From: Patrick Scheible on
"Del Cecchi" <dcecchi.nospam(a)att.net> writes:

> "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary(a)msn.com> wrote in message
> > <jmfbahciv(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> One of the problems
> >> with home-schooling is that these kids are limited to the biases,
> >> beliefs, and knowledge of parents and are never exposed to
> >> other kinds of thinking, experience and knowhow.
>
> And one of the problems with "Government Monopoly Schools" is that the kids
> are limited to the biases and knowledge of the teachers and curriculum
> consultants. :-)

Sure, but as the kids go through school they'll encounter many
different teachers and their biases will tend to balance out.

-- Patrick
From: Kevin G. Rhoads on
>1. Reverse reductio ad absurdum. If presented with two reasonable but
>incongrous arguments, there MUST be at least one false underlying
>assumption. This shows the insanity of nearly all political arguments.

Please, to justify the assumption that "logic" and "politics" have
aught to do with one another?
From: David Kanter on
I definitely could have used something like this in 9th grade. To be
honest, I never really did anything like this until my undergraudate
thesis, and I didn't do it to my full satisfaction. But at least now I
know how to...

David

From: Steve Richfie1d on
Morten, et al,

>>Schools exist for two main reasons; the primary one is to provide an
>>"education" (which in reality only needs to be "how to learn stuff"
>>training)

>>and to teach conformity to societal norms.

There are two very different interpretations of this, and THIS is where
the schools and our family part company. The two interpretations are:

1. Indoctrinate the kids to think "normally", accept commonly accepted
social values, etc., as the schools now attempt to do.

2. Teach the kids to ACT (i.e. fake being) completely normal as needed,
but without transforming or restricting their thought processes. I did
this by signing the kids up to Toastmasters when they were ready. A
local group accepted them despite their young age because they could
easily carry on adult-level conversations and generally "fit in" with
the group, give speeches, etc. Of course, official membership had to
wait until they reached 18. It is sure interesting to hear the kids'
impressions of things when they are out of earshot of the other members!

BTW, the original justification for schools was to have a sufficiently
educated electorate to vote intelligently on the issues. In this they
have failed miserably.

Steve Richfie1d
From: Stan Barr on
On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:36:36 +0200, Terje Mathisen
<terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> wrote:

>The GPS signal is well below the ambient noise floor, it is only
>recoverable at all due to spread spectrum techniques, where a 1023 bit
>(afair) spreading code is unique to each satellite.

AFAIR the GPS signal is below the noise floor *because* of the spread
spectrum technique. Spread spectrum is used to make the signal less
vulnerable to jamming. Transmitting on a single frequency would be a
security and reliablility risk.
Satellites of similar power and orbit as GPS birds are easily heard
when transmitting on a single frequency, I've even used them with a
hand-held walkie-talkie.

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!