From: Steve O'Hara-Smith on
On Thu, 5 May 2005 15:33:07 +0000 (UTC)
Andrew Swallow <am.swallow(a)btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Compasses are maths thingies. No self respecting thug is going to be
> seen dead using anything so nerdy. ;)

Hmm - I once had one stuck into me by one of the more annoying thugs
in the school. Everyone had to have one so I presume he found sticking it
into people a less nerdy use of the implement than the intended use.
From: Norman Yarvin on
In article <d5a5rr$tms$1(a)osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>,
Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> wrote:

>Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?

Me. Bottles are not as easy to break as the movies show; and once broken
they're liable to break further, likely shattering in the wielder's hand.

--
Norman Yarvin http://yarchive.net
From: Brian Inglis on
fOn Wed, 4 May 2005 12:23:16 -0400 in alt.folklore.computers, K
Williams <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:

>In article <d5a5rr$tms$1(a)osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>,
>terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com says...
>> Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

>> > And spoons and forks can too.
>> >
>> > It's that I don't have much of an inclination to mess
>> > with airport security, but whenever I fly KLM I get
>> > a metal knife/fork/spoon. I wonder what would happen if
>> > I take one out of the plane and then try to take it back
>> > on the return trip.
>>
>> Stainless steel cutlery on all international flights to/from the US is
>> of course nice, however it really doesn't matter at all when you
>> consider that all airlines gladly sell you firebomb-making gear while
>> onboard:
>>
>> High-proof Jamaica Rum, plus a regular (linen or cotton) napkin plus a
>> match == Molotov cocktail, right?
>
>Matches are now banned on US flights.

Thought it was lighters in carry on: but matches still allowed. Used
to play with igniting things using batteries and wire wool as a kid.
They don't seem to have banned those yet.

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: K Williams on
In article <hmmk71l2cbsajhhcsgderet5qc4c8klocr(a)4ax.com>,
Brian.Inglis(a)SystematicSW.Invalid says...
> fOn Wed, 4 May 2005 12:23:16 -0400 in alt.folklore.computers, K
> Williams <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
> >In article <d5a5rr$tms$1(a)osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>,
> >terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com says...

> >> Stainless steel cutlery on all international flights to/from the US is
> >> of course nice, however it really doesn't matter at all when you
> >> consider that all airlines gladly sell you firebomb-making gear while
> >> onboard:
> >>
> >> High-proof Jamaica Rum, plus a regular (linen or cotton) napkin plus a
> >> match == Molotov cocktail, right?
> >
> >Matches are now banned on US flights.
>
> Thought it was lighters in carry on: but matches still allowed. Used
> to play with igniting things using batteries and wire wool as a kid.
> They don't seem to have banned those yet.

Lighters have been banned for years (pre-911), from even checked
luggage. The match ban is relatively new (last month or so, I
believe).

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/air-banned-items.htm

--
Keith
From: Nick Maclaren on
In article <MPG.1ce429f9bff20fdd989a32(a)news.individual.net>,
K Williams <krw(a)att.bizzzz> wrote:

>> >Matches are now banned on US flights.
>>
>> Thought it was lighters in carry on: but matches still allowed. Used
>> to play with igniting things using batteries and wire wool as a kid.
>> They don't seem to have banned those yet.
>
>Lighters have been banned for years (pre-911), from even checked
>luggage. The match ban is relatively new (last month or so, I
>believe).

Matches and lighters may only be carried on your person. However,
"strike-anywhere" matches, lighters with flammable liquid reservoirs
and lighter fluid are forbidden.

That rule as far as regards matches goes back a long time, perhaps
several decades. The one about lighters is newer, but might still
be a decade old.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.