From: Dudley Hanks on

"LOL!" <lol(a)lol.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:35:30 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
> <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>

>>You're batting about .000
>
> You have that backward (like that's any surprise). You forget, we've seen
> your random crapshots that prove you 100% wrong about everything you just
> typed.
>
> But you go ahead, keep deluding yourself into thinking you're the next Da
> Vinci.
>
> "Film at 11: A blind person was found on the internet desperately trying
> use a camera and claims he's as talented as Da Vinci or Beethoven. Every
> last one of his photos being blurry, badly exposed, tilted, or subjects
> with missing body parts cropped-out because he can't even aim his fully
> automatic camera properly at easy to detect subjects, only proves he's as
> nutty as a fruitcake. Social services has been contacted to see about
> getting him the mental-health treatment he requires."
>

> LOL!

Once again, LOL, your own words indict your own logic ...

I refute what you write; you snip out the truth; and you resort to name
calling...

It's easy to understand why you can't sign your work...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Peter on
> On 2010-06-13 09:53:36 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

>>> That would work but it would be impractical (expensive) to make a wide
>>> angle lens with a large enough image circle and would take a lot
>>> stronger gyro/motors to move it that far.. although, hmm, it would be
>>> the very same motion, just a lot more travel.
>>>
>>> It would be interesting to see that idea implemented in a video with a
>>> tilt (pan up or down) that kept the verticals vertical using a
>>> stabilized shift lens. It might look more like panning across a still
>>> shot though I'll bet it's been done, cinematographers can be very clever
>>> and sophisticated and have the budget.
>>

>> That type of gyro already exists. They are very heavy, but work. They
>> were originally designed to stabilize optical observation from
>> helicopters and tanks. Later they were adapted for use with video
>> cameras. The only major improvement since I last tried one in 1977, is
>> much lighter batteries. They are not really suitable for everyday
>> photography.
>
> I thinke the Kenyon Labs stabilizers are what you are talking about.
> http://www.ken-lab.com/index.html

Yup!
I was actually paid to test the product.

--
Peter

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-30 05:37:49 +0100, krishnananda said:

> <>
> The Indian Raga system is based on the same seven notes as the "Western"
> scale. It is referred to as the "Sargam" which is an abbreviation of the
> Hindi names of the first four notes, Sa Re Ga Ma. In the basic scale
> these are identical to C D E F. Because all the worlds instruments are
> based on the physics of either a vibrating string or a column or air all
> primary note are harmonics of that vibration frequency.
>
> The Raga [scale] Bilawal is identical to C major. The 12 primary Ragas
> are played with sharp and flat notes, all half-tones, to differentiate
> the scales. Exactly the same as the "Circle of Fifths".
>
> One major difference is that while the modern Western scales consist
> only of whole and half notes, Hindustani and Carnatic music recognized
> as many as 144 microtones between two adjacent notes. These microtones
> are played on fretted instruments like the Sitar by bending the string
> ("Meend") not unlike the way guitar and harmonica players bend notes up
> or down to the next half tone. In fretless instruments like the Sarod
> the microtones are played by sliding the left hand finger up or down the
> fingerboard.
>
> The Harmonium, a small reed organ, is extremely widely used in Indian
> music. Usually 2.5 octaves in length it has the same white and black
> keys as a piano with exactly the same intervals between keys as the
> "Western" original.
>
> Another difference is that in Western music the "A" note is pegged at
> 440 Hz. In India sometimes instruments are tuned with A at 420 Hz or 400
> Hz. Sometimes that renders the Bilawal scale as being in C# maj, but
> otherwise the intervals are exactly the same.
>
> It is worth noting that the Raga system was developed in the 14th
> Century, completely uninfluenced by "Western" music which at the time
> was under a significant amount of development. It is because of physics
> that the string/wind harmonics used in India are the same as those used
> in China (based on a pentatonic scale, like Scottish music), Europe, and
> wherever else uses vibrating strings or air columns.
>
> Not based on scales? From the Indian point of view "Western" music is
> rather simplistic because of its rigid adherence to the semitone as the
> smallest musical unit.
>
> Not entire sure what this has to do with photography...

I found it most interesting, thanks.

--
Pete

From: David Ruether on

"Pete" <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-30 05:37:49 +0100, krishnananda said:

[...]
> I found it most interesting, thanks. --
> Pete

But wait, there may be much more, and more accurate material to come! ;-)
(Assuming I get permission from the author to place it here...;-)
--DR

From: David Ruether on

"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Pete" <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 2010-06-30 05:37:49 +0100, krishnananda said:

> [...]
>> I found it most interesting, thanks. --
>> Pete

> But wait, there may be much more, and more accurate material to come! ;-)
> (Assuming I get permission from the author to place it here...;-)
> --DR

And here it is...

