From: Dudley Hanks on

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> LOL! wrote:
>>
>> At large apertures where those deeper DOF's are available
>
> Eh?
>
>> and at ISO 400 or less in many P&S cameras there is
>> no image noise.
>

> Eh?

He'd actually have to use one to know anything about the subject; his
answer isn't surprising...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Paul Furman on
Dudley Hanks wrote:
> Haven't been following this thread since the beginning, so this might
> already have been mentioned...
>
> Given that in-lense stabilization has been around for a while and seems to
> work quite well, I'm wondering if we might see in-lens perspective
> correction in the future. Or, maybe it's already in use but I haven't come
> across it...
>
> It seems that the ability to do tilt-and-shift could be tied in with the
> lens stabilization mechanism (considerably beefed up, of course), and the
> lens could compensate (within certain limited parameters) to provide a nice
> straight image...

That would work but it would be impractical (expensive) to make a wide
angle lens with a large enough image circle and would take a lot
stronger gyro/motors to move it that far.. although, hmm, it would be
the very same motion, just a lot more travel.

It would be interesting to see that idea implemented in a video with a
tilt (pan up or down) that kept the verticals vertical using a
stabilized shift lens. It might look more like panning across a still
shot though I'll bet it's been done, cinematographers can be very clever
and sophisticated and have the budget.
From: LOL! on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 05:56:34 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
<dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:

>I figured out how to do it ...

Yes, we see that. By everyone telling you that the exposure is wrong in
every one of your shots. If not the exposure then the focus. If not the
focus then the composition. If not the composition, then a combination of
any of them.

Yes, you SURE figured out how to do it alright!

LOL!

Do everyone a favor, take up Braille or something. Something you might
actually be capable of comprehending now.

From: Paul Furman on
Paul Furman wrote:
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> Haven't been following this thread since the beginning, so this might
>> already have been mentioned...
>>
>> Given that in-lense stabilization has been around for a while and
>> seems to
>> work quite well, I'm wondering if we might see in-lens perspective
>> correction in the future. Or, maybe it's already in use but I haven't
>> come
>> across it...
>>
>> It seems that the ability to do tilt-and-shift could be tied in with the
>> lens stabilization mechanism (considerably beefed up, of course), and the
>> lens could compensate (within certain limited parameters) to provide a
>> nice
>> straight image...
>
> That would work but it would be impractical (expensive) to make a wide
> angle lens with a large enough image circle and would take a lot
> stronger gyro/motors to move it that far.. although, hmm, it would be
> the very same motion, just a lot more travel.
>
> It would be interesting to see that idea implemented in a video with a
> tilt (pan up or down) that kept the verticals vertical using a
> stabilized shift lens. It might look more like panning across a still
> shot though I'll bet it's been done, cinematographers can be very clever
> and sophisticated and have the budget.

A budget solution that might work for you is a steadycam type thing
which would simply be a weight hanging from the camera on rigid rods...
kind of wide, so it hangs down firmly establishing level. If the weight
is long and horizontal, you should be able to feel when the 'roll' is
off kilter. You could choose to tilt up or down and feel the weight to
know how much tilt it'll look like.

The more I think about shift though; the perspective correction shift
lens wouldn't work with gyros or weights. It would be like panning up a
flat poster but you don't tilt up, you fly over it like aerial
photography. So, the lens would be on a tripod and you lift the camera
across the scene.

For a camera without a big steadycam counterweight, you'd need a
powerful gyro to keep the lens from tilting and a dial for raising &
lowering the camera with the lens fixed. And it would be
counterintuitive movements, I think, if even possible without a tripod.
Interesting idea though.
From: Allen on
Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>> LOL! wrote:
>>> At large apertures where those deeper DOF's are available
>> Eh?
>>
>>> and at ISO 400 or less in many P&S cameras there is
>>> no image noise.
>>
>> Eh?
>
> He'd actually have to use one to know anything about the subject; his
> answer isn't surprising...
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Hang in there, Dudley. I would be proud to know you. Some of these
people probably don't believe that Beethoven was deaf--that is, if they
ever heard of him.
Allen