From: Ken Muldrew on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

>In article <3avtadF6bq14rU1(a)individual.net>,
> "robert j. kolker" <nowhere(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
>>
>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

>>> they can't teach science because there is only 1 microscope/
>>> 10 students. That's an awfully high ratio even though the
>>> ads want you to think that it's too low. When I went to
>>> high school, I estimate the ration to be 1/100.
>>
>>While the relative scarcity of lab equipment
>
>1 in 10 is not a scarcity. I would call it wastage.

You're forgetting the undisciplined nature of today's schoolchildren.
The worst that can happen to them for misbehaving is they go on
holiday for a while. 1/100 microscopes will turn into 0 working
microscopes and 1/100 broken microscopes within the first week of
classes. And although this situation creates a niche for a useful and
productive course in scientific instrumentation (where the students
could fix all the broken stuff), such a course will never appear in a
modern high school.

Ken Muldrew
kmuldrezw(a)ucalgazry.ca
(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)
From: PD on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> In article <3avtadF6bq14rU1(a)individual.net>,
> "robert j. kolker" <nowhere(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
> >

> >jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> >

> >> The Mass. board of education is now trying to add science
> >> as part of the high school graduation requirement. The
> >> year proposed was 2008 but news broadcasts are now saying
> >> it can't happen until 2010. Listen for the whinging from
> >> teachers' unions. One of them is already running ads that
> >> they can't teach science because there is only 1 microscope/
> >> 10 students. That's an awfully high ratio even though the
> >> ads want you to think that it's too low. When I went to
> >> high school, I estimate the ration to be 1/100.
> >
> >While the relative scarcity of lab equipment
>
> 1 in 10 is not a scarcity. I would call it wastage.
>
> > .might impact the quality of
> >lab based science instruction there is no shortage of blackboards or

> >overhead viewscreen devices. The theoretical aspects of physics and
the
> >associated mathematics can be taught with the material resources
> >currently at hand.
> >
> >On the other hand biology and chemistry does not a substatial
laboratory
> >practice component to be taught properly. If one does not dissect
the
> >worm or frog one has no sense of the asymmetry of internal structure
of
> >complicated organisms.
>
> Each student does not need biology and chemistry lab equipment
> 7x24. A class of 30 use the lab for 45 minutes at a time. Multiply
> by number of classes per day. ...although I have been noticing that
> the school buses are now dumping kids at 14:15 lately. That means
> that a kid gets 4 hours of class?

You are right, of course, but you assume that students in a classroom
will be doing different things at different times, which means that the
teacher must orchestrate and monitor at least two different activities
simultaneously. This is often unrealistic and results in bedlam. A
science class is a plenary experience and not a parallel experience, by
default, *unless* someone is very creative and structured with a
curriculum that supports parallelism. As any conference organizer can
tell you, it is exponentially harder to arrange parallel sessions than
plenary sessions. This is where things begin to bog down with teachers.

PD

From: PD on
TomGee wrote:
> Tom Capizzi wrote:
> > "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > PD wrote:
> >
> SNIP
> >

> > Centrifugal forces don't exist. They are mistakes of perception and
> no force
> > actually pushes out.
> >

> Not so. The inertial force of a mass wants it to go straight but the
> gravitational force wants it to turn and if an orbit results the net
> force is on the side of gravity but just enough to pull it into
orbit.

> > > the
> Both
> > >>

> > > Velocity is a vector but you are using it to mean "direction".
> Speed
> > > cannot be tangent nor perpendicular to anything, so you're
babbling
> > > now.
> >
> > Talking about yourself again? Vector:
> > 2. (Math.) A directed quantity, as a straight line, a force, or a
> velocity.
> > Vectors are said to be equal when their directions are the same
their

> > magnitudes equal. Cf. Scalar. [1913 Webster]
> >

> That's what I said, velocity is a vector. It is also "speed", but
that
> is not what he means.

You, apparently, have no idea what I mean. Velocity is a vector with
both a magnitude (the magnitude is synonymous with speed) and a
direction. This vector can most certainly lie tangent to the trajectory
and I have no idea why you think this is nonsense. Moreover, a force,
which is also a vector with both a magnitude and a direction, can most
certainly be perpendicular to the velocity. I hope this clears things
up for you.

