From: Terje Mathisen on
Patrick Scheible wrote:

> Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> writes:
>>High-proof Jamaica Rum, plus a regular (linen or cotton) napkin plus a
>>match == Molotov cocktail, right?
>
> What proof alcohol do you need? We had so much trouble getting the 80 proof
> brandy to flame for plum pudding at christmas that we had to switch to
> stronger, and preheat it. And that's just to burn, not to explode.

About 60% (120 proof) should do, this is why I specified Rum which is
available in higher proofs than most other forms of alcohol.

>>Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?
>
> Those itty-bitty bottles they give you on planes? Wouldn't do much.

I'm not talking about those, even though they are much more dangerous
than the 8-12 mm 'blade' at the end of a nail cutter.

All international flights I've been on recently would try to sell me
Tax-free bottles while on board, and you could of course bring at least
two liters of stuff you bought before boarding.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>
From: rpl on
Herman Rubin wrote:
> In article <IIydneqywLiqMerfRVn-iA(a)rogers.com>,
> rpl <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

> <snip>

> When I was in elementary school in Chicago, it was common
> for boys to carry pocket knives.

me2, and even though I don't recall a large number of people spending
their free time whittling, it definitely passed under admin radar.

Rick
From: rpl on
Morten Reistad wrote:

>>>Why? Because the kids were trusted? Because firearms were regarded
>>>as being like any other implement?
>>
>>Two reasons: one, hereabouts, one doesn't regard a firearm as a normal
>>implement - but that is a different discussion. Second, I have a ten-year
>>old, and I definitely wouldn't trust him with a firearm of any kind with-
>>out close supervision. But then, we don't trust sixteen-year-olds with
>>driving a car, either.
>

> Around here, 12 is the legal age to handle a firearm. When I was 12 and
> a few weeks I was dragged along to the rifle range to get some respect for
> guns. After a few rounds with a Krag-Jorgensen I had plenty respect all right.
> (this gun seemed like a small cannon to a 12-year old, and I guess that was
> on purpose.).
>
> Later experiences with AG3, MP5 etc. struck me as being downright easy in
> comparison.

I don't imagine there'd be any comparison with the MP5, but like all
(semi)-autos, the AG3 does bleed off a bit to run the extractor (I'm
assuming the KJ is a bolt-action).

rpl

From: Larry Elmore on
Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

>>>So can my fingers. How do I leave those at the reception desk?
>>

>>And spoons and forks can too.
>>
>>It's that I don't have much of an inclination to mess
>>with airport security, but whenever I fly KLM I get
>>a metal knife/fork/spoon. I wonder what would happen if
>>I take one out of the plane and then try to take it back
>>on the return trip.
>

> Stainless steel cutlery on all international flights to/from the US is
> of course nice, however it really doesn't matter at all when you
> consider that all airlines gladly sell you firebomb-making gear while
> onboard:
>
> High-proof Jamaica Rum, plus a regular (linen or cotton) napkin plus a
> match == Molotov cocktail, right?
>
> Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?
>
> Terje
>
> PS. Here in Norway they've also made it illegal to carry knifes around
> downtown, unless they are part of some form of uniform.
>
> I.e. when wearing my traditional Telemark costume, the richly decorated
> knife is OK, and all my scouts can wear their knives as long as they
> also wear at least the scout's scarf. :-)
>
> The strange part here is that traditionally, Norway has been so
> dependent upon hunting & fishing (only 2.6% of the country is even
> potentially arable, according to the CIA Fact book), that we never even
> considered stuff like this to be weapons:
>
> Shotguns were unregistered and available to anyone over 16, while all
> Home Guard members, plus all reserve officers in all service branches
> would keep their full basic kit, including their AG3 (Heckler & Koch ?)
> full auto rifle at home. It made Norway to most heavily armed country in
> the world, alongside Switzerland.
>
> About 10-15 years ago several military storage bunkers were broken into
> and rifles, machine guns and hand grenades etc stolen from them. The
> knee-jerk reaction was to force almost all Home Guard/Reserve Officer
> personell to hand over their rifles & ammo, even though theft of
> military weapons from private residences had never been a problem. :-(

That was just about too predictable. :-(

Go after the "easy" solution for a problem that doesn't exist and claim
they're addressing the real problem.

--Larry
From: Kelly Hall on
Larry Elmore wrote:
> Go after the "easy" solution for a problem that doesn't exist and claim
> they're addressing the real problem.

It's all part of "security theater".

Kelly