From: Terje Mathisen on
Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen-not(a)mediasec.de> writes:
>

>>>A butter knife can take an eye out.
>

>>So can my fingers. How do I leave those at the reception desk?
>

> And spoons and forks can too.
>
> It's that I don't have much of an inclination to mess
> with airport security, but whenever I fly KLM I get
> a metal knife/fork/spoon. I wonder what would happen if
> I take one out of the plane and then try to take it back
> on the return trip.

Stainless steel cutlery on all international flights to/from the US is
of course nice, however it really doesn't matter at all when you
consider that all airlines gladly sell you firebomb-making gear while
onboard:

High-proof Jamaica Rum, plus a regular (linen or cotton) napkin plus a
match == Molotov cocktail, right?

Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?

Terje

PS. Here in Norway they've also made it illegal to carry knifes around
downtown, unless they are part of some form of uniform.

I.e. when wearing my traditional Telemark costume, the richly decorated
knife is OK, and all my scouts can wear their knives as long as they
also wear at least the scout's scarf. :-)

The strange part here is that traditionally, Norway has been so
dependent upon hunting & fishing (only 2.6% of the country is even
potentially arable, according to the CIA Fact book), that we never even
considered stuff like this to be weapons:

Shotguns were unregistered and available to anyone over 16, while all
Home Guard members, plus all reserve officers in all service branches
would keep their full basic kit, including their AG3 (Heckler & Koch ?)
full auto rifle at home. It made Norway to most heavily armed country in
the world, alongside Switzerland.

About 10-15 years ago several military storage bunkers were broken into
and rifles, machine guns and hand grenades etc stolen from them. The
knee-jerk reaction was to force almost all Home Guard/Reserve Officer
personell to hand over their rifles & ammo, even though theft of
military weapons from private residences had never been a problem. :-(

--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>
From: David on
On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:49:46 +0200, Terje Mathisen wrote:

> Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

>>>So can my fingers. How do I leave those at the reception desk?
>>

>> And spoons and forks can too.
>>
>> It's that I don't have much of an inclination to mess
>> with airport security, but whenever I fly KLM I get
>> a metal knife/fork/spoon. I wonder what would happen if
>> I take one out of the plane and then try to take it back
>> on the return trip.
>
> Stainless steel cutlery on all international flights to/from the US is
> of course nice, however it really doesn't matter at all when you
> consider that all airlines gladly sell you firebomb-making gear while
> onboard:
>
> High-proof Jamaica Rum, plus a regular (linen or cotton) napkin plus a
> match == Molotov cocktail, right?
>
> Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?
>
> Terje
>
> PS. Here in Norway they've also made it illegal to carry knifes around
> downtown, unless they are part of some form of uniform.

It used to be legal to have your skean dhu (small sharp knife work in a
kilt sock) on planes, as long as you were wearing a full kilt getup. It
is, I believe, legal to have them here in Norway in the same way as it is
legal to have the Norwegian knifes with your bunad. I wonder, however, if
it is still legal to have a skean dhu with a kilt in Scotland?

> I.e. when wearing my traditional Telemark costume, the richly decorated
> knife is OK, and all my scouts can wear their knives as long as they
> also wear at least the scout's scarf. :-)
>
> The strange part here is that traditionally, Norway has been so
> dependent upon hunting & fishing (only 2.6% of the country is even
> potentially arable, according to the CIA Fact book), that we never even
> considered stuff like this to be weapons:

I guess in Norway (and Switzerland) there just isn't the same tradition of
shooting people as there is in the USA. It happens occasionally, but I
don't think the availability of guns (or knives) make any difference to
violent crime here. For some reason, it seems to be a different matter in
the USA.

From: jmfbahciv on
In article <IIydneqywLiqMerfRVn-iA(a)rogers.com>,
rpl <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>> In article <LO6dnb-vyozPmerfRVn-tA(a)rogers.com>,
>> rpl <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>> <snip>

>>>nope; don't see any reason why a student should carry one on school
>>>grounds, either.
>>

>> You've never been on a farm? Or work?
>> <snip>
>
>yup; you oversnipped:

Sorry about that.

>|| ? I'm not familiar with what you mean by "zero tolerance", but given
>|| a "check-in" procedure, I see no problems.
>
>If'n I was the "coatcheck" person, I'd be inclined to charge extra for
>packages with explosive potential or livestock.

There's a difference between the two?

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
From: jmfbahciv on
In article <1115125770.355052(a)haldjas.folklore.ee>,
Sander Vesik <sander(a)haldjas.folklore.ee> wrote:

>> > zero tolerance of what? bringing fully automatic weapons onto school
>> > grounds?
>>
>> It wasn't that long ago when it was not uncommon for children from about
>> 10 years old and up to bring weapons to school, rifles shotguns that
were
>> stored in the school gun rack or cloak room during school hours. The
>
>I'm really glad I never have lived and am never going to live anywhere
>where such could happen, never mind be considered the norm.

If you want supper, you either shoot it or hook it. When my
Dad was a kid and his father got a hankering for fish, my
father would be told to take his pole and get supper. When
I was a child, I'd be told to go pick the vegetables Mom wanted
for dinner.

My brother rarely buys meat from the grocery store because
he stocks up his larder with venison, rabbit, and turkey
and other birds that happen to fly past the window....all
within hunting season...of course. Hunting licenses are getting
to be a PITA.

From: jmfbahciv on
In article <asSdnfuDs-N-LerfRVn-pQ(a)rogers.com>,
rpl <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>

>> Nope. Anybody who debugs hard/software uses this rigor. Think
>> about it. Isolating the symptom is really based on making an
>> assumptions, demonstrating their validity, and slowly eliminating
>> facts that don't matter or interfere with exercising the "proof".
>>

>That's as close to a formal definition of debugging I've ever heard.

[blushing emoticon here] Thanks. Do me a favor. Fix the
post so it read well, claim attribution, and .sig it.
I'm getting weary of seeing people not know this is how
work gets done.

>> Practical applications: Fixing the damned bugs.
>
>though I think that the "fixin'" part should be the job of the original
>writer, so it doesn't reoccur.

That would be justice. :-) Sometimes, one does have to do
the fixing because having the original coder do the work
would never get the bug fixed and introduce more code
designed to produce headaches in your head. Have you ever
noticed that these types never delete code unless it's a
vital body part?