From: Joe Pfeiffer on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com writes:

> In article <d5d3fh$rp7$1(a)nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
> Andrew Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> wrote:
> >jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> >[snip]
> >

> >> <clap, clap> I talked about this with Mom last night. I
> >> apparently lied when I told the story about my nephew. It
> >> wasn't a butter knife but a screwdriver which he had
> >> put into his pocket after fixing the lawn mower and then
> >> went to school. By all means, let us teach kids not to
> >> fix anything.
> >
> >Screwdrivers are a different matter. The woodwork room should be
> >equipped with screwdrivers and the children made to return them at the
> >end of the lesson.
>
> What lesson? The kid was fixing his mother's lawn mower before
> he left for school. I can't tell you how many times I've find
> various tools in my back pocket because I'd finished using them
> and went on to other things.

And, of course, my son always has a small screwdriver in his clarinet
case (a screwdriver which was confiscated as a potential weapon once
when the band was getting on an airplane).
From: K Williams on
In article <1b64xw8o32.fsf(a)cs.nmsu.edu>, pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu says...
> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid> writes:
>
> > Crew hostages?
>
> What airline do you fly that has large glass bottles?

Carry-on from the duty free shop?

--
Keith
From: Steve O'Hara-Smith on
On 06 May 2005 07:47:06 -0600
Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:

> And, of course, my son always has a small screwdriver in his clarinet
> case (a screwdriver which was confiscated as a potential weapon once
> when the band was getting on an airplane).

They presumably ignored the possibility of the carinet case being
used as a cosh.
From: Morten Reistad on
In article <d5dhod01pjg(a)news4.newsguy.com>,
Norman Yarvin <norman.yarvin(a)snet.net> wrote:
>In article <d5a5rr$tms$1(a)osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>,
>Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> wrote:
>
>>Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?
>
>Me. Bottles are not as easy to break as the movies show; and once broken
>they're liable to break further, likely shattering in the wielder's hand.

So you wrap something around the nect of the bottle that will protect you.
thick leather, canvas, linen will do pretty well. The you make a small incision
in the glass, and try to hit it right there.

This was taught in the navy. Don't boys learn such stuff there anymore?

-- mrr
From: Steve O'Hara-Smith on
On Fri, 06 May 2005 16:30:02 GMT
Morten Reistad <firstname(a)lastname.pr1v.n0> wrote:

> So you wrap something around the nect of the bottle that will protect you.
> thick leather, canvas, linen will do pretty well.

OK I can take that on board ...

> The you make a small incision
> in the glass, and try to hit it right there.

I was about to comment on the difficulty of carrying a suitable
implement for the purpose through security when my brain popped up with
diamond rings. Confiscating those at the security check would be very
unpopular :)