From: Brian Inglis on
On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:19:31 +0200 in alt.folklore.computers, David
<david.nospam(a)westcontrol.removethis.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:22:11 -0500, Larry Elmore wrote:
>
>> Del Cecchi wrote:
>>> "rpl" <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Zero Tolerance of anything "resembling" a weapon. Search on it. Children
>>> have been suspended for small (inches) plastic toy GI Joe guns, knives
>>> suitable for peeling a peach, drawing pictures of guns, having bb guns in
>>> their cars, having any kind of pocket knives.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you should learn something before speaking.
>>
>> Most recently a large burrito was the grave danger.
>>
>> http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2005-04-29-burrito_x.htm
>
>Recently the US president (and vice-president, I believe) were sent
>running to their underground bunker by a suspicious looking cloud...

They thought it was an omen of a Burning Bush?

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: Herman Rubin on
In article <IIydneqywLiqMerfRVn-iA(a)rogers.com>,
rpl <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>> In article <LO6dnb-vyozPmerfRVn-tA(a)rogers.com>,
>> rpl <plinnane3REMOVE(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>>nope; don't see any reason why a student should carry one on school
>>>grounds, either.

When I was in elementary school in Chicago, it was common
for boys to carry pocket knives.

hrubin(a)stat.purdue.edu Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
From: CBFalconer on
Andrew Swallow wrote:
> Larry Elmore wrote:
>> Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> And a butter knife isn't even a knife; it has "knife" in its
>>> name but that doesn't make it a knife in the sense of "dangerous
>>> object with sharp edge or point".
>>
>> A high court in rapidly self-emasculating England has ruled that
>> a butter-knife is indeed a dangerous offensive weapon...
>
> A butter knife can take an eye out. Sharpen it, as happened in
> the legal case, and you can stab between the ribs damaging the
> vital organs.

So carry around a 3/8 inch bolt, a file, and a whetstone. This
search for absolute safety is ridiculous. What was that Williamson
novel about the humanoids back in the '40s?

BTW a ball point pen can do much more damage than a butter knife.

From: K Williams on
In article <d5a5rr$tms$1(a)osl016lin.hda.hydro.com>,
terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com says...
> Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

> >>So can my fingers. How do I leave those at the reception desk?
> >

> > And spoons and forks can too.
> >
> > It's that I don't have much of an inclination to mess
> > with airport security, but whenever I fly KLM I get
> > a metal knife/fork/spoon. I wonder what would happen if
> > I take one out of the plane and then try to take it back
> > on the return trip.
>
> Stainless steel cutlery on all international flights to/from the US is
> of course nice, however it really doesn't matter at all when you
> consider that all airlines gladly sell you firebomb-making gear while
> onboard:
>
> High-proof Jamaica Rum, plus a regular (linen or cotton) napkin plus a
> match == Molotov cocktail, right?

Matches are now banned on US flights.

> Besides, who needs a sharp knife when a broken whiskey bottle is handy?
>
> Terje
>
> PS. Here in Norway they've also made it illegal to carry knifes around
> downtown, unless they are part of some form of uniform.
>
> I.e. when wearing my traditional Telemark costume, the richly decorated
> knife is OK, and all my scouts can wear their knives as long as they
> also wear at least the scout's scarf. :-)

Amazing.

> The strange part here is that traditionally, Norway has been so
> dependent upon hunting & fishing (only 2.6% of the country is even
> potentially arable, according to the CIA Fact book), that we never even
> considered stuff like this to be weapons:
>
> Shotguns were unregistered and available to anyone over 16, while all
> Home Guard members, plus all reserve officers in all service branches
> would keep their full basic kit, including their AG3 (Heckler & Koch ?)
> full auto rifle at home. It made Norway to most heavily armed country in
> the world, alongside Switzerland.
>
> About 10-15 years ago several military storage bunkers were broken into
> and rifles, machine guns and hand grenades etc stolen from them. The
> knee-jerk reaction was to force almost all Home Guard/Reserve Officer
> personell to hand over their rifles & ammo, even though theft of
> military weapons from private residences had never been a problem. :-(

So you hand them over to the authorities so they can lock them up in
the military storage bunkers that were broken into? Some plan that!

--
Keith
From: Patrick Scheible on
Kelly Hall <khall(a)acm.org> writes:

> Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> > (I hope I've got the attribution right. If not, I apologize in advance)

> > Why? Because the kids were trusted? Because firearms were regarded
> > as being like any other implement?
>
> I remember spending a week in 7th grade being lectured firearm
> safety. On Friday, we all went to the gyms to fire a few rounds of .22
> to demonstrate what we'd learned. All students were required to
> attend and pass. Frankly, we were all eager to learn - it was a lot
> more fun (and useful) than diagramming sentences.
>
> That would have been fall 1976 or spring 1977 and I would have been 11
> or 12. Has the world changed so much since then?

It clearly depends where you are. I got not a single word about
firearm safety in school, and I am a couple of years older than you
are. But I was living in Palo Alto where there is no hunting culture.
I don't even remember if there was a policy specifically about
firearms in school because it never came up.

We did get to do archery for a while in P.E. That was a lot of fun.

-- Patrick