From: Joe Pfeiffer on
K Williams <krw(a)att.bizzzz> writes:

> In article <1b64xw8o32.fsf(a)cs.nmsu.edu>, pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu says...
> > Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> writes:
> >
> > > Crew hostages?
> >
> > What airline do you fly that has large glass bottles?
> >
> Carry-on from the duty free shop?

Good point.
From: Joe Pfeiffer on
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo(a)eircom.net> writes:

> On 06 May 2005 07:47:06 -0600
> Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>
> > And, of course, my son always has a small screwdriver in his clarinet
> > case (a screwdriver which was confiscated as a potential weapon once
> > when the band was getting on an airplane).
>
> They presumably ignored the possibility of the carinet case being
> used as a cosh.

And the clarinet itself. I don't remember whether the percussionists
had to check their sticks through.
From: Terje Mathisen on
Morten Reistad wrote:
> In article <d5dhod01pjg(a)news4.newsguy.com>,
> Norman Yarvin <norman.yarvin(a)snet.net> wrote:
>
>>In article <d5a5rr$tms$1(a)osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>,
>>Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?
>>
>>Me. Bottles are not as easy to break as the movies show; and once broken
>>they're liable to break further, likely shattering in the wielder's hand.
>
> So you wrap something around the nect of the bottle that will protect you.
> thick leather, canvas, linen will do pretty well. The you make a small incision
> in the glass, and try to hit it right there.
>
> This was taught in the navy. Don't boys learn such stuff there anymore?

In the scouts we learned to wrap some twine around it, soaked in
spirits: Put a match to it, let it burn for a short while, then hit the
glass.

Relatively often, this results in a nice cut where the twine was.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>
From: Terje Mathisen on
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> What airline do you fly that has large glass bottles?

SAS, KLM, BA, Lufthansa, Continental, plus probably a few I've forgotten:

Taxfree bottles!

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>
From: Jack Peacock on
"Joe Pfeiffer" <pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu> wrote in message
> What airline do you fly that has large glass bottles?

China Airways, on the Los Angeles to Taipei flight. At least in business
class, the cart is stacked high with real wine bottles.
Jack Peacock