > > are
> > > >

> > > But the object would move in a straight line if it was not
captured
> > in
> > > the rotating frame.

> > captured
> > >

> > I did not say that it did. Even if it appears to curve to the
> observer
> > on the rotating frame, it is still moving out of its orbit due to
its
> > own inertial force overcoming the lack of external forces.
> > >

> > | You really don't get it. There is no orbit for a body moving in a
> straight
> > line
> > | in empty space. But to an observer in a rotating frame the
straight
> line
> > looks
> > | like a curve - it is purely an illusion.
> >

> You are the one who doesn't get it. If the forces which have
captured
> a body into an orbit are suddenly removed, the object will leave its
> orbit and begin to travel in a straight line. It does not matter
what
> that looks like to any observer as far as we are concerned here.
> >

> | But what it looks like to the observer is the whole point of
inertial
> | forces.

Not just of inertial forces but of all observed effects. So what?

> In any case, you just shot down your own straw man.

I did? How?

> I posed
> | the question about how an object moving in a straight line in free
> | space looks to an observer in a rotating coordinate system.

Does that statement have anything to do with what we're talking about?

> > > The only way you can see
> > > that
> > non-rotating
> > > frame.
> > >

> > Of course, since it really is to the observers in the inertial
frame.
> > So what's your point?
> >

> > > No, not true. The thing which makes velocity a vector is the
rate
> of
> > > change in position of something with respect to time, involving
> speed
> > > and direction. Direction is only one of the elements involved.
As

> the
> it
> > clue
> > >

> > Yes, he was, and I pointed out that he meant "direction" instead of
> > "velocity", with which you now agree. But you cannot maintain the
> same
> >
> > | I do not agree. He said the velocity was parallel to the tangent
> which
> > also
> > | changes direction constantly as you change position on the path.
> >

> You just said that direction is what makes the vector, meaning that
he
> meant to say "vector" and not "direction", I take it. Thus, you
> believe that it is possible for a vector to remain constant even
though
> it's variables change, correct?
>
> | Incorrect.
> | You put the word "direction" in his mouth. What he said was
"velocity"
> | which everybody knows is a vector with both magnitude and
direction.
> | He used it in the context of being tangent to the path, which is a
> direction
> | reference.

That's what I said: direction.

TomGee

From: Tom Capizzi on

Tom Capizzi wrote:
> [...]

> > | I don't accept your definition of "invoke". The closest it comes
> "cite"
> > | is "to incite". It is more like beg or implore. In context, it
> means that
> > the
> > | Second Law would break down in accelerated frames without these
> > | fictitious forces being conjured up out of nothing.
> >

> No, that is not my definition - I read it in the book I cited just
>
> | What book?

I meant to say in the book you cited.

> below it. I have all along suspected you had no idea what a
reference
> work is and how to cite from it, or even what cite means. Now you
have
> proven true my suspicions with your silly refusal to accept proper
> definitions which we all must accept.
>
> | If you believe what you just wrote, you are an imbecile. If not,

Pot. Kettle. Black.

> [...]

> only to external forces.
> > >

> | If it's not accelerating, there is simply no total force of any
kind.

That's what you've been taught, but fortunately I'm here to teach you
the truth.

| Your version of 'truth' I can live without.

> SNIP
> > >

> > Neither, I am trying to get back to using synonyms, which you seem
> > prefer. Momentum: "forward movement: the speed or force of
forward
> > movement of an object
> > the momentum gained on the downhill stretches of the course"
> > Microsoftý Encartaý Reference Library 2005. ý 1993-2004
Microsoft
> > Corporation. All rights reserved.

| Extremely sloppy definition. Momentum has units of 'mass*length/time'.
| Speed has units of 'length/time', and force has units of
'mass*length/time^2'.
> [...]

