From: Jerry Peters on
Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote:
> Jerry Peters wrote:
>
>> Smart people? You certainly wouldn't know it looking at Windows.
>>
>> Sorry, but appeals to authority will only get you so far. Evidence
>> would be a lot better.
>>
>> Jerry
>
> Unfounded trolling will get you no where with me.
>
> *plonk*

Smart people make poor decisions all the time, look at Bill Clinton,
or Tiger Woods, or even more apropos, Windows Vista.
Your very smart people at MS *really* blew it with Vista.
From: Jerry Peters on
Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid> wrote:
> Bob Willard wrote:
>
>> I can imagine nasty combinations of workloads and platforms that would
>> make defragging helpful, but they must be really rare now.
>>
>> In a former life (~15 years ago), doing backup from HD=>tape, it was
>> obvious that defragging before starting a backup kept the tape mostly
>> streaming, while skipping the defrag step led to a lot of shoe-shining.
>> That system was a 486/33 with 4MB of RAM, running Win 3.1, with a
>> 3600 RPM non-DMA FAT16 HD, and a QIC (definitely not quick) tape
>> connected over a shared parallel port; and, the (Colorado) backup
>> software was very primitive.
>>
>> In that era, I used to say that any mag.tape had only two speeds:
>> "It streams or it sucks".
>>
>> Over the past dozen or so years, I've never been able to notice any
>> performance gain due to defragging, which is why I always recommend
>> using a defragger which is free: either none, or whatever is bundled
>> with the OS.
>
> Just because your eyes don't visually detect the difference does not
> mean there is no difference. Can you visually tell the dif between a
> 2.4ghz cpu and a 2.6ghz cpu? No!

And for most people's workloads would there be enough of a difference
to actually make a difference? If I can't tell there's a difference it
doesn't matter for any practical purposes.
From: Bilky White on
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Why did you bring up age?

Because you come across like a big kid that sulks and shouts when it doesn't
get its own way?

From: Rod Speed on
Cronos wrote:
> Jerry Peters wrote:
>
>> Smart people make poor decisions all the time, look at Bill Clinton,
>> or Tiger Woods, or even more apropos, Windows Vista.
>> Your very smart people at MS *really* blew it with Vista.
>
> People who feel the need to brag that they are smarter than others are
> dumb fucks with an inferiority complex.

So what are fools that lie about their killfiles ?

From: Rod Speed on
Cronos wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:

>> Doesnt happen with defragging, because the absolute vast bulk of
>> linear access to very large files is with media files where it takes
>> EXACTLY the same time to play the file whether its fragmented or not.

> Not to open or move the file though.

Yes, to open a file too. And a move which just changes the directory entry too.

> That's were defrag comes into play

Like hell it is.