From: Bernd Felsche on
rpl <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> writes:

>Larry Elmore wrote:

>> A high court in rapidly self-emasculating England has ruled that a
>> butter-knife is indeed a dangerous offensive weapon...

>Well, given rising cholesterol awareness, I'm not surprised.

Which cholesterol? The stuff you eat or the stuff your body makes if
you don't eat it?

"Proof" that cholesterol has much to do with health is fairly slim
and largely based on post hoc fallacy; much like obesity being
causing arthritis...
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
X against HTML mail | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \ and postings | to help me spread!
From: Joe Pfeiffer on
(I hope I've got the attribution right. If not, I apologize in advance)
> > Sander Vesik wrote:

> > > I'm really glad I never have lived and am never going to live anywhere
> > > where such could happen, never mind be considered the norm.

Why? Because the kids were trusted? Because firearms were regarded
as being like any other implement?
From: Jan Vorbrüggen on

> Why? Because the kids were trusted? Because firearms were regarded
> as being like any other implement?

Two reasons: one, hereabouts, one doesn't regard a firearm as a normal
implement - but that is a different discussion. Second, I have a ten-year
old, and I definitely wouldn't trust him with a firearm of any kind with-
out close supervision. But then, we don't trust sixteen-year-olds with
driving a car, either.

Jan
From: Kelly Hall on
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> (I hope I've got the attribution right. If not, I apologize in advance)

> Why? Because the kids were trusted? Because firearms were regarded
> as being like any other implement?

I remember spending a week in 7th grade being lectured firearm safety.
On Friday, we all went to the gyms to fire a few rounds of .22 to
demonstrate what we'd learned. All students were required to attend and
pass. Frankly, we were all eager to learn - it was a lot more fun (and
useful) than diagramming sentences.

That would have been fall 1976 or spring 1977 and I would have been 11
or 12. Has the world changed so much since then?

Kelly
From: Brian Inglis on
On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:31:42 -0500 in alt.folklore.computers, Larry
Elmore <ljelmore_(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

>>>"Zero tolerance" means "zero thinking" -- the administration claims NOT to have any
>>>responsibility, becuase all judgement has been taken out of the process. So when
>>>a butter knife is found in the open back of apick-up truck, the Honors Senior
>>>who drove (his Mother's truck) to school is suspended, and put into a diversion
>>>program for juvenile delinquents with violence problems. Justification: "Zero
>>>Tolerance"
>>
>> And a butter knife isn't even a knife; it has "knife" in its name but that
>> doesn't make it a knife in the sense of "dangerous object with sharp edge
>> or point".
>
>A high court in rapidly self-emasculating England has ruled that a
>butter-knife is indeed a dangerous offensive weapon...

My wife was required to put a set of butter knives (don't ask -- I
don't remember!) into checked luggage just pre-9/11.

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply