From: Brian Inglis on
On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:37:51 -0400 in alt.folklore.computers, rpl
<plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Bill Leary wrote:
>> "rpl" <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Totally different handling/storage requirements... wasn't there a blurb
>>>on "exploding cattle" awhile ago ?
>>
>> Well, there's been the bits about exploding toads in Germany.
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050428/od_afp/germanytoadsoffbeat_050428171533;_ylt=Am397.By9q6KBBVfLZUa7GOgOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
>
>yeah thats an odd one... barring religious causes, I'm guessing mutant
>bacteria.

IIRC birds found that if they threatened the toads, they'd puff up,
and if they were then pecked, they'd explode, making the liver and
guts easily accessible.

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: Patrick Scheible on
Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> writes:

> Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

> >>So can my fingers. How do I leave those at the reception desk?
> >

> > And spoons and forks can too.
> >
> > It's that I don't have much of an inclination to mess
> > with airport security, but whenever I fly KLM I get
> > a metal knife/fork/spoon. I wonder what would happen if
> > I take one out of the plane and then try to take it back
> > on the return trip.
>
> Stainless steel cutlery on all international flights to/from the US is
> of course nice, however it really doesn't matter at all when you
> consider that all airlines gladly sell you firebomb-making gear while
> onboard:
>
> High-proof Jamaica Rum, plus a regular (linen or cotton) napkin plus a
> match == Molotov cocktail, right?

What proof alcohol do you need? We had so much trouble getting the 80 proof
brandy to flame for plum pudding at christmas that we had to switch to
stronger, and preheat it. And that's just to burn, not to explode.

> Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?

Those itty-bitty bottles they give you on planes? Wouldn't do much.

-- Patrick
From: Morten Reistad on
In article <tqmll6uq5jw.fsf(a)drizzle.com>,
Patrick Scheible <kkt(a)drizzle.com> wrote:
>Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> writes:
>
>> Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
>> > =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen-not(a)mediasec.de> writes:
>>
>> High-proof Jamaica Rum, plus a regular (linen or cotton) napkin plus a
>> match == Molotov cocktail, right?
>
>What proof alcohol do you need? We had so much trouble getting the 80 proof
>brandy to flame for plum pudding at christmas that we had to switch to
>stronger, and preheat it. And that's just to burn, not to explode.

AFAIR you need 44% alcohol to make it burn, somewhat less with a high
level of additional suger added. The really bad drink is when the ice
cubes go to the BOTTOM of the glass.

>> Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?
>
>Those itty-bitty bottles they give you on planes? Wouldn't do much.

Taxfree sales.

-- mrr

From: Morten Reistad on
In article <3dra94F6t8qodU1(a)individual.net>,
Jan Vorbrýggen <jvorbrueggen-not(a)mediasec.de> wrote:

>> Why? Because the kids were trusted? Because firearms were regarded
>> as being like any other implement?
>
>Two reasons: one, hereabouts, one doesn't regard a firearm as a normal
>implement - but that is a different discussion. Second, I have a ten-year
>old, and I definitely wouldn't trust him with a firearm of any kind with-
>out close supervision. But then, we don't trust sixteen-year-olds with
>driving a car, either.

Around here, 12 is the legal age to handle a firearm. When I was 12 and
a few weeks I was dragged along to the rifle range to get some respect for
guns. After a few rounds with a Krag-Jorgensen I had plenty respect all right.
(this gun seemed like a small cannon to a 12-year old, and I guess that was
on purpose.).

Later experiences with AG3, MP5 etc. struck me as being downright easy in
comparison.

-- mrr
From: Terje Mathisen on
K Williams wrote:

> In article <d5a5rr$tms$1(a)osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>,
> terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com says...
>>PS. Here in Norway they've also made it illegal to carry knifes around
>>downtown, unless they are part of some form of uniform.
>>
>>I.e. when wearing my traditional Telemark costume, the richly decorated
>>knife is OK, and all my scouts can wear their knives as long as they
>>also wear at least the scout's scarf. :-)
>
> Amazing.

You think so?

Well, the alternative would have been no knife ban at all, because
_everyone_ agreed that you couldn't ban them from the 'Bunads' we all
like to wear for 17th Mai (constitution day). :-)

>>About 10-15 years ago several military storage bunkers were broken into
>>and rifles, machine guns and hand grenades etc stolen from them. The
>>knee-jerk reaction was to force almost all Home Guard/Reserve Officer
>>personell to hand over their rifles & ammo, even though theft of
>>military weapons from private residences had never been a problem. :-(
>

> So you hand them over to the authorities so they can lock them up in
> the military storage bunkers that were broken into? Some plan that!

Yes indeed.

I think you have to suffer from several kinds of mental blindness to not
see the illogic in that. :-(

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>