From: PD on

Nick wrote:
> What is the velocity of an electron in a shell?
> Can they move at different speeds and remain in the
> same shell?
>
> More imporatant is what sustains them in their perpetual motions?

A force is not required to keep something in motion. A force is
required to *change* an object's motion. What gave you the idea that
something moving required something to maintain that motion?

PD

From: PD on

TomGee wrote:
> Nick and Mitch, I find it incredible that these posters, all the way
> down to "Ghost", cannot remember that the negatively charged
electrons
> in an atom are attracted to the positively charged protons in the
> atom's nucleus and that it is this force of attraction which binds
> the electrons to the atom.
>
> TomGee

Electrostatic attraction between the proton and the electron is no more
responsible for the sustained motion of the electron than gravity is
responsible for the sustained motion of the Moon.

Please refer to Newton's first and second laws, which point out that,
even classically, no force is required for an object to persist in its
motion. A (net) force results in a *change* in motion. If I throw a
baseball toward home plate, after the ball leaves my hand what force
maintains the horizontal velocity of the ball?
Common (high school) student errors:
1. The ball *does* eventually stop horizontally, and then it falls
vertically.
2. Gravity converts the horizontal velocity into vertical velocity.
3. The ball *does* slow down horizontally; otherwise it would never
fall to the ground.

PD

From: TomGee on
PD,

didja ever learn anything in school?

3rd grade Physics: Centrifugal force.

Don't ask me to explain that to you. Go to class and ask your teacher.

TomGee

From: Sam Wormley on
TomGee wrote:
> 3rd grade Physics: Centrifugal force.
>
> Don't ask me to explain that to you. Go to class and ask your teacher.
>
> TomGee

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force because it is a by-product of measuring...
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/CentrifugalForce.html

From: PD on

TomGee wrote:
> PD,
>
> didja ever learn anything in school?
>
> 3rd grade Physics: Centrifugal force.
>
> Don't ask me to explain that to you. Go to class and ask your
teacher.

> TomGee

Tom, you can either keep babbling nonsense or you can start asking
honest questions.

A few things:
1. The force *inward* in central motion is called centripetal force,
not centrifugal force. The electrostatic attraction between electron
and proton is an example of a centripetal force.
2. There is no such thing as centrifugal force, strictly speaking. It
is a misleading term for a "false force" that has no true agent to
provide it. If this comes as a shock to you, perhaps it's because
you're relying on the physics you learned in the 3rd grade.
3. In circular motion, you'll note that the velocity is tangent to the
circular trajectory, perpendicular to the radius of the circle. Both
the true, centripetal force and the false, centrifugal "force" are
along the radius of the circle, perpendicular to the velocity. There is
no way that a force that is perpendicular to the velocity can change
the magnitude of the velocity, nor does it help in any way to maintain
the velocity.
4. Newton's 1st law should also have been taught to you in 3rd grade
physics, and you should be reminded that, even in the absence of
forces, objects in motion tend to stay in motion.

Now, if you find any of this to be intuitively wrong, then your problem
is not with special relativity, it's with 3rd grade physics. If you
would like corroboration that any of the above is true or false, then
simply itemize the thing you think is wrong and ask the newsgroup.

PD