From: James Silverton on
Leythos wrote on Sun, 23 May 2010 08:37:43 -0400:

> In article <htb65c$iib$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> not.jim.silverton(a)verizon.net says...
>>
>> Peter wrote on Sun, 23 May 2010 00:47:21 -0400:
>>
> >> You have one of the worst Security suite (MacAfee Security
> >> Suite) which along with Norton and Trend cause problems and
> >> does not catch what is needed. Use the ones Jose posted.
> >> They are 2 of the very best
>>
>> Thanks for the advice! Why do people dislike commercial
>> Security Suites? I know Consumer Reports was not too fond of
>> MacAfee but it caught and removed the virus last night.

> It's not "commercial" that people don't like, it's ones that
> are crappy that people don't like.

MacAfee posts updates at least daily. How often are the free checkers
updated?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

From: Jose on
On May 23, 8:13 am, "James Silverton" <not.jim.silver...(a)verizon.net>
wrote:
>  Peter  wrote  on Sun, 23 May 2010 00:47:21 -0400:
>
> > You have one of the worst Security suite (MacAfee Security
> > Suite) which along with Norton and Trend cause problems and
> > does not catch what is needed. Use the ones Jose posted. They are 2 of
> > the very best
>
> Thanks for the advice! Why do people dislike commercial Security Suites?
> I know Consumer Reports was not too fond of MacAfee but it caught and
> removed the virus last night.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

It will also do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2025695

From: Bob Lucas on

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton(a)verizon.net> wrote in
message news:htbbag$7bo$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> Leythos wrote on Sun, 23 May 2010 08:37:43 -0400:
>
>> In article <htb65c$iib$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>> not.jim.silverton(a)verizon.net says...

>>> Thanks for the advice! Why do people dislike commercial
>>> Security Suites? I know Consumer Reports was not too fond of
>>> MacAfee but it caught and removed the virus last night.
>
>> It's not "commercial" that people don't like, it's ones that
>> are crappy that people don't like.
>
> MacAfee posts updates at least daily. How often are the free
> checkers updated?
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Win XP Professional SP3, with IE8.
Intel T2300 dual core processor, running at 1.66GHz
1Gb of RAM

I previously used a McAfee security suite. However, McAfee had
become so bloated that even though both of my computers have dual
core processors and sufficient RAM, my computers became very
sluggish.

Several years ago, I switched to Avast! free anti-virus - plus
the Zone Alarm free firewall. I have also installed Spybot
Search & Destroy and Windows Defender. The primary reason for
the change was to enhance performance - and I have noticed a
significant improvement in responsiveness.

I receive automatic updates from Avast!, usually several times
per day. Avast! has prevented several infections (from
legitimate websites). I have no way of knowing whether McAfee
would have prevented the same infections. I also scan my
computers regularly with Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware.

Although I have no proof that Avast! provides superior
protection, I am perfectly happy with the way it performs. I am
also happy with the frequency of the automatic definition
updates.

From: Jose on
On May 23, 10:28 am, "Bob Lucas" <b...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silver...(a)verizon.net> wrote in
> messagenews:htbbag$7bo$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>

> > Leythos  wrote  on Sun, 23 May 2010 08:37:43 -0400:
>
> >> In article <htb65c$ii...(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> >> not.jim.silver...(a)verizon.net says...

> >> It's not "commercial" that people don't like, it's ones that
> >> are crappy that people don't like.
>
> > MacAfee posts updates at least daily. How often are the free
> > checkers updated?
>
> > --
>
> > James Silverton
> > Potomac, Maryland
>
> > Email, with obvious alterations:
> > not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
>
> Win XP Professional SP3, with IE8.
> Intel T2300 dual core processor, running at 1.66GHz
> 1Gb of RAM
>
> I previously used a McAfee security suite.  However, McAfee had
> become so bloated that even though both of my computers have dual
> core processors and sufficient RAM, my computers became very
> sluggish.
>
> Several years ago, I switched to Avast! free anti-virus - plus
> the Zone Alarm free firewall.  I have also installed Spybot
> Search & Destroy and Windows Defender.  The primary reason for
> the change was to enhance performance - and I have noticed a
> significant improvement in responsiveness.
>
> I receive automatic updates from Avast!, usually several times
> per day.  Avast! has prevented several infections (from
> legitimate websites).  I have no way of knowing whether McAfee
> would have prevented the same infections.  I also scan my
> computers regularly with Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware.
>
> Although I have no proof that Avast! provides superior
> protection, I am perfectly happy with the way it performs.  I am
> also happy with the frequency of the automatic definition
> updates.

I like to get my computer infected on purpose so I can learn how to
recognize and remove the infections without trial and error
techniques.

If I help somebody that is infected and it is not something I am
familiar with, I will find out how they got that way and inflict it
upon myself repeatedly until I can recognize, understand and fix it.
So far, I have never used a Restore Point, repaired or reinstalled XP,
slaved a drive or used any kind of PE CD (don't even own one).

Since you mention that Avast! has prevented several infections from
legitimate websites, I would like to know where those legitimate
websites are so I can get infected from them on purpose and further
test my methods. I don't use Avast!, so it should be easy I hope.

Will you please advise of legitimate websites that will infect my
computer.
From: Leythos on
In article <327a7da4-d289-4f16-9cff-2e6d9256ab53
@a16g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>, jose_ease(a)yahoo.com says...
> Will you please advise of legitimate websites that will infect my
> computer.

do a google image search for the new MISS USA images, click on the sites
and sooner or later you will find one that has malware on it.

Trust yourself.