From: mmeron on
In article <d2a0ma0td8(a)drn.newsguy.com>, stevendaryl3016(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) writes:
>mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu says...
>>I don't see anything in the formulation of newton's laws saying that
>>forces must be traceable to fundamental interactions. What should be
>>taught is that there are "physical forces" which are, indeed, a
>>measure of interactions between objects, and there may be additional
>>"inertial forces" which are an artifact of the choice of reference
>>frame.
>
>To me, the part that is misleading is the treatment of *acceleration*.
>The use of "inertial forces" amounts to defining acceleration to be
>the quantity
>
> A = e_i d/dt V^i
>
>instead of defining it to be
>
> A = d/dt (e_i V^i)
>
>If you use the first definition of "acceleration", then you
>have to introduce fictitious forces in order to preserve F = mA.
>If you use the second definition, then no fictitious forces are
>needed. I think that for more advanced physics, it is a mistake
>to equate a vector with its components, which is what is happening
>in defining acceleration component-wise as A^i = d/dt V^i.

For more advanced physics you write the Lagrangian and solve the
resulting equations of motion, and forces become an unimportant
concept (as Bill Hobba mentioned), so it is a moot point. Still, in
practical terms, you'll often choose, even then, a non-inertial
reference frame and you'll like your answers to be relative to same
frame as well. In such case, it'll be a waste of time and effort to
transform to an inertial frame and back and, assuming you already
chose to work in the accelerated frame, it'll be a waste of mental
energy to keep mumbling to yourself "terms 2 and 4 are not really
forces, I just pretend they're":-)

Take the simple problem of calculating the impact point of a
projectile fired from some point at Earth with some initial velocity
form some point P, (ignoring, for convenience, both air resistance and
the motion of the earth around the Sun). So, is anything gained in the
process by first picking an inertial frame with an origin momentarily
coinciding with P at the launch moment, calculating the initial velocity
in this frame (by adding the momentary velocity vector corresponding to
the earth rotatoin, at the elevation and geographic latitude of P,
then solving the orbital equation of motion, finding at what location
(relative to the inertial frame) the trajectory crosses the Earth
surface, then translating this location to a location in the Earth
coordinates (taking into account how much the Earth rotated in the
meantime). Sure, you can do it. But, why? It is much simpler to
work in a frame corotating with the Earth, all across. Sure, you'll
have additional terms, centrifugal (gasp, the horror) and Coriolis
forces, but it is still simpler. Seeing how Landau wasn't above
mentioning both centrifugal and coriolis forces in his Mechanics, is
see no reason for purism here.

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
meron(a)cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"
From: Bill Hobba on

<bhobba(a)rubbish.net.au> writes:

> ><mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu> wrote in message
> >> In article <1112038910.784307.230090(a)o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,

It

TomGee

> >> I don't see anything in the formulation of newton's laws saying that
> >> forces must be traceable to fundamental interactions. What should be
> >> taught is that there are "physical forces" which are, indeed, a
> >> measure of interactions between objects, and there may be additional
> >> "inertial forces" which are an artifact of the choice of reference
> >> frame. But being an artifact, does not mean that they've no
> >> observable effects on motion relative to said reference frame. I see
> >> no reason to treat it as some sort of a dangerous knowledge that
> >> should be kept away from the uninitiated, else their mind may
> >> explode:-)
> >
> >Which is just another reason force should be considered as a secondary
> >concept - the PLA is the primary concept. End of rant.
> >
> Oh, the PLA most certainly is ***the*** primary concept. So primary,
> in fact, that it serves as foundation not only for Newtonian mechanics
> but (with appropriate generalizations) for most of physics. No
> argument about it.
>
> This said, the fact remains that, for applying the PLA, a level of
> mathematical knowledge and sofistication is required which is way
> beyond the capabilities of a beginning (high school) physics student
> and, in fact, way beyond this that most people ever reach. So, we
> maintain forces as a crutch to be used till more is learned. That's
> really their remaining role.

Most certainly. But if we are to use forces then I think we need a
discussion of what they really mean along the lines of what Feynman did in
the lectures. In fact I consider that to be compulsory reading even for
grade 8 students (at least the chapters they have the mathematics to
understand - other chapters can be added as their mathematical knowledge
grows). Having understood what Feynman wrote I think a lot of confusion can
be avoided. In my case I always wondered why a definition could be a law.
It confused me for many years until I read a rather nifty old book on
classical mechanics. It clearly explained the real import of Newton's Laws
was in his third law. That was the start of actually understanding what was
happening. The full resolution came with Landua - Mechanics. I think it
would be great if students did not need to go through this process and were
taught what was happening right form the start - at least as much of it as
they can initially handle.