> same
> >
> > | I do not agree. He said the velocity was parallel to the tangent
> which
> > also
> > | changes direction constantly as you change position on the path.
> >

> You just said that direction is what makes the vector, meaning that
he
> meant to say "vector" and not "direction", I take it. Thus, you
> believe that it is possible for a vector to remain constant even
though
> it's variables change, correct?
>
> | Incorrect.
> | You put the word "direction" in his mouth. What he said was
"velocity"
> | which everybody knows is a vector with both magnitude and
direction.
> | He used it in the context of being tangent to the path, which is a

That's what I said: direction.

TomGee

From: TomGee on

Tom Capizzi wrote:
> "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Tom Capizzi wrote:
> > "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > a lot of nonsense
> >
> > Tom Capizzi wrote:
> > > "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > carets
> > > to this

> > SNIP

> observer
> force;

SNIP

> No. You made it a point by putting underlines before and after
"every"
> which puts your emphasis on it.
>
> | I didn't realize that a couple of underscores would confuse you
that much.

I was not confused. Why did you put in the underscores if not to
emphasize your point? There is no other reason for you to have done
that, so you had to have intended to emphasize the word, unless you
became confused while writing your response.

SNIP

> > Your argument then is that you interpret Brittanica as saying it
only
> > happens in an accelerating frame? I said that at the very
beginning.

> > | Bull. You wouldn't accept the definition of inertial forces as
> belonging
> > | to rotating or accelerating frames of reference until I spoon fed
> you
> > | the Britannica article.
> >

> Bull. Now you're trying to put words in my mouth. I do not agree
with
> you or Brittanica that inertial force occurs only in an accelerating
> frame. My reference is to centrifugal force and not to other
inertial
> forces.
>
> | What's your point? Centrifugal force is just another inertial
force, and
> like
> | the others, it is fictional.

My point is that I agree with you et al that centrifugal force is a
fictional force occurring only to the observer in a rotating frame, but
that is not the only inertial force id'd by Newton. Also, the
centripetal force is fictional as well since it cannot occur where
there is no gravitational force. Finally, my point is that the
inertial force id'd by Newton in his 1st law exists inherent in the
single object referred to in the law, as Newton said.

> [...]
force.

> > Second, your
> > | alternative is not the only one.
> >

> An alternative cannot be the only one, obviously, by definition.
> Besides, I did not say it was, I said it is an alternative
explanation
> to the one all of us have been taught.

SNIP

> > | You are guilty of making up your own definitions. You even start
> your
> > | own threads about it. I just reject your poor choices for
> definitions.
> >

> No, I have never made up a definition. I have supported every
>
> | Are you or are you not the same Tom Gee who posted on February 28:
> > TomGee wrote:
> > > Well, then, Wormy, if energy is not force, what is it?
> > > TomGee
> | in a thread "My definition of force!!"? And then proceeded to argue

Yes, indeedy, that's me, you make my case for me by claiming that I
"proceeded to argue" for my explanation of why I said that. Exactly
what I said, that I have never without proper support for it. I gave a
number of examples why I defined energy as a force, and neither you nor
anyone else could give one single valid reason why they were wrong.
All you could say was, "Duhhh, that ain't what I was taught." Well,
that ain't a valid reason.

> definition with a supporting reference. My choices are not poor and
> you do not reject them because you think that but because you have a
> psychological barrier beyond normal which delays unnecessarily your
> final acceptance of new ideas, especially when they conflict with
what
> you have been taught.
>
> | Since what I have been taught is by and large correct, I require
more than
> | your opinion to replace accepted science with some flaky new idea.

So everyone says, but why did you accept and defend what you have been
taught as the truth, even when you have learned that much of what we're
taught later turns out to be false? Because we are better rewarded
when we conform than when we question our teachers. The easy way is to
"get along" and not make any waves. The problem with that comes later
when you are asked to think independently but you cannot since you were
brainwashed into never doing your own thinking. when someone comes
along with new ideas, what do you do? Well, you force them to recant,
or you torture and burn them at the stake, or you crucify them.

I have posted my opinions here, but not without support for them each
and every time. To overthow them, you have only to show how or why
they cannot be true. But yet, even in the case above, notwithstanding
my laborious work in trying to show you how my ideas are valid, and
even though you can come up with no reasonable explanations for your
positions, you still "...require more than [my] opinion" to have you
think I could be right in what I say.