> If he is saying that the forces are imposed
> perpendicular to the speed, if he means to use velocity for speed,
that
> would be nonsense, as I noted above. If he means to say that the
> direction of the mass quantity is tangent to the path of the object
> (trajectory), that too makes no sense.

> change
> > > maintain
> > >>

> > > Mygawd Im talking to a child! There is no magnitude in velocity!

Um...really? A velocity is a vector with both magnitude (speed) and
direction.

> It
> > > is a measure of the rate of change of position of something wrt
> time,
> > > speed, and direction.
> >
> > See above definition of vector. Clearly it has magnitude. You don't
> know
> > what you are talking about again.
> >

> If magnitude and quantity had the same meaning, we would have use for
> only one and not both.

Good lord, you really mean that? No room for synonyms in your "common
language" definitions? Suppose you look up both magnitude and quantity
in your Encarta.

> grade
> > >>

> > > I can't believe you are so ignorant as to claim that the 2nd law
> allows
> > > objects to remain in orbit if all forces are removed. I let that
> > > foolishness go by the first time you said it, to keep from making
> you
> > > look sillier, but it is you who brings that onto yourself, not
me,
> with
> > > your absurdities.
> >
> > Look again. It says 1st law. If you actually read the 1st law you
> would know
> > that it says motion "in the same direction", that is to say a
> straight line,
> > unless acted on by unbalanced forces.
> >

> If you actually understood what is being said you would know circular
> motion is not a straight line. Or do you agree with Silly there that
> objects in circular motion, orbits or orbitals, will continue in such
> motion even when the forces maintaining them in such motion are
> removed?

Nor is that what I said. A net force on an object will change an
object's velocity. This means it might change the velocity's magnitude
only, or its direction only, or both. In the case of circular motion,
the centripetal force affects the velocity's direction, not its
magnitude.

> > > problem
> you
> then
> > >>

> > > All but a few have dared to agree with me or disagree with you,
> but, as
> > > I said in my first post in this thread, I find it incredible that
> the
> > > first 8 posters could not answer a simple question properly.
> Either
> > > they all think you're the greatest thing since Einstein or they
> will
> > > agree to anything so long as they don't have to agree with me.
> > >

> > The question was what keeps the electron spinning around the
nucleus,
> not
> > what keeps it attracted. Maybe they are the same thing to you, but
> they are
> > actually perpendicular directions. In physics, perpendicular
> components,
> > even of the same vector, are independent. If you wanted to know
what
> > attracts the electron, you should have asked a better question. Of
> course,
> > it seems you already had the answer you wanted, but were trying to
> bait a
> > troll's trap.
> >

> Hey, I did not ask the questions. You seem to think that the
question
> was what keeps it moving? It was not. He asked what keeps it moving
> _around the nucleus_, as you correctly state above.

I see, so you read the original poster's subject line, but did not
bother to read the content of his message? Dig through your archives
and find out what he really said. Or is it impossible for you to keep
more than 7 words in your head at one time?

PD

From: PD on
TomGee wrote:
> Tom Capizzi wrote:

[snip]

> > The question was what keeps the electron spinning around the
nucleus,
> not
> > what keeps it attracted. Maybe they are the same thing to you, but
> they are
> > actually perpendicular directions. In physics, perpendicular
> components,
> > even of the same vector, are independent. If you wanted to know
what
> > attracts the electron, you should have asked a better question. Of
> course,
> > it seems you already had the answer you wanted, but were trying to
> bait a
> > troll's trap.
> >

> Hey, I did not ask the questions. You seem to think that the
question
> was what keeps it moving? It was not. He asked what keeps it moving
> _around the nucleus_, as you correctly state above. You don't seem
> see the distinction between those two questions, but that is not my
> fault. Something keeps free electrons moving, and as free electrons,
> they are not then moving around any nucleus. Since the question was
> that specific, so was my answer.

In case you don't remember the original post:
Nick asked:
=====================
What is the velocity of an electron in a shell?
Can they move at different speeds and remain in the
same shell?