Thanks
Bill

From: Bill Hobba on

McCullough) writes:
> >mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu says...
> >
> >>There is ***nothing*** wrong with centrifugal force. The term
> >>"fictitious" is misleading. True, it doesn't stem from interaction,
> >>just from choice of reference frame. So? It is quite often convenient
> >>to deal with a problem in an accelerated frame, rather than transform
> >>to an inertial frame and back. And when you want to deal with a
> >>problem in the accelerated frame and still use Newton's laws, you
> >>include inertial forces (i much prefer the term "inertial" than the
> >>misleading "fictitious").
> >
> >I don't think that there is anything wrong with using noninertial
> >coordinates, but I think what is misleading is to call the correction
> >terms "forces".
>
> Only if you attach more meaning to the term "force" than it deserves.

Ahhhhhh. Yes. As Feynman says it is half a law. It gains its full meaning
when combined with other laws and/or concepts such as Coulombs law or the
introduction of non inertial reference frames.

Thanks
Bill

From: mmeron on
In article <Rj12e.16030$C7.2138(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Bill Hobba" <bhobba(a)rubbish.net.au> writes:

><mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu> wrote in message
>> In article <hT%1e.15978$C7.12491(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Bill Hobba"
><bhobba(a)rubbish.net.au> writes:
>> >
>> ><mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

>carousel

>circular

>stationary

>It
>who's

>TomGee
>with

>> >Which is just another reason force should be considered as a secondary
>> >concept - the PLA is the primary concept. End of rant.
>> >
>> Oh, the PLA most certainly is ***the*** primary concept. So primary,
>> in fact, that it serves as foundation not only for Newtonian mechanics
>> but (with appropriate generalizations) for most of physics. No
>> argument about it.
>>
>> This said, the fact remains that, for applying the PLA, a level of
>> mathematical knowledge and sofistication is required which is way
>> beyond the capabilities of a beginning (high school) physics student
>> and, in fact, way beyond this that most people ever reach. So, we
>> maintain forces as a crutch to be used till more is learned. That's
>> really their remaining role.
>
>Most certainly. But if we are to use forces then I think we need a
>discussion of what they really mean along the lines of what Feynman did in
>the lectures. In fact I consider that to be compulsory reading even for
>grade 8 students (at least the chapters they have the mathematics to
>understand - other chapters can be added as their mathematical knowledge
>grows). Having understood what Feynman wrote I think a lot of confusion can
>be avoided. In my case I always wondered why a definition could be a law.
>It confused me for many years until I read a rather nifty old book on
>classical mechanics. It clearly explained the real import of Newton's Laws
>was in his third law. That was the start of actually understanding what was
>happening. The full resolution came with Landua - Mechanics. I think it
>would be great if students did not need to go through this process and were
>taught what was happening right form the start - at least as much of it as
>they can initially handle.

Well, here is the rub, how much they can initially handle. For most
of them the answer is "not too much". Keep in mind that education is,
by and large, a processes involving quite average students being
taught by quite average teachers. I've no doubt that if you'll pick
the cream of the crop of high school students, top 1-2%, and hand them
to a teacher of Feynman's caliber, you'll see some truly amazing
results. Unfortunately, you cannot use this as a general purpose
model:-(

That said, there is certainly room to analyze the way things are being
taught. The natural tendency is to teach things in the historic order
in which they were developed (an educational equivalent of "ontogeny
recapitulates philogeny"). That may not necessarily be the best
course of action.

From: mmeron on
In article <Mo12e.16031$C7.902(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Bill Hobba" <bhobba(a)rubbish.net.au> writes:

><mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu> wrote in message
>> >coordinates, but I think what is misleading is to call the correction
>> >terms "forces".
>>
>> Only if you attach more meaning to the term "force" than it deserves.
>
>Ahhhhhh. Yes. As Feynman says it is half a law. It gains its full meaning
>when combined with other laws and/or concepts such as Coulombs law or the
>introduction of non inertial reference frames.

Yes, it is a rather complex issue. I wrote some stuff about it in the
past, here, but I never kept a copy. But it certtainly needs some
sort of broad framework, to make sense.