SNIP

> > I also claim that the only reason that the centripetal force exists
> is
> > because it is a function of gravitation, and I predict that in ref.
> > frames free of any gravitation, it will not exist, just like the
> > centrifugal force cannot exist in inertial frames.
> > >

> > | Hey stupid, try whirling a mass on a string in empty space, free
of
> > | gravity. There is still plenty of centripetal force coming from
the
> > | tension in the string.
> >

> No, I don't think so, fool, as you and the string are part of the
mass,
> like when whirling a baton there is no center-seeking force. And
isn't
> whirling a mass on a string in an area free of gravitation a rotating
> frame? And wouldn't it be centrifugal force keeping the mass out in
> orbit?
>
> | I agree that you don't think. The baton is a red herring because it
is a
> rigid
> | body. However, should it fatigue and fracture, linear momentum
would
> | carry the broken end away in a straight line.

Right, and when the string breaks, the same thing happens. But that is
because the string and the "rigid body" are the same thing since the
ball is tied to the string.

> You also confuse 'rotational
> | motion in a stationary frame' with 'rotating frame', which applies
to the
> mass
> | at the end of the string, not to the origin of the string.

No, I don't. You have made another wild claim with no support for it.

> And it is never
> | fictional centrifugal force doing anything. The mass wants to
travel in a
> | straight line, tangent to its instantaneous direction.It is the
> centripetal
> | acceleration resulting from the centripetal force provided by the
tension
> | in the string which prevents the mass from moving away, giving the
> illusion
> | that it is kept 'out in orbit'. In any case in free space it is a
frame
> without
> | gravity, as opposed to your prediction above:
> | >the only reason that the centripetal force exists is
> | > because it is a function of gravitation,

In your example above, you claim that the centripetal force is provided
by the string, but the string provides no such force as it constitutes
and acts, as you said, like a "rigid body" when it is tied to the ball
at one end and to you at the other.

The centrifugal force is called a fictional force because it only
occurs in rotating frames and not in inertial frames. But since it
does occur, it is not a fake force, and it is not any more fictional
than centipetal force is in an inertial frame lacking gravitational
forces. Thus, if there is no centrifugal force, there is no
centripetal force either.

Just as the centripetal force is a function of the fundamental
gravitational force, so is the centrifugal force a function of the
fundamental inertial force.

There is no need for you to resign. Simply look for ways to overthrow
my ideas which leaves no room for doubt that you are right and I am
wrong. That is all I ask. Nitpicking my ideas to death is not the way
to fault them. Review the other thread like this one and also the one
I started, "Newton's First The Fifth Force?", and try to imagine that
there is a way to trap me and keep me from continuing to narrowly
escape through some loophole. Use the same strategies we use in Chess,
the game: Mount a general offensive to try to survive, but always look
for a wrong move from your opponent. If you make less errors than he,
you have a chance to trap him. There is no doubt in a checkmate, only
in a stalemate.

What does it matter in the larger scheme whether inertial forces are
called fictional forces? Those arguments are already well-debated, and
they are a waste of time for us to do that again. What has not been
debated is my contention that the inertial force of the 1st law
identifies a fifth fundamental force. Would that not be a revelation
if it turns out to be so? Now that is worth debating!

What has not been debated is my contention that Newton never really
said that no force is needed for the object of his 1st law to continue
in its state of motion when external forces are not imposed upon it.
That is apparently what the whole wide world believes because they
believe that physicists are not corruptible like politicians are. And
they believe, contrary to many historical lessons, that scientists are
quite bright and able to think rationally at all times. And they
forget that great discoveries have occurred because of some Doubting
Thomas or some child who could not see any cloths on the emperor when
everyone else saw them plain as day.

Have you not wondered why if I am so stupid that it is so difficult to
overthrow my ideas?

TomGee

From: Tom Capizzi on

"TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

[snip]