From: Gregory L. Hansen on
In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0503310705060.25009-100000(a)dill.hep.wisc.edu>,
Creighton Hogg <wchogg(a)hep.wisc.edu> wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:
>
>> In article
><Pine.LNX.4.44.0503301941040.20954-100000(a)dill.hep.wisc.edu>, Creighton
>Hogg <wchogg(a)hep.wisc.edu> writes:
>> >Indeed this is the case as I've seen it as well. I learned
>> >it on my own in 10th grade because I was bored and
>> >frustrated. There's no reason why kids that age can't
>> >handle it.
>> >
>> Try to explain this to the school boards (and be prepared to face
>> charges of elitism).
>
>I don't really understand why people fight so hard against
>teaching math and science earlier or why they fight so hard
>against making students learn it at all. It's like some
>kindof cultural block against it. I sometimes think there's
>become some kindof two-tone deafness about children and
>children's education. Sometimes it seems like people think
>you can be loving, caring, and accepting of whatever a child
>does, or you can be a sadistic monster that tormets children
>day and night with nothing in between, and since telling a
>child that they did something wrong isn't being accepting...

I remember one guy I talked to who thought that foreign language should be
required every year, but science shouldn't be required because it's
boring. There was obviously some kind of thinking that the language was
indispensible and science just wasn't very important, but I didn't pursue
it very far.

--
"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is
poetry, imagination." -- Max Planck
From: David Cross on
"PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Actually, for this I blame university science departments,
> *particularly* physics. Physics departments generally do not even
> *consider* training students to be future junior high or high school
> physics teachers. They are so all-fired focussed on producing research
> physicists or engineers, and yet they complain about the miserable
> preparation incoming students have.

The ironic problem is that people are also steered away from teaching in high
school if it becomes a big political football between the government and the
teachers, as has happened here in BC. Because of the politics of the situation
hiring isn't dependent on factors such as retirement rates, new intakes of
students, etc, it's dictated by how much money the government can chop out of
the budget and not make everybody scream. This means new intakes of teachers
will be hampered for years, and in my case I'm not willing to chance that
uncertainty.

So I've decided to go on to my Ph. D. :) Which I will have, eventually.
*groan*... still a long way ahead.

--
David Cross
dcross1 AT shaw DOT ca

From: Creighton Hogg on
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, PD wrote:

> Creighton Hogg wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> <Pine.LNX.4.44.0503301941040.20954-100000(a)dill.hep.wisc.edu>, Creighton
> > > >
> > > Try to explain this to the school boards (and be prepared to face
> > > charges of elitism).
> >
> > I don't really understand why people fight so hard against
> > teaching math and science earlier or why they fight so hard
> > against making students learn it at all. It's like some
> > kindof cultural block against it.
>
> [snip]
>
> Actually, for this I blame university science departments,
> *particularly* physics. Physics departments generally do not even
> *consider* training students to be future junior high or high school
> physics teachers. They are so all-fired focussed on producing research
> physicists or engineers, and yet they complain about the miserable
> preparation incoming students have.
>
> I recall one time joining forces with the school of education to have a
> physics lab at an amusement park, which I was arranging for my "physics
> for the terrified" class. I had written up a lab manual, which mind you
> was directed at liberal arts students, and gave it to the professor in
> the education department. She sent it back, horrified, saying that it
> was above the heads of her students. Keep in mind her students were our
> future high school science teachers.
>
> When physics majors can graduate with a B.S. or even a B.A. and be
> guided to teaching physics in secondary school by their departments,
> then we'll have made a step forward. Heck, even a masters in physics is
> essentially a throwaway degree -- aim all those people at teaching
> physics at the secondary level.

Well I know that part of the problem for me was that there
were so many classes and such things you had to do in order
to become certified to teach at a school. It was a real
turnoff.
I see your point in blaming the science departments,
but I think it's rather strange that the education departments
I've seen demand so little technical training in order
to teach math or science.
From: PD on

Nick wrote:
> What is the velocity of an electron in a shell?
> Can they move at different speeds and remain in the
> same shell?
>
> More imporatant is what sustains them in their perpetual motions?
> Mitch -- Light Falls --

Mitch/Nick:
TomGee and I are confused about your last question.
Are you asking what holds the electron bound to the proton?
Or are you asking why they keep moving and don't eventually stop?
The answers to the two questions are different.

PD

From: Ken Muldrew on
mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:

>In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0503301941040.20954-100000(a)dill.hep.wisc.edu>, Creighton Hogg <wchogg(a)hep.wisc.edu> writes:
>>
>>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:

>>> This said and done, in any US public school I know, calculus is taught
>>> (not to all, only the students who opt to take it) in grade 12 (with a
>>> possibility of a bright 11 grader taking it as en elective).
>>
>>Indeed this is the case as I've seen it as well. I learned
>>it on my own in 10th grade because I was bored and
>>frustrated. There's no reason why kids that age can't
>>handle it.
>>
>Try to explain this to the school boards (and be prepared to face
>charges of elitism).

Sit the school board down and force them to do a page of long division
of polynomials and then a page of derivatives. Hopefully there's at
least one person who can do it and he or she will convince the others
that they have made a grave error in the curriculum.

Ken Muldrew
kmuldrezw(a)ucalgazry.ca
(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)