From: Dudley Hanks on

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Paul Furman wrote:
>> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>> Haven't been following this thread since the beginning, so this might
>>> already have been mentioned...
>>>
>>> Given that in-lense stabilization has been around for a while and
>>> seems to
>>> work quite well, I'm wondering if we might see in-lens perspective
>>> correction in the future. Or, maybe it's already in use but I haven't
>>> come
>>> across it...
>>>
>>> It seems that the ability to do tilt-and-shift could be tied in with the
>>> lens stabilization mechanism (considerably beefed up, of course), and
>>> the
>>> lens could compensate (within certain limited parameters) to provide a
>>> nice
>>> straight image...
>>
>> That would work but it would be impractical (expensive) to make a wide
>> angle lens with a large enough image circle and would take a lot
>> stronger gyro/motors to move it that far.. although, hmm, it would be
>> the very same motion, just a lot more travel.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see that idea implemented in a video with a
>> tilt (pan up or down) that kept the verticals vertical using a
>> stabilized shift lens. It might look more like panning across a still
>> shot though I'll bet it's been done, cinematographers can be very clever
>> and sophisticated and have the budget.
>
> A budget solution that might work for you is a steadycam type thing which
> would simply be a weight hanging from the camera on rigid rods... kind of
> wide, so it hangs down firmly establishing level. If the weight is long
> and horizontal, you should be able to feel when the 'roll' is off kilter.
> You could choose to tilt up or down and feel the weight to know how much
> tilt it'll look like.
>
> The more I think about shift though; the perspective correction shift lens
> wouldn't work with gyros or weights. It would be like panning up a flat
> poster but you don't tilt up, you fly over it like aerial photography. So,
> the lens would be on a tripod and you lift the camera across the scene.
>
> For a camera without a big steadycam counterweight, you'd need a powerful
> gyro to keep the lens from tilting and a dial for raising & lowering the
> camera with the lens fixed. And it would be counterintuitive movements, I
> think, if even possible without a tripod. Interesting idea though.

It's not something I'm ready to tackle just yet ... But, it's something
I've been thinking about ever since we took that hike near GDB ...

As you were shooting some of the smaller plants, I was thinking that, sooner
or later, I'd like to figure out a way to make a tilt / shift lens work for
me. But, I wouldn't be able to set it myself. Some sort of mechanism will
be needed.

I think I've more or less reached a workable procedure for setting
exposures, and my focusing is more often than not pretty close to what I
want, so I'll be setting that as a goal soon...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 01:57:09 -0500, Allen wrote:

> Hang in there, Dudley. I would be proud to know you. Some of these
> people probably don't believe that Beethoven was deaf--that is, if they
> ever heard of him.

Ofcourse we have. It's the famous dog from the movies.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Paul Furman on
Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "Paul Furman"<paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>> Paul Furman wrote:

>>> That would work but it would be impractical (expensive) to make a wide
>>> angle lens with a large enough image circle and would take a lot
>>> stronger gyro/motors to move it that far.. although, hmm, it would be
>>> the very same motion, just a lot more travel.
>>>
>>> It would be interesting to see that idea implemented in a video with a
>>> tilt (pan up or down) that kept the verticals vertical using a
>>> stabilized shift lens. It might look more like panning across a still
>>> shot though I'll bet it's been done, cinematographers can be very clever
>>> and sophisticated and have the budget.
>>
>> A budget solution that might work for you is a steadycam type thing which
>> would simply be a weight hanging from the camera on rigid rods... kind of
>> wide, so it hangs down firmly establishing level. If the weight is long
>> and horizontal, you should be able to feel when the 'roll' is off kilter.
>> You could choose to tilt up or down and feel the weight to know how much
>> tilt it'll look like.
>>
>> The more I think about shift though; the perspective correction shift lens
>> wouldn't work with gyros or weights. It would be like panning up a flat
>> poster but you don't tilt up, you fly over it like aerial photography. So,
>> the lens would be on a tripod and you lift the camera across the scene.
>>
>> For a camera without a big steadycam counterweight, you'd need a powerful
>> gyro to keep the lens from tilting and a dial for raising& lowering the
>> camera with the lens fixed. And it would be counterintuitive movements, I
>> think, if even possible without a tripod. Interesting idea though.
>
> It's not something I'm ready to tackle just yet ... But, it's something
> I've been thinking about ever since we took that hike near GDB ...
>
> As you were shooting some of the smaller plants, I was thinking that, sooner
> or later, I'd like to figure out a way to make a tilt / shift lens work for
> me. But, I wouldn't be able to set it myself. Some sort of mechanism will
> be needed.
>
> I think I've more or less reached a workable procedure for setting
> exposures, and my focusing is more often than not pretty close to what I
> want, so I'll be setting that as a goal soon...

I think the steadycam idea would work. A horizontal bar hanging from 2
rigid bars screwed into the tripod mount. They could splay out from the
mount in a triangle, I'd think. Or two weights at the lower corners of
the triangle and a folding horizontal cross-bar.
From: Robert Coe on
:
: > Hang in there, Dudley. I would be proud to know you. Some of these
: > people probably don't believe that Beethoven was deaf--that is, if they
: > ever heard of him.
:
: Ofcourse we have. It's the famous dog from the movies.

It's probably a suburb of Amsterdam.

Bob
From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 23:09:40 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover(a)somewhere.org> wrote:
: On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 03:30:46 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
: <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
:
: >Haven't been following this thread since the beginning, so this might
: >already have been mentioned...
: >
: >Given that in-lense stabilization has been around for a while and seems to
: >work quite well, I'm wondering if we might see in-lens perspective
: >correction in the future. Or, maybe it's already in use but I haven't come
: >across it...
: >
: >It seems that the ability to do tilt-and-shift could be tied in with the
: >lens stabilization mechanism (considerably beefed up, of course), and the
: >lens could compensate (within certain limited parameters) to provide a nice
: >straight image...
: >
: >Take Care,
: >Dudley
: >
:
: What's the matter Dudley? Aren't your cameras automatic enough yet? Maybe
: you'd like to see one with robotic tripod legs and a built-in composition
: mode too where it only automatically trips the trigger when it detects a
: preset definition of a pleasing composition. Then you can just crank it up
: at the beginning of the day and send it outside, coming back at the end of
: the day with better images than anything you can produce now. Then your
: only claim for having any part in the photography process is owning the
: camera. Oh wait. That's the only claim that you can make now. Nevermind.
:
: p.s. For the record, when I asked locals what unusual odd green colored
: wading birds were (Green Herons in breeding plumage, which I never saw that
: brightly colored before) they told me they called them "Steak Birds",
: because they taste just like steak.
:
: Ooops, I PS'ed to the wrong post.

It doesn't matter. When all you have to present is gibberish, you can lay it
out in any order.

Bob