From: rpl on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> In article <IIydneqywLiqMerfRVn-iA(a)rogers.com>,
> rpl <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

>>><snip>

>>>You've never been on a farm? Or work?
>>><snip>
>>
>>yup; you oversnipped:
>

> Sorry about that.

>>If'n I was the "coatcheck" person, I'd be inclined to charge extra for
>>packages with explosive potential or livestock.
>

> There's a difference between the two?

Totally different handling/storage requirements... wasn't there a blurb
on "exploding cattle" awhile ago ?

rpl

From: rpl on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> In article <asSdnfuDs-N-LerfRVn-pQ(a)rogers.com>,
> rpl <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>>

>>>Nope. Anybody who debugs hard/software uses this rigor. Think
>>>about it. Isolating the symptom is really based on making an
>>>assumptions, demonstrating their validity, and slowly eliminating
>>>facts that don't matter or interfere with exercising the "proof".
>>>

>>That's as close to a formal definition of debugging I've ever heard.
>

> [blushing emoticon here] Thanks. Do me a favor. Fix the
> post so it read well, claim attribution, and .sig it.
> I'm getting weary of seeing people not know this is how
> work gets done.

I tried to yesterday; my redux of "making assumptions" to eliminate
negative connotations caused more problems.

>>>Practical applications: Fixing the damned bugs.
>>
>>though I think that the "fixin'" part should be the job of the original
>>writer, so it doesn't reoccur.
>
> That would be justice. :-) Sometimes, one does have to do
> the fixing because having the original coder do the work
> would never get the bug fixed and introduce more code
> designed to produce headaches in your head. Have you ever
> noticed that these types never delete code unless it's a
> vital body part?

Why would they? That'd be tantamount to admitting error (as opposed to a
"transitory mental typo" or something). In the same vein, the rewriter
who cuts down the code by 50% isn't producing an "original" (well
sometimes) but more of a "joint effort".

rpl

From: Bill Leary on
"rpl" <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
> > There's a difference between the two?
>
> Totally different handling/storage requirements... wasn't there a blurb
> on "exploding cattle" awhile ago ?

Well, there's been the bits about exploding toads in Germany.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050428/od_afp/germanytoadsoffbeat_050428171533;_ylt=Am397.By9q6KBBVfLZUa7GOgOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Or are you thinking of the comedy bit about exploding cows?

- Bill

From: rpl on
Bill Leary wrote:
> "rpl" <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>>
>>>There's a difference between the two?
>>
>>Totally different handling/storage requirements... wasn't there a blurb
>>on "exploding cattle" awhile ago ?
>

> Well, there's been the bits about exploding toads in Germany.
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050428/od_afp/germanytoadsoffbeat_050428171533;_ylt=Am397.By9q6KBBVfLZUa7GOgOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

yeah thats an odd one... barring religious causes, I'm guessing mutant
bacteria.

> Or are you thinking of the comedy bit about exploding cows?

mighta been it (something about transporting them), it wasn't a serious
piece.

rpl

From: Andrew Reilly on
On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:37:17 +0000, jmfbahciv wrote:
> If you want supper, you either shoot it or hook it.

Didn't they invent farming, somewhere between six and twelve thousand
years ago, to avoid that?

--
Andrew