From: Brian Inglis on
On 10 May 2005 10:05:48 -0500 in comp.arch.arithmetic,
hrubin(a)odds.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) wrote:

>I do not have any documentation, but I do know of one case
>where the threat of a suit got the penalties canceled in
>one case. There was a diabetic boy, who kept a syringe
>containing a single injection of glucagon in his desk. He
>showed it to his friends, and told them how to use it and
>when.
>
>One time in physical education, the teacher insisted the
>boy continue when he said he felt low and needed to test.
>When he fainted, and the teacher ignored it, one of his
>friends rushed to his desk, took the syringe, went back
>to the gym and gave him the injection. The school wanted
>to expel the intelligent friend for violating ZT. When
>the parents of the diabetic pointed out what they could
>do to the school in court if they did it, the expulsion
>was quickly dropped.

Don't suppose the teacher was fired for irresponsible behaviour?

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: Kevin G. Rhoads on
>I do not have any documentation, but I do know of one case
>where the threat of a suit got the penalties canceled in
>one case. There was a diabetic boy, who kept a syringe
>containing a single injection of glucagon in his desk. He
>showed it to his friends, and told them how to use it and
>when.

Another case, an asthmatic youngster who died because the emergency inhaler
had to be kept in the nurse's office per ZT drug rules. Didn't prevent
the school or the people from a wrongful death lawsuit.

Why do innocents have to die to show these policies are stupid? And
people still don't get it?
From: Sander Vesik on
In comp.arch Kevin G. Rhoads <kgrhoads(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >I do not have any documentation, but I do know of one case
> >where the threat of a suit got the penalties canceled in
> >one case. There was a diabetic boy, who kept a syringe
> >containing a single injection of glucagon in his desk. He
> >showed it to his friends, and told them how to use it and
> >when.
>
> Another case, an asthmatic youngster who died because the emergency inhaler
> had to be kept in the nurse's office per ZT drug rules. Didn't prevent
> the school or the people from a wrongful death lawsuit.
>
> Why do innocents have to die to show these policies are stupid? And
> people still don't get it?

Because you have an inherently flawed legal system. The flaw is not
in the school boards passing stupid and arbitrary regulations but
in their ability to do so and in the very existence of the
boards as they are now.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
From: Derek Lyons on
"Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary(a)msn.com> wrote:

>"Derek Lyons" <fairwater(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> >That's what they accomplished WITH a lot of help from me.
>> >
>> >And most of that was accomplished after we finally got them into specialized
>> >courses the last couple of years of school.
>>
>> Doesn't sound like a problem with the school then.
>
>Consider that you're reading what amount to sound bites focused on specific
>points. The full picture, which wasn't relevant to the discussion at hand here,
>is rather different.

It certainly is relevant - because your sound bites are focused to be
critical of the school system, yet in toto seem to point in a very
different direction.

>The root problems were (1) the generic nature of the education system and (2)
>the overriding drive to keep each group of kids together. The very concept of
>"stay back" and even "do it again" (or anything similar) seems to have been
>deleted from the minds of everyone involved in education. As a result, the
>status reports I got weren't truly reflective of the progress the kids were
>(not) making.

Which brings up the question I originally asked - where were you all
that time?

>By the time I became aware of it, due to a disciplinary issue, it
>was really too late for the oldest one and remedial help only partially
>effective on the middle one. The third one has managed to hit honors a couple
>of times this year, but it's still a "catch up" situation.

It sounds like you didn't actively pay attention to what your kids
were doing, and blame the resultant problems on the school system
rather than shouldering that share of the blame that derives your own
lack of oversight.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
From: Brian Inglis on
fOn Tue, 10 May 2005 16:12:23 +0000 in alt.folklore.computers, "Kevin
G. Rhoads" <kgrhoads(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>>I do not have any documentation, but I do know of one case
>>where the threat of a suit got the penalties canceled in
>>one case. There was a diabetic boy, who kept a syringe
>>containing a single injection of glucagon in his desk. He
>>showed it to his friends, and told them how to use it and
>>when.
>
>Another case, an asthmatic youngster who died because the emergency inhaler
>had to be kept in the nurse's office per ZT drug rules. Didn't prevent
>the school or the people from a wrongful death lawsuit.
>
>Why do innocents have to die to show these policies are stupid? And
>people still don't get it?

We've got two asthmatic kids and after a problem with a teacher not
excusing one to go to the office, read them the riot act, told them
how it would be handled in future, and asked if they needed me to
contact anyone in the board to ensure that would be done. Should
probably have written a letter to the board anyway just to ensure the
problem got logged (obAFC) in case of any future occurrence.