More imporatant is what sustains them in their perpetual motions?
Mitch -- Light Falls --
=====================

From: TomGee on

Tom Capizzi wrote:
> "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Tom Capizzi wrote:
> >> "TomGee" <lvlus(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > SNIP
> >>

> >> Centrifugal forces don't exist. They are mistakes of perception
and
> > no force
> >> actually pushes out.
> >>

> > Not so. The inertial force of a mass wants it to go straight but
the
> > gravitational force wants it to turn and if an orbit results the
net
> > force is on the side of gravity but just enough to pull it into
orbit.

> Inertial force only exists in the rotating frame. Inertia causing a
body to
> move in a
> straight line is a property of a non-rotating frame, as such straight
lines
> appear
> to be curves in a rotating frame. You're mixing frames of reference.

So you say, but saying so don't make it so, remember? Or did you
forget again? Talk is cheap but support requires heavy labor. Cite
something (and no websites unless they make the same claim you make
above plus the explanation for it which you failed to provide above.
Why should the inertial force of the 1st law be excluded from rotating
frames, in view of thefact that Newton makes no such distinction.

SNIP

> > Speed
> >>
> >> Talking about yourself again? Vector:
> >> 2. (Math.) A directed quantity, as a straight line, a force, or a
> > velocity.
> >> Vectors are said to be equal when their directions are the same
their

> >> magnitudes equal. Cf. Scalar. [1913 Webster]
> >>

> > That's what I said, velocity is a vector. It is also "speed", but
that
> > is not what he means. If he is saying that the forces are imposed
>
> He is saying exactly what he means: the radius of the circle is at
right
> angles
> to the velocity (vector). It is inappropriate to claim anything is
> perpendicular
> to speed.

Of course. That's what I said.

SNIP

> > perpendicular to the speed, if he means to use velocity for speed,
that
> > would be nonsense, as I noted above. If he means to say that the
> > direction of the mass quantity is tangent to the path of the object
> > (trajectory), that too makes no sense.
>
> Makes sense to me. At any given point on the trajectory of any object
the
> direction is defined to be the tangent at that point.

I won't belabor this point any further, but he said, in effect, that
the object moves in the direction which the object moves.

SNIP

> > If magnitude and quantity had the same meaning, we would have use
for
> > only one and not both.
>
> Since you want to quibble about definitions, what in Gee-speak do you
claim
> is the difference? Besides, have you never heard of synonyms?

Why is it okay for others to use synonyms in physics but not for me to
use them? In physics it is the finer points which seem to win the day,
they tell me. If you want to know the difference, look them up
yourself and then let me know.

> > grade

> > allows
> > you
> > with
> >>
> >> Look again. It says 1st law. If you actually read the 1st law you
> > would know
> >> that it says motion "in the same direction", that is to say a
> > straight line,
> >> unless acted on by unbalanced forces.
> >>

> > If you actually understood what is being said you would know
circular
> > motion is not a straight line. Or do you agree with Silly there
that
> > objects in circular motion, orbits or orbitals, will continue in
such
> > motion even when the forces maintaining them in such motion are
> > removed?
>
> You misrepresent what others say and expect agreement on your error?

I do not misrepresent what others say. What they say is in black and
white for all to read. You disagree with me so you claim I am
misrepresenting what others say. If I did that, aren't you smart
enough to show others where I have done that?

SNIP

> >> The question was what keeps the electron spinning around the
nucleus,
> > not
> >> what keeps it attracted. Maybe they are the same thing to you, but
> > they are
> >> actually perpendicular directions.

SNIP

> >> it seems you already had the answer you wanted, but were trying to
> > bait a
> >> troll's trap.
> >>

> > Hey, I did not ask the questions. You seem to think that the
question
> > was what keeps it moving? It was not. He asked what keeps it
moving
> > _around the nucleus_, as you correctly state above. You don't seem
> > see the distinction between those two questions, but that is not my
>
> Your error. I explicitly pointed out that the two questions are
different
> above.

You did? Why? I already did that. Do you think the OP did not want
to know what keeps it moving around the nucleus? Why did he ask that
then?

> Earlier you made a spurious claim about speed when the poster
specifically
> used the term velocity.

No, I did not. You misunderstood what I said. I said that using speed
was inappropriate if he meant that definition of velocity, and you
agree to that.

> Below you make reference to the irrelevant "free
> electron". Nobody is talking about free electrons but you.

Yes, because I am using them to make my point which shows you/he
misunderstood the question from the gitgo.