From: Jose on
On May 22, 10:32 am, "James Silverton" <not.jim.silver...(a)verizon.net>
wrote:
>  Jose  wrote  on Sat, 22 May 2010 06:21:00 -0700 (PDT):
>

> > On May 22, 9:13 am, "James Silverton"
> > <not.jim.silver...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Hello All!
>
> >> A pop-up just appeared from
> >> media.fastclick.net/w/pc.cgi?mid=420125&sid=53967
> >> (I have dropped the initial "http://"  in an attempt to avoid
> >> accidental connection.)
>
> >> This urged me to update to Internet Explorer 8, something I
> >> did long ago. Is this some new sort of malware or other scam?
>
> >> --
>
> >> James Silverton
> >> Potomac, Maryland
>
> >> Email, with obvious alterations:
> >> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
> > Do this and find out:
> > Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any
> > remaining issues:
> > Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free
> > malware detection programs:
> > Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
> > SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> Thanks,
>
> I have the MacAfee Security Suite and  do a full scan weekly and
> tonight's the night anyway.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I see... well in that case you probably also have poor system
performance issues to go along with your mysterious message, which is
suspicious because is says:

Now available!
Internet Explore

They say the have an optimized IE for Yahoo! in another place it is
optimized for Bing and in another optimized for MSN. These Microsoft
people have an answer for everything!

McAfee doesn't know everything, neither does Norton, Avast, Avira,
AVG, Spybot, MBAM or SAS, etc.

Putting all your malicious software scanning eggs into one basket is
short sighted in today's world.

While you at it, get a decent popup blocker (free) and you won't see
such things.
From: Db on
it might be an indication
that the browser is hijacked.

though it urges you to
update the browser,

it may be trying to hijack
your browser to a site
spoofed as microsoft
then lead you to install
an infected browser.

perhaps, I am wrong.

however, you might try
running a program called
hijackthis.

it will provide a listing
of processes that occur
after a program is started,
most being legit.

but see if you find a line
that is similar to the link
you noted.

if it appears on the listing,
then you can check it off
and select fix to remove
that hijacker.

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

From: Peter Foldes on
Jarness

You have one of the worst Security suite (MacAfee Security Suite) which along with
Norton and Trend cause problems and does not catch what is needed. Use the ones Jose
posted. They are 2 of the very best

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: James Silverton on
Peter wrote on Sun, 23 May 2010 00:47:21 -0400:

> You have one of the worst Security suite (MacAfee Security
> Suite) which along with Norton and Trend cause problems and
> does not catch what is needed. Use the ones Jose posted. They are 2 of
> the very best

Thanks for the advice! Why do people dislike commercial Security Suites?
I know Consumer Reports was not too fond of MacAfee but it caught and
removed the virus last night.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

From: Leythos on
In article <htb65c$iib$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
not.jim.silverton(a)verizon.net says...

> Peter wrote on Sun, 23 May 2010 00:47:21 -0400:
>
> > You have one of the worst Security suite (MacAfee Security
> > Suite) which along with Norton and Trend cause problems and
> > does not catch what is needed. Use the ones Jose posted. They are 2 of
> > the very best
>
> Thanks for the advice! Why do people dislike commercial Security Suites?
> I know Consumer Reports was not too fond of MacAfee but it caught and
> removed the virus last night.

It's not "commercial" that people don't like, it's ones that are crappy
that people don't like.

Trust yourself.