[I sent the following to a musicologist friend, and here are his

> Hi--
>
> I found this in a *photo* newsgroup(!)!

> In article <4C2AB60B.A196A26F(a)concentric.net>,
> John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote:
>> 2 More Cents for the Carnival Freak-Show wrote:

>> <heavily edited for brevity>
>>
>> > Notes can also be selected by mathematical reasoning. Music has
>> > mathematical logic as the foundation.

>> <edited>
>>
>> Although, you're essentially correct, some clarification is
>> necessary.
>>
>> You see, in the West (unlike the Orient), the "musical scale" is used. That's why Western music is so very different, from its
>> Eastern counterpart.

> Ah, no.

No. The Orient also uses scales and modes (see my website -- whoops,
I guess I'll have to reconstruct that page, because it seems to have
disappeared).

> The Indian Raga system is based on the same seven notes as the "Western" scale. It is referred to as the "Sargam" which is an
> abbreviation of the Hindi names of the first four notes, Sa Re Ga Ma. In the basic scale these are identical to C D E F. Because
> all the worlds instruments are based on the physics of either a vibrating string or a column or air all primary note are harmonics
> of that vibration frequency.

While seven-note ragas are common, there are many other ragas that
have more than seven notes and some that have less.

> The Raga [scale] Bilawal is identical to C major. The 12 primary Ragas are played with sharp and flat notes, all half-tones, to
> differentiate the scales. Exactly the same as the "Circle of Fifths".

I believe it's "Bilaval", although this may be a trivial distinction,
since it's a phonetic spelling anyway.

> One major difference is that while the modern Western scales consist only of whole and half notes,

This is a misconstruction, it is probably meant to read "wholetones
and semitones". Whole and half notes are time values, not intervals.

> Hindustani and Carnatic music recognized as many as 144 microtones between two adjacent notes. These microtones are played on
> fretted instruments like the Sitar by bending the string ("Meend") not unlike the way guitar and harmonica players bend notes up
> or down to the next half tone. In fretless instruments like the Sarod the microtones are played by sliding the left hand finger up
> or down the fingerboard.

Agreed, but only somewhat. Since microtones can and oftentimes ARE
played (sometimes accidentally and sometimes purposefully) on most
Western instruments (except for fixed-note keyboard instruments
[and even there, with accidentally or intentionally mistuning of
the instrument, as with the Ives quarter-tone piano pieces]), this
distinction is only theoretical. So-called "blue-notes" are microtonal.

> The Harmonium, a small reed organ, is extremely widely used in Indian music. Usually 2.5 octaves in length it has the same white
> and black keys as a piano with exactly the same intervals between keys as the "Western" original.
>
> Another difference is that in Western music the "A" note is pegged at 440 Hz. In India sometimes instruments are tuned with A at
> 420 Hz or 400 Hz. Sometimes that renders the Bilawal scale as being in C# maj, but otherwise the intervals are exactly the same.

Agreed, somewhat, but A-440 isn't completely universal in Western music
either. [And this standard has changed over time.]

> It is worth noting that the Raga system was developed in the 14th Century, completely uninfluenced by "Western" music which at the
> time was under a significant amount of development. It is because of physics that the string/wind harmonics used in India are the
> same as those used in China (based on a pentatonic scale, like Scottish music), Europe, and wherever else uses vibrating strings
> or air columns.

Difficult to be certain about this, since we are discovering that
influences back and forth between East and West were much more common
than previously thought.

> Not based on scales? From the Indian point of view "Western" music is rather simplistic because of its rigid adherence to the
> semitone as the smallest musical unit.

While some traditional Western Music may be melodically simpler (not
"simplistic", which is pejorative) than some Indian music (actually most
is not so), Indian music is almost entirely monophonic (one note at a
time), discounting the pedals and nonpitched percussion, making it much,
much simpler in construction than polyphonic music, like in Mahler's
symphonies or in Bach. Microtones do occur in some types of Western
music, so this statement is false as well for that reason.

> Not entire sure what this has to do with photography...
>
> --krishnananda

The harmonic series, which is the basis of all music, as far as I know,
has no real counterpart in light, because light frequencies are so high
that the "harmonics" would be invisible.

Since we are witnessing the globalization of culture, the distinctions
between East and West (musical or otherwise) are fast disappearing.
Modern music in any culture now emulates the Western models, especially
American pop. Unless you confine your listening to "museum music" (music
that is rigidly frozen in the past), new postmodern styles have developed
throughout the world that homogenize traits from several once distinct
cultures. These new hybrid musics are still developing, and are therefore
very vital and exciting to hear. I experienced this live in the recent
performance done by the Kronos Quartet in SF. I believe this is the new
"New Music". (:^O) --> (Yeah!)

> 8^)
> --DR

--DR, for "